ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Branch Specific Posts  Hop To Forums  Aviation    Navy to Army 15T?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Navy to Army 15T?
 Login/Join

posted
Ok I'm currently in the Navy where I'm a mechanic on MH-60S Knighthawks, which unlike the Navy Seahawk, is a very similar variant of the Blackhawk. I'm considering doing Blue to Green and joining the Army, with the goal to be able to fly. The Navy's aircrew rating (MOS), is vastly overmanned, and there is a 0% chance of me being able to fly, with the exception of becoming an officer and pilot, which will be about 5 years of training.

I just want to hear from some 15T's out there about their opinion on my situation. Minus the minor details with select systems on the bird, I'm an E-5 with a lot of experience with this aircraft. I'm trying to see how it would work to become a crew chief. I would expect going to a maintenance company where I would have to prove what I know, just wanting to see if anybody would have a guestimate on how soon I would begin to learn how to become a crew chief and fly. Thanks for the time.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 01 October 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Nukem1040
posted Hide Post
I was a 15J that recently became a 15E. I'm not a T but I have been around them a lot. Your chances for becoming a pilot are very good in the Army. They need pilots.
If your on a MH-60, why don't you shoot for 160th SOAR to go right back on a MH-60?
From what I've seen, no matter your experience, they will put you in D Co to prove yourself before they put you in a line company. Unless, you have a crap ton for flight and NVG hours, then you should slide right into a line company and start crew chief-ing. Hope this helps.

When was the last time YOU recited and lived by the NCO Creed?

Posts: 138 | Location: Drum | Registered: 15 June 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Are you wanting to be a crew chief or a pilot? Two totally different jobs.

Posts: 121 | Registered: 09 October 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post