Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

tape test
 Login/Join

posted
okie this might sound silly but i need your help: i went to meps in june and failed my physical based on the height and weight, and body mass %...

since then ive lost 20 lbs and in still 20lbs over my max: ive gone from being 7.9% over body mass to being 1.1% over.. but i seem to have bottomed out, nothing's changed in a really long time...

i need advice on, the tape test i know there are recruiiter tricks, please spill 'em im desperate here... i cant wait any longer to go to basic... i cant live at home anymore, and i need to take care of this,

Posts: 2 | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
[url]http://www.armystudyguide.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1594[/url]

[quote:13adc6b31e="neutiquam_erro"]i cant live at home anymore, and i need to take care of this, [/quote:13adc6b31e]

Please make sure you are joining for the right reasons. I can understand not wanting to live at home, but don't run from one problem into another. If getting away from home is the only reason you're joining, then you're going to be disappointed.

Not trying to discourage you here, just trying to save you, me, and the Army some unnecessary heartaches.

Posts: 941 | Location: Joint Base Lewis-McChord, WA | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
no no no, dont get me wrong, im an army brat and ive wanted this my entire life... sorry for the confusion... i didnt realize that could be read as that... my bad.... no ive been ssure about the army... my mom would tell you im in love with the military..

home life is a recent developement... and more over the urgency in getting this done now is that i go back to college in the fall and i need to get basic and ait done before then... i cone i can do split-op but i rather not.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Alright you hit a plato and can't lose any more weight right? Well, I'd say you'd have to change your work out routine. When I first got to the MEPS station I was way over weight and had to do a lot of workout routines...then I hit the plato. I added more running into my workout and reverse crosstraininer. Recheck your food intake too. Good luck!

Posts: 522 | Location: FT Campbell | Registered: 18 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Dreamstalker
posted Hide Post
If you break down what it takes to lose weight to the simplest factor it might help some. To lose weight you have to burn more calories than you consume. The most effective way to burn calories is swimming, running, or biking (in that order). If you have never swam for exercise before I would advise running. Check out these 2 websites that will help you out as a new runner.
http://www.runningforums.com
http://www.coolrunning.com
I am not exactly a new runner but there are some SERIOUS runners on those sites that can help get you started. I have not changed my diet at all beside stopped drinking soda and I have lost 5 pounds in 2 weeks. Once you are with .3 to .5 of tape then the tricks that us recruiter use will be able to help you out.

Posts: 330 | Location: Ft Campbell  | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
before i got deployed i was flagged for tape/weight. a few simple tricks to tape are, flex your neck and of course suck your belly in... but be careful doing this because in the taping you have to be with in a 1/4 inch for all three measurements on the belly and neck, so if you cheat be consistant. the reason i tell you this is because you'll be going to basic when you pass...and you'll lose alot of weight if you're a bigger guy. I weighed 196 going in and came out at 165.

Hope i was a little help

Desert Dogs lead the way, hooah.

Posts: 11 | Location: Ft. Livingroom, Home | Registered: 10 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Sure, there are ways to "Cheat" but at the same time, you want to get PASSED that plato. I can certainly relate. I have always been taped during my 8 1/2 years so far. I'm really short so that doesnt help. But, I've actually made it to a point where I don't have to get taped at all anymore. I realize I'm older now but also my metabolism has gone up and I quit smoking so my pt is better as well. You have to eat healthy, limiting your carb intake and burning more calories than you eat. You need to hit the sauna as well as working out in the gym. You have to be healthy. Do you drink soda? Stop drinking soda. If your addicted to soda, suck it up and drink diet. But lower the amount of carbs you are taking in. I rarely eat bread anymore, I eat mostly sausage and veggies. I don't eat potatoes or bread. And I drink water or low card drinks. Dont just try to "beat" the system, surpass it.

Posts: 34 | Location: Ft Hood, Texas | Registered: 15 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Liquidlunch1812
posted Hide Post
The way I passed the tape test when I first went to MEPS was to rub preperation H all over my gut and sides then sleeping with syran wrap around my gut the night prior to being taped it took a good inch off of me.

