ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Branch Specific Posts  Hop To Forums  Aviation    Duty Stations
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Duty Stations
 Login/Join

posted
I have basic May 4th and was told you still list 3 duty stations at reception which you may or may not get. I am interested in deploying frequently so I'm curious as to which places are deployed a lot and am trying to avoid the ones you're stuck with even if you request to be deployed. I'm going into the aviation branch so I'm not sure if that has any effect on the stations or deployments. 15W, UAV operator if that makes a difference. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posts: 275 | Registered: 17 February 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
you will pretty much go where ever the army needs you...the career counselors have an adhoc type of set up and match the assignment's up with the first avalible/qualified soldier. checking the ASK or preference sheet is like the 4th option lol...

1.is the assignment a lifecycle unit or deploying soon. these assignment's will always be filled first.

2.avalible slot for your paygrade and any required additional skill.

3.date you will be avalible to go to the assignment.

4.and then preference...i'd almost always venture to say depending on your MOS coming out of AIT you will likely go to a soon to be deployed or already deployed unit unless they are filled in which case you will go to one that is either returning from deploying. on average.

Posts: 625 | Registered: 19 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
So any advice for someone who wants to be deployed besides just asking for it?

posted Hide Post
if your unit is deploying you are going to...you can also take advantage of the chances in AIT to try out for SF or Airborne...those will give you more options.

Posts: 625 | Registered: 19 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Alright thanks. I was hoping i could just try and get a set in stone way of deploying quickly after AIT but i guess i can just hope to be sent to a unit that is deploying soon =)

Picture of AutobahnSHO
posted Hide Post
Even if you're not in a unit that deploys ask about "taskers".

They'll ask for a Soldier or two in specific MOS to go deploy. Even in units that NEVER deploy.

Be Proud of what you do- and do it Well! ~me

Posts: 5284 | Location: Ft Gordon (Again!!!) :-| | Registered: 22 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thanks i'll do that, the whole reason i joined was to deploy so i'm just trying to not get stuck somehow.

posted Hide Post
if you're going to aviation branch, and want to deploy. Go to 160th SOAR. There you can be assigned to Ft. Campbell, Ky- Hunter Army Airfield, Ga- or Ft. Lewis, Wa.

You can thank me later.

Good luck in green platoon. It's a great time I hear!!

Posts: 126 | Location: CONUS | Registered: 25 September 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tips, i'll thank you in advance!

Thank you all for your help.

Picture of machsoldier
posted Hide Post
Sorry dude. 160th Doesn't accept 15W. They dont have UAV's. Try SOCOM or JSOC. I'm sure they have 15W on their MTOE.

Posts: 278 | Location: Center of the Universe----Ft. Bragg, NC | Registered: 29 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of MattU
posted Hide Post
I have only seen one UAV unit while I was deployed to Iraq (COB Speicher) and it was an MI unit. It seems like a pretty good job. No maintenance stands, no aircraft tow bars, no cranes to do maintenance, etc.

I don't know if UAVs are staying MI or will be entirely AV, or possibly shared between the two. I have noticed that a lot of "regular" units are getting UAV sections.

Good Luck!

Matt

Posts: 394 | Location: Camp Humphreys, ROK | Registered: 25 June 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post