ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Joining the Army, BCT and AIT  Hop To Forums  MEPS    Waiting for MEPS WAIVER
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Waiting for MEPS WAIVER
 Login/Join

posted
Ive been going through the process of enlisting in the army, and right now im in the process of waiting for a MEPS appointment and to take the ASVAB.

My brother enlisted in 2009 I remember the process being faster for him, even though he needed a medical waiver for his shoulder that he dislocated and had surgery on. My brother went to a recruiter in October couple weeks after went to MEPS in November and was Shipped in February 2010. My father joined back in the 80's and said it took him almost half a year because he had to wait for his job to open up.

I went in February 19 and turned all paperwork they needed. Criminal History reports DUI 2006 and Reckless Driving (Dropped from DUI) 2009. A DUI is a misdemeanor where I am from. They needed 3 references from college professors and employers, and I gave them 5 references. I just turned 25 and I am a college graduate with a Bachelors so I am planning on going in as a e-4.I do not have any medical problems and I am in shape physically. When I turned in all my paperwork 2-19-13 I have been waiting for the MEPS date to be given to me, and its almost been a month and havent been given a date. When talking to the recruiter he said hes still waiting to hear something.

If you get arrested for a DUI even if the charges are dropped, it looks like you have to wait 3 years from the day you complete everything (fines, driving school, etc) involving that DUI, just a heads up if you run into these questions in the future. This is different from 2007 when I got a DUI I had just completed my probation and they were trying to get me to sign. Back then they couldnt get enough people to join, but the economy has changed that today. I opted to finish college since I still had a scholarship available, but joining the army was something I had a goal to do, that is why I am in the process now.

I read a lot of posts about the hurry up and wait process of this, but want to get feedback from people going through this or have dealt with the process. And I can give some feedback on how its been for me so far while waiting for a MEPS day. Ive talked to recruiters many
times after I graduated highschool up until 2012 when I was told I had to wait until 2013 to start the paperwork process because of my DUI arrest. And that is where I am now. I am joining the military to serve like the rest of my family members, and at the same time hopefully starting graduate school for my masters degree with out having to take out loans. I have already started making plans for if I do not get accepted by applying for other jobs in the civilian world and applying for grad school. But still hoping everything works out for enlistment.

1. How long does it take to get a waiver so I can go to MEPS? It will be a month next week since I turned all the paperwork they asked me to provide.

2. I read that DUI waiver applicants will have a psych eval if anyone has info on this?

Posts: 3 | Registered: 13 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of MattU
posted Hide Post
I fought to get a medical (orthopaedic) waiver beginning in 2005. It took 15 months JUST to get MEPS to agree to an ortho consult. However, once I got the ortho consult done and signed-off by the contracted doctor and the MEPS CMO, I had my waiver within 24 hours. Now in 2007, the Army was desperate. Not so today, so requirements, workloads, and needs are very different today.

Your mileage may vary.

Good Luck!

Matt

CH-47D/F Mechanic
Technical Inspector

AR 670-1/Regulation Mafia

Posts: 394 | Location: Camp Humphreys, ROK | Registered: 25 June 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
15 months? by then ill almost be done with my Masters Degree, but I would still do reserves probably, Im looking to do active if available.

Picture of Infantry4life
posted Hide Post
Well, if I'm understanding your post correctly your just waiting on a moral waiver not a medical waiver.

If your waiting on a moral waiver MEPS has nothing to do with it, it is up to the Recruiting chain of command. Right now they are being pretty picky on people so waivers take a little longer. Even the medical waivers take longer, I've had a guys medical paperwork sitting up with MEPS for about a month and half now. There are still alot of people trying to get in the Army and there is a ton of waiver getting sent up.

Next time you talk to your recruiter tell him you wanna know where the waiver is sitting at.

You may have to get a psych consult, unfortunatly that will also make the process even longer. But its not a thing that happens all the time. Just depends what the MEPS doc thinks.

Trust me, I'm a Recruiter!

Posts: 169 | Location: USAREC Dearborn | Registered: 04 February 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
You are correct, I am waiting on a MORAL WAIVER. DUI (July 2006) and Reckless Driving dropped from DUI (August 2009). Both misdemeanors. Army views it as 2 DUI's regardless.

Sounds like this process could take almost a year. So I am just going to apply to grad school for Summer and stay motivated. Take some classes, work, and wait until my number is called. Hopefully it mentions in my packet I am a college graduate 2012. To show I have made progress since 2009.

Picture of Infantry4life
posted Hide Post
I would go ahead and get started in grad school. Worse case scenario is you start grad school and then your stuff goes through. All your Recruiter has to do is get an enrollment verification letter and MEPS will push your ship date out to the end of your sememester.

Good luck, don't count yourself out yet. Things change rapidly in the Army so what may take awhile now can happen instantly tomorrow.

Trust me, I'm a Recruiter!

Posts: 169 | Location: USAREC Dearborn | Registered: 04 February 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post