ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Reenlistment Forum  Hop To Forums  Reclassing    68V a really good move!
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 17
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

68V a really good move!
 Login/Join

posted
When I first started looking for information about the 6bV program, I was amazed about the dated info that left many Sailors and Soldiers completely in the dark. So I did what others were just talking about, and started it....on my free time to help our organization. Currently my wife and I are down in Ft Sam Houston, TX. the longer I am here the more we like the area. The 68V MOS itself is rather difficult since everything is high octane. Once the green and blue (Navy) suitors come in to teach it gets even harder. It has put people out of the MOS or perhaps the Army that do not pull their weight. However, it is a great program that pays well on the outside (always making civilian lists of top 25 jobs that pay over 25.00 an hour) and reasonable standard of living while Active Duty. If there are some soldiers that are looking to reclass, I don't think a troop could be happier besides special forces medic, but then we are talking apples and oranges. It is still a shortage MOS so anyone that has questions about 68V, I can do my best to get pertinent info to them. Let me know! Because at this time it is a rather inside guide for Students, Teachers, and Career Counselors to get smart on this uniquely evolving specialty.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Corvette1140,

Posts: 2619 | Registered: 08 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Isn't 68V only understrength for E5? I just looked at the MILPER message from www.armyreenlistment.com and in the E4 column it says NA. What does it me to have a NA, are there no Spc's in that MOS, I know I sound dumb but I am getting ready to re-enlist for my first time and I have to reclass because my MOS is overstrength (92Y) so I am looking at 68K but then I read your post about 68V. Checked the MILPER message and that's what it said. I don't understand.

Thanks!

Posts: 1 | Registered: 11 February 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
We have E-4 Active and Reserve soldiers in my class, and E-4 that are reservists in the class beneath me, no Active Duty. I don't know if this is just by chance or by change to policy. That is a question best answered by your BADGE WEARING Career Counselor.

posted Hide Post
I'm an active E-4 and just reenlisted for 68V. I spent a lot of time looking into MOS options and this looked like the best one. I don't report to Sam Houston until January of next year.

Posts: 8 | Location: Ft Drum, NY | Registered: 13 February 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Get an Egan's Fundamentals of Respiratory Care 9th edition when you can. It isn't cheap. But once you get here it will be like drinking knowledge from a fire hose. So if you can get any head start it would highly benefit you. Unlike every other Army school I have been to, there is no pushing people through here. I study on average about an hour a day and 2 hours on weekend days. We have lost 2 soldiers thus far and one is on the razors edge. If he fails one more test he is done. Normal class size is around 20 and normal washout is about 2-3. In the meantime the wisdom I could let you in on would be to do anything medical related in the meantime, such as Combat Lifesaver. I came to this class from Recruiting so it was going from the worst assignment to just a difficult all though rewarding assignment. The troops having the roughest times have came from some relaxed MOSes and now they HAVE to study and buckle down if they are to pass the Registry. You will receive a full Associates Degree through Thomas Edison State College with full absolute credentials to the civilian world. So you can have the ability to work weekends in the civilian sector starting at 25 an hour and time and a half after 40 hours.

Also with all the cuts to the military: Changes in RCP, 49K gone by 2015 it is good to know I will always have something in my back pocket that I could comfortably live off of. You made a really great decision.

Also try to get your E-5 before you come here as there will be no boards for the roughly one year that you will be here.

So what MOS are you coming from?

Picture of grace101
posted Hide Post
Hey corvette, i ihave a question, I am currently a 42A SGT and I am really looking into this MOS as it is either time to reclass or reup, but my real question is since the school is so long is it considered a PCS move? the reason I am asking is because I am dual military and my husband outranks me so would he be able to PCS with me? We are currently at Fort Hood. Not sure if you can asnwer this but I just want to know so that I can let him know. But other then that where is the OJT done for a 68V. I currently don't have any college Math so would it be easier for me to get those pre-requisites out the way in order to qualify for the degree? Thanks!

Posts: 28 | Registered: 17 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Corvette,
Thanks for that finely detailed description. I report in Jan of 2012, can you tell me is there anything that will be implemented for that cycle? How is it on regular basis? I read that PT is only on Monday, Wenesday, and Friday. What is the rest of the week like? How much does it differ from other medical MOS's that are at?

Stay Humble Stay Hungry

Posts: 19 | Registered: 15 March 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Sorry for not getting back to you guys sooner. The class is a PCS move (as with any MOS with training longer than 20 weeks). The hands on/didactic phase is done at Brooke Army Medical Center, which while it technically isn't on Ft. Sam Houston, it is less than a mile away.

