ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Joining the Army, BCT and AIT  Hop To Forums  MEPS    Lying at MEPS (possible arrest record)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lying at MEPS (possible arrest record)
 Login/Join

posted
Now, I'm sure this is a topic that has been discussed since the dawn of time. I've wanted to serve in the military(typically the national guard) ever since I started college. Here I am, a few months from graduation and I'm still determined to join. But there are some things I here about MEPS that make me nervous. I expect them to ask questions about my health, history of drug use if any, arrests, etc. Here's my dilemma. At the age of 17, I was arrested for possession of marijuana. The possession was minor(very little amount) but here's the thing, though I was cuffed and brought back to the station, I was never summonsed to appear in court. In fact, I was never finger printed nor was I photographed. I wasn't even issued a fine. I haven't touched marijuana since I was 17 and I'm 22 now. I've talked to many soldiers from different branches and most of them told me to lie. Even my recruiter told me to lie(specifically about the arrest and previous drug use.)I guess my real concern is "where will the truth get me at MEPS?" I've heard things like "MEPS is only out to fail you" or even "Tell the truth at MEPS and you will be disqualified. Lie and they find out, you will be disqualified." Hearing things like that scares me. We all were young once. Many of us have done stupid things but, aside from that arrest and few uses at that age, I don't see why I shouldn't make the cut. As far as drug testing goes, I haven't smoked in years so I'd test negative. I'm healthy with no preexisting medical conditions of any sort. To get to the bottom line. Will telling MEPS this incident severely hurt my chances of joining? I rather tell them the truth than lie and have them find out. It's just I keep hearing all these opinions from soldiers who are serving, to lie. If I had to survey it, 1 out of 10 soldiers I've spoken to has told me to lie about both the arrest and the use altogether as if it never happened. I would never want to give false information when joining the military, it's just hearing from others that the truth will only get me so far at MEPS is what concerns me. Opinions please?

Posts: 1 | Registered: 31 May 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TheWiseChief
posted Hide Post
Go to http://www.nationalguard.com/forums/forum.php and there are National Guard recruiters there to answer your question.

Posts: 1902 | Registered: 04 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Go Ordnance
posted Hide Post
DO NOT lie! Be as honest as possible!

"If you do not stand by me at my worst, you WILL NOT stand by me at my best."

Posts: 719 | Location: Fort Lee | Registered: 18 May 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TransAm95NCO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hopestobeasoldier:
Now, I'm sure this is a topic that has been discussed since the dawn of time. I've wanted to serve in the military(typically the national guard) ever since I started college. Here I am, a few months from graduation and I'm still determined to join. But there are some things I here about MEPS that make me nervous. I expect them to ask questions about my health, history of drug use if any, arrests, etc. Here's my dilemma. At the age of 17, I was arrested for possession of marijuana. The possession was minor(very little amount) but here's the thing, though I was cuffed and brought back to the station, I was never summonsed to appear in court. In fact, I was never finger printed nor was I photographed. I wasn't even issued a fine. I haven't touched marijuana since I was 17 and I'm 22 now. I've talked to many soldiers from different branches and most of them told me to lie. Even my recruiter told me to lie(specifically about the arrest and previous drug use.)I guess my real concern is "where will the truth get me at MEPS?" I've heard things like "MEPS is only out to fail you" or even "Tell the truth at MEPS and you will be disqualified. Lie and they find out, you will be disqualified." Hearing things like that scares me. We all were young once. Many of us have done stupid things but, aside from that arrest and few uses at that age, I don't see why I shouldn't make the cut. As far as drug testing goes, I haven't smoked in years so I'd test negative. I'm healthy with no preexisting medical conditions of any sort. To get to the bottom line. Will telling MEPS this incident severely hurt my chances of joining? I rather tell them the truth than lie and have them find out. It's just I keep hearing all these opinions from soldiers who are serving, to lie. If I had to survey it, 1 out of 10 soldiers I've spoken to has told me to lie about both the arrest and the use altogether as if it never happened. I would never want to give false information when joining the military, it's just hearing from others that the truth will only get me so far at MEPS is what concerns me. Opinions please?

Do the right thing and disclose it, if in fact you were not found guilty or anything then you have nothing to worry about because (not MEPS but the Recruiting Battalion and higher) will review your case, police records from the city county and state the charge happened, your sworn statement and self admittal and if it all fits you will be good to go.

Lead by Example!!!

Posts: 3914 | Location: Somewhere in the US | Registered: 13 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Article 83 of the uniform code of military justice:
quote:
Fraudulent enlistment,
appointment, or separation
a. Text of statute.
Any person who—
(1)procures his own enlistment or appointment in the armed forces by knowingly false representation or deliberate concealment as to his qualifications for that enlistment or appointment and receives pay or allowances thereunder ... shall be punished as a court-martial may direct.

Also see the Army Values. Lying is incompatible with our values.

This said, from what you tell us you were not convicted of a crime. There is no reason to answer questions they do not ask.

This is a ten level task

Posts: 2870 | Registered: 15 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post