ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Branch Specific Posts  Hop To Forums  Aviation    Special Mission Units
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Special Mission Units
 Login/Join

posted
These units are so classified that I really do not know anything about them. Has anyone here made the cut. I am not talking about 160th SOAR for clarification.

Posts: 2619 | Registered: 08 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
This appears to be something that the military can ACTUALLY keep a secret on by the looks of things.

posted Hide Post
This is the email I received to give you the gist
SGT XXXXXXX XXXX XXXXX

As you know from previous USASED emails you have been identified by the Department of the Army as meeting our initial screening qualifications. Besides filling an operational position (not support) in Special Mission Units (SMU) here are some unique opportunities our mechanic can expect.

After successfully completing of the Assessment and Selection Course (A&S) you will have training opportunities that do not exist elsewhere in your career field. You will PCS to the Military District of Washington to attend the Operations Training Course (OTC). Some of the disciplines focused on in the training course are: infiltration techniques, advanced air operations, professional driving (military/civilian), personal defensive measures, advanced medical, and state-of-the-art computers, communications and digital /video photography.

As part of your training you will also attend civilian aircraft schools to get you FAA certified on fixed wing aircraft. These are not Army or DOD schools. We will then send you to earn your Airframe and Power Plant (A&P) license if you do not already possess it. The purpose of getting you FAA certified is so you will be able to work on any system that the aircraft may have (airframe, powerplant, avionics, hydraulics etc.) You can also expect to attend Airborne School (mandatory) and Military Free Fall (if interested). Other things to keep in mind are 120 deployments only, monthly incentive pays ranging from $1,350 - $2,000, and this will be your last PCS move unless you decide otherwise.

There are limited slots available for the fall 2009 course but we are also processing for the March 2010 course as well. Contact me now if you are interested in either course. The earlier we know you are interested, the earlier we can start working with you, your chain of command, and HRC to establish a timeline that works for everyone.

Danny Soto, SSG

USASED Recruiting Team

Picture of MattU
posted Hide Post
I have gotten a few of these E-Mails, and all of them have mentioned physical performance standards that are waaaayyy up there. The letter posted above is missing that part. Maybe Aviation guys aren't required to maintain that level of fitness anymore? Or was the letter edited/abridged?

Matt

CH-47D/F Mechanic
Technical Inspector

AR 670-1/Regulation Mafia

Posts: 394 | Location: Camp Humphreys, ROK | Registered: 25 June 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of SA Joe
posted Hide Post
Sounds like SFOD-D.

Posts: 123 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: 13 February 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of JC351LPP4
posted Hide Post
USASED (US Army Skills Evaluation Detatchment) is not SFOD-D. SFOD-D will identify themselves as such in their recruitment emails. USASED assignments are in the Military District of Washington. SFOD-D is at Bragg. A couple of guys in my detachment went to USASED selection and got picked up, so its not impossible. If it interests you, give it a shot.

USASED Recruiting: https://www.us.army.mil/suite/portal/index.jsp

Posts: 344 | Location: Fort Belvoir, VA | Registered: 01 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
First if you do not know what you are talking about, be quiet. Second there is a reason they are called SMUs; because we do not accept people like you. I recommend you discuss your inability to keep your collective mouths shut with your S-2 or unit security officer.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 18 May 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of AutobahnSHO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sam66:
First if you do not know what you are talking about, be quiet. Second there is a reason they are called SMUs; because we do not accept people like you. I recommend you discuss your inability to keep your collective mouths shut with your S-2 or unit security officer.

hahahaha Welcome to the forum-

1- those posts were 3 years ago.!

AND, 2- being rude will get you nowhere around here.

Be Proud of what you do- and do it Well! ~me

Posts: 5284 | Location: Ft Gordon (Again!!!) :-| | Registered: 22 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Attention to detail must not be a prereq for Sam's "SMU".

Posts: 259 | Registered: 23 December 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Illernoise
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the internet.

Posts: 660 | Location: Ft. Drum | Registered: 16 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Public_Health_Huh?
posted Hide Post
dafuq is going on here?

Posts: 200 | Location: Presidio of Monterey, California | Registered: 23 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Illernoise
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AMonLNSDQ:
Unlike some people, I can keep my mouth shut and know when not to ask questions. My husband has been selected for assessment to what he called "SMU".

Apparently not...

Posts: 660 | Location: Ft. Drum | Registered: 16 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post