I would strongly encourage on post housing, the traffic is pretty bad (it says a lot since my last assignment was NYC).

Once AGAIN I STRONGLY ENCOURAGE on post housing. The commute is really starting to get to me after the typical 12-13 hour day, plus you HAVE to study for this school.
With my class it was moved to advanced, so while it was possible to pass in the past without studying, this is no longer a reality.
A good habit is to review an hour a night.
So now I think you guys have better clarity on the ON POST housing. 12 hour day minimum, add an hour commute home with traffic in the evening, add an hour studying, and about a half hour commute in the morning. So realistically it is about 14.5 to 16 hour day if you aren't close to post. It would behoove you.

posted Hide Post
Oh CLEP for what you can, if you are missing some of the classes you are supposed to have otherwise you'll be doing it here, and loosing a 4 day break in the process to try and get what most of the class all ready has.

posted Hide Post
Corvette,
I did a voluntary reclass and the reclass came back with TDY enroute (not evening showing on the on orders list yet, that's Drum for you), my class starts January 2012, will it change or was it a straight PCS move for you from the beginning? How often do you do PT? I would like to go for the EFMB is that something you are able to do say at the end of your school before you head out to where ever you maybe going?

Stay Humble Stay Hungry

posted Hide Post
Those are odd orders since all the soldiers other than Reservists are PCSed here, with their families if they have them. MOSes with over 20 week AIT's should be PCS moves. I can't give guidance on EFMP since I don't know of any Soldiers I have ever served that have used it in my current school, or even last MOS. PT is M,W,F with study halls on Tu, and Th. It is the new PT program. If you can, buy Eagan's Fundamentals of Respiratory Therapy, latest volume. Believe it or not you will cover the whole book in well under a year, and it will be your bible.

posted Hide Post
Exactly how long is the school because im thinking about it myself. looking into it now to make sure thats something that i want to do.

Posts: 1 | Location: FORT HOOD, TX | Registered: 01 April 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Very recently about 50 weeks total.

posted Hide Post
Corvette,
Did they extend your orders or was it that long from the beginning? Since the course is longer has the intensity slowed some or did they add more to it? Lastly do you take the national exam before graudation and do you have to send off for your dergree from TESC or do they present it to you upon graduation?

Stay Humble Stay Hungry

posted Hide Post
I have only graduated Phase I thus far, so our class is still the test run for the degree producing program.

Fortunately, my Career Counselor was on point from the beginning and was up to speed on the recent class length extension (especially in 2009 when I re-upped so he was REALLY on top of his $HIT). Some Soldiers here were not and had to extend or actually re-enlist to meet a MANDATORY 36 month SRR (service remaining requirement) AFTER course completion.

The course is difficult, its possible to pass a couple of tests without studying, but most exams will need you to devote many hours if you expect to do well. All exams other than TESC ones will need you to pay close attention in class because some exam questions are touched on very briefly, and if you aren't paying attention, then that will be one you'll get wrong. The exams for actual subject matter (not TESC) are so difficult that no one has scored a perfect score. We had a quiz that one did, but actual exams, be prepared to work your a$$ off for 80's. It is possible to half-a$$ study and get a passing score (I did it a couple of times), but once it was uncomfortable close so I stopped that habit quickly. 70 and above is passing, if you fail 2X for the same exam...any exam, even ones very close to the end, they actually put you out. It is a good thing, but I really haven't seen it elsewhere in the conventional Army, and didn't believe it till people actually started getting the boot.

I don't know if the intensity has slowed, because I do not have a gauge to compare previous classes with. Ensure the family (especially wife) understands the long hours and difficulty and you should be fine provided you have good study habits. At first (AFTER Thomas Edison State College Classes) until you get the swing of things you will probably end up neglecting many areas of your life because you want to pass, ensure loved ones understand this.

At Phase II class completion you will take what is called the CRT, and contrary to some mis-informed people (even some instructors) you will be eligible to immediately take the RRT. The class (during my time here) changed to an Advanced Level so there is no longer a two year wait before you can take the RRT.

If TESC is as high speed (I say that sarcastically) as they have been from go, we will most likely receive our Associates in the mail shortly after Phase II completion. So it may be something to ensure is sent to a parent's house to ensure it doesn't get sent to a dated address during a PCS move. (not 100% on the last one but will to bet 20 bucks on it).

I really wish the TESC could be scheduled after all the difficult courses, because it isn't difficult at all (typical college 101 courses) and it sets some students up for failure in the belief that the rest of the course will be this way.

Any other questions just let me know so I can keep the forum posted.