ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Branch Specific Posts  Hop To Forums  Armor    Spur Ride Mandatory
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spur Ride Mandatory
 Login/Join

posted
Looking for a FM or AR concerning a spur ride. want to see if it is mandatory and if a unit can make you do one.

Posts: 4 | Registered: 26 February 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Seriously? You have to pick your battles in the military, otherise you'll end up being the whiny baby in the unit. This isn't one you want to try to fight, save it for something else. Hell my wife complains about deeper issues.

Posts: 2621 | Registered: 08 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I went on the Spur ride and wasn't a scout nor Armor and it was a good thing to go through. As Corvette said pick and choose your battles this will only give you an experience you otherwise wouldn't have.

Posts: 625 | Registered: 19 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
yes seriously, i am getting out in the next couple months and dont really care about the experience just want to know the regulation and if they can make you do it.

Posts: 4 | Registered: 26 February 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Go Ordnance
posted Hide Post
There is no regulation for a "spur ride" it is a cavalry tradition more or less. There is usually certain criteria you have to meet in order for someone to sponsor you for the spur ride. Wether it be a 270 or higher on the APFT, shoot expert at the range, that kind of stuff.

"If you do not stand by me at my worst, you WILL NOT stand by me at my best."

Posts: 719 | Location: Fort Lee | Registered: 18 May 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of AutobahnSHO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scrname:
... just want to know the regulation and if they can make you do it.

Yes they can- regulation is called the oath of enlistment. Wink

Be Proud of what you do- and do it Well! ~me

Posts: 5284 | Location: Ft Gordon (Again!!!) :-| | Registered: 22 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Go Ordnance
posted Hide Post
No they can't, it is not an army wide thing and there is no regulation for it. It is strictly a cavalry event and most soldiers that do the spur ride are sponsored by someone that has already done it. No respectable spur holder would sponsor a soldier that does not want to do it.

Posts: 719 | Location: Fort Lee | Registered: 18 May 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of AutobahnSHO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Go Ordnance:
No they can't, it is not an army wide thing and there is no regulation for it. It is strictly a cavalry event and most soldiers that do the spur ride are sponsored by someone that has already done it. No respectable spur holder would sponsor a soldier that does not want to do it.

But if given an order to go, it would be the Soldier's responsibility to follow that order. Wink

Original Poster should tell their NCO channel they don't want to go, and face the (morally wrong but probable) repercussions.

(like getting some extra shaft out the door...)

Be Proud of what you do- and do it Well! ~me

Posts: 5284 | Location: Ft Gordon (Again!!!) :-| | Registered: 22 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of FIFTYCRUSHPLAN
posted Hide Post
I'm glad this dude is getting out!

Get Some!

Posts: 562 | Location: Fort Carson | Registered: 25 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Go Ordnance
posted Hide Post
No, his NCO's are just F'd up. If I had a soldier that didn't want to participate in the spur ride, so be it but then he would be put on detail for that spur ride. No sense in making a Soldier do a spur ride when the spur ride isn't even an army event. Sounds like they just want their numbers up.

posted Hide Post
Ok, there is not regulation, BUT, it is under FM 7-21.13 The Soldier's Guide, dated 15 Oct 2003, under Traditions. 4.27 Army traditions are the things that everyone in the Army does, everywhere. Unit traditions are the unique things that you do in your unit that other units may or may not do. So yes, it is up to your unit if you do it or don't do it.

Posts: 194 | Location: JBLM, WA | Registered: 22 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Go Ordnance
posted Hide Post
No, they can't make you do it. Every Cavalry unit I have known or ever been in all have requirements to compete in the spur ride. If you do not meet these requirements, you don't compete, simple as that. If he does not want to do it, then he doesn't have to.