Posts: 35 | Location: Hawaii | Registered: 03 March 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
[quote:7c90032bb7]The way I passed the tape test when I first went to MEPS was to rub preperation H all over my gut and sides then sleeping with syran wrap around my gut the night prior to being taped it took a good inch off of me.[/quote:7c90032bb7]
:lol: :shock: i wouldnt have admitted that but i've heard it works wonders lol

Posts: 34 | Location: Ft Hood, Texas | Registered: 15 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
^ So with the Preperation H and Syran Wrap that must be a temporary fix. I would suggest it too to personnel that are barely over the tape test, but suggest for them to continue with the weight loss. :wink:

Posts: 522 | Location: FT Campbell | Registered: 18 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Liquidlunch1812
posted Hide Post
Yup its only a temporary fix it works for that day, I worked my butt off after that because i really didnt want to have to do it again.

Posts: 35 | Location: Hawaii | Registered: 03 March 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
[quote:6937fab162="Liquidlunch1812"]Yup its only a temporary fix it works for that day, I worked my butt off after that because i really didnt want to have to do it again.[/quote:6937fab162]

LOL :lol: I can only imagine the discomfort of trying to get to sleep with all that stuff on.

posted Hide Post
Just to chime in -

I've been in for 12+ years now, and as long as I've been in, I have ALWAYS been taped. I normally run about 20lbs over my max weight and always need to be taped.

As I get older, I have found out some things that really help out as It's getting harder to keep the weight off.

The two biggest things I have found that help with weight loss:

*Get a good nights sleep. You'll be able to do more during the day without being so tired.

*Drink lots of WATER. save the (a) beer for the night before a PT test or heavy PT session, for the carb load and the relaxation factor.

Also -

*Don't eat after 6 pm - you really slow down your activity at night, and there's no sense in putting useless calories in if you're not going to burn 'em.

*Eat well. Try to eat 3 squares a day. If you are like me (sounds like you are) cut back on portions and eat 4-5 smaller meals throughout the day. The idea here is to jump start your metabolism. You want your body buring calories 24/7. When you start to feel hungry, your body will start storing calories as fat to conserve.

*STOP eating fastfood! Buy food from the grocery store and start making your meals. You'll eat better and believe it or not, you burn more calories standing there to make it!

*Buy a dayplanner or a calendar book and schedule a workout with yourself. Stick with it. Don't work the same areas every day. Do cardio and arms one day, and back/abs the next. Also, Don't beat yorself up for missing a session, just admit the fact you missed, and get back on track.

*When you go to work or to the mall, park as far away as you can from the entrance. The walk will do you good.

*Lastly, if you hit a plateau, switch it up - get your body moving in some other way. Go skiing or snowshoeing, or ride a bike or put on a day pack and go for a walk.

Good luck on making it, and one final note on staying active - make the recruiter get out there with you when you work out! There is no excuse why he or she is not out there - it's one of their responsabilities to you and to themselves - to stay fit!

JAB

Posts: 18 | Registered: 21 October 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of toucansofsquelch
posted Hide Post
quote:
*Lastly, if you hit a plateau, switch it up

forgive me but I was terribly confused as to what a "plato" was till I read this. There are many great ideas here. I went to Master Fitness Trainer courses back in the eighties and, even then, the instructors favored a combination of diet, exercise, and supplements for weight loss OR gain. Try smaller portions 5 times a day. Concentrate on easily digested meats and include fish. Rinse tuna and remove fat from chicken, beef and pork. Fat is readily metablized and a great source of energy but will convert to fat if not used. This also applies to sugars, but I'm sure you knew that. Water is a super thing, too, but be careful not to overdo it. We've all heard the eight glasses a day thing but modern medicine discounts the necessity for that much. Drink when you're thirsty/ eat when you're hungry. Exercise every chance you get. I drop and do twenty to thirty sit-ups and push-ups every hour throughout the work day. Everyone thinks I'm loony but I feel great and it helps keep my metabolism up. Good luck!

Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and I'll give you something to friggin' cry about...

Posts: 150 | Location: FSH, TX | Registered: 20 October 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Epic Honor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airborne1092:
save the (a) beer for the night before a PT test or heavy PT session, for the carb load

Wow, that is the first time I have ever heard of that. The carb part makes a lot of sense, since you really don't have time to eat with enuf time in between morning PT...will have to try it...

Posts: 776 | Location: Fort Carson | Registered: 02 October 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post