ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Reenlistment Forum  Hop To Forums  Reclassing    25D CYBER NETWORK DEFENDER
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

25D CYBER NETWORK DEFENDER
 Login/Join

posted
I am a 25N30 tech level II 8570 compliant with a TS-SCI clearance. I would like to know more about this new MOS,and possibly reclass. I have talked with my branch manager who sent me to a site with porposed prereqs but no current info. I have spent a great deal of time researching this MOS and have since learned that the training is 14wks of SANS instruction. However, I would like more information about this MOS to include possible assignments. I would also like to know if this will be an MOS that will set me up for eventually becoming a 255S?

Thank You

Posts: 7 | Location: Vicenza, Italy | Registered: 25 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TheWiseChief
posted Hide Post
I have not heard of it as of yet; but it should set you on the path for 255S which still is not an ascension MOS. Only 255A and 255N. 255S is for Signal Warrants who want to move over to IA/CND after four or five years time.

http://www.signal.army.mil/Arm...011Vol36No3Sub03.pdf

Posts: 1902 | Registered: 04 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of AutobahnSHO
posted Hide Post
If you want to be a 255S, your goal should be MOS 255A or 255N. Minimum requirement for 255S is CW2(P) one of those two MOS..

25D sounds fun and well but might not help you get signal WO any more than your current MOS..

Be Proud of what you do- and do it Well! ~me

Posts: 5284 | Location: Ft Gordon (Again!!!) :-| | Registered: 22 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thank you both for the input. Do you know where I could find more information on 25D? I have already contacted branch,who didn't know much about the MOS, and sent me a dated link on AKO. Also, my retention NCO is not tracking this MOS. I would really like to get into this MOS and, along with the above input, would really appreciate any more info that might be out there.
One of my concerns with this MOS is getting stuck in a vault. This is always a possibility for any unfortunate signal soul, but is this going to be a main purpose for the MOS?

Thank you

Posts: 7 | Location: Vicenza, Italy | Registered: 25 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of AutobahnSHO
posted Hide Post
I don't believe so- I've been reading some of it on the discussions the 53 series Officers have going on.

It will be an 'active' MOS- there are already small groups of Soldiers (and especially AirMen!) who are engaging in some of this stuff. We're talking "No Such Agency"- so of course it doesn't get talked about much. Wink

It's likely an MOS where you would be in a specific Unit with others of the same MOS working the same missions.

Not really anything more I know, and some of the above ^^ is assumption. I know a guy who retired N SA last year and was involved in some cool stuffs which he could barely talk about at all. TS clearance etc...

Posts: 5284 | Location: Ft Gordon (Again!!!) :-| | Registered: 22 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Ok, I'm even more excited about this MOS now! From what I have learned from the above responses and prior research, this job is what I have been looking for. Hopefully, in the future I may be able to go directly to 255S. If not, then I still have an awesome and challenging job.
I guess now I just have to submit a 4187 or chat with my retention NCO again.

Thank you

posted Hide Post
Signal2881, I am looking into reclassing to this MOS could you please share anymore information on 25D? Requirements, how to apply, Etc. It is not on any of the army sites.

Posts: 3 | Registered: 03 November 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of AutobahnSHO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Signal2881:
Hopefully, in the future I may be able to go directly to 255S.

Very very unlikely. But who knows??

The "cyber field" (offense and defense) is different than running an operational network for the good guys to use..

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jesse G:
Signal2881, I am looking into reclassing to this MOS could you please share anymore information on 25D? Requirements, how to apply, Etc. It is not on any of the army sites.

The following URL is what my branch manager sent me;

http://www.signal.army.mil/signalsitemap.aspx

Go to the enlisted proponent office link and you will find the proposed prereqs.

Also if you look in ATRRS for 25D30 you will see the class info AND might notice that the prereqs are slightly different.

I also sent some documentation to the email address associated with your account, hope this helps.

posted Hide Post
My understanding is that the 25D MOS is only open to 25B SSG at this time.

Posts: 1 | Location: Fort Campbell, KY | Registered: 11 July 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of CYBER Trail Blazer
posted Hide Post
Greetings,

I am currently in the 1st 25D Course. Details of the training or mission is "Need To Know", and disclosure could compromise the Teams. I will tell you that it is currently only open to 25B3Os (potentially opening to ALL MOSs in 2014), and the training is like nothing I have ever experienced in my 15+ yrs; I was C|EH Certified coming into this. I train and operate alongside the 255Ss. The recruitment link and video are found here:

http://www.7sigcmd.army.mil/CPTWeb/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?...ture=player_embedded

Not everyone that applies gets in; the screening process is very thorough, and we want the best, both technical skills and personal character count here! I know I haven't said much, but I wish you luck, and maybe I'll see you on a Cyber Protection Team!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CYBER Trail Blazer,

Information Dominance!

Posts: 17 | Location: USA | Registered: 25 August 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
@CYBER Trail Blazer Thank you for the input.

Picture of CYBER Trail Blazer
posted Hide Post
To those seriously interested in becoming a 25D.

In the past 2 months I have completed a number of cyber boot camps, during which, I have come to realize that there are certain skills you should possess when coming into this field to make the transition a smooth one:

1st: you should have a decent amount of Linux skills and knowledge, and be able to navigate your way in a Linux distro, like oh, BT5. there are several books on the topic; if you prefer videos, I recommend "CompTIA Linux+ 2009 CBT Training" at http://www.careeracademy.com You don't have to purchase another computer just to use Linux, instead use the FREE VM Player https://my.vmware.com/web/vmwa...ng/vmware_player/6_0 and create a VM of BackTrack http://www.backtrack-linux.org/ to use on your Windows box (be very careful as BT5 has exploits already built into it). YouTube has many how-to guides.

2nd: you will need to have a decent knowledge of and know how to implement Python code http://www.python.org ; a good start is the FREE Python tutorial http://www.learnpython.org/ . There are also several books on the subject; www.amazon.com sells quite a few. YouTube has a lot of Python Tutorials as well.

I hope this helps everyone interested in becoming a 25D. Even if you are not interested, share this with your Soldiers, as they might be.

Good Luck!

Cyber Dominance!

Posts: 17 | Location: USA | Registered: 25 August 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TheWiseChief
posted Hide Post
I hit the Sierra course in a few months, so I look forward to working with 25Ds in the future.

Posts: 1902 | Registered: 04 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
@Cyber Trail Blazer

Thanks for the insight into the course. It's good to know that what you are currently going through, or have finished by now, is what I am already training my Reserve Soldiers on. I was an instructor for the Air Force's Network Warfare Bridge Course and Intermediate Network Warfare Training. This solidifies the past years worth of training I have been providing.

I have contacted the proponent career manager and the SGM in charge of the 25D course for further information. Again, thanks for the insight.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 07 November 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post