ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Reenlistment Forum  Hop To Forums  Reclassing    68V a really good move!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 ... 17
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

68V a really good move!
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Are Chemistry and Algebra still prerequisites? I have recent college Chemistry, but the only Algebra I have is from high school (back in 1991!)

Thanks!

Posts: 18 | Registered: 22 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
They can be from High School as long as you have a C or better. Your High School should still have these. Your Career Counselor may request official copies of these so your HS may have to send them directly to them.

I read somewhere from some really bad website with almost always consistently bad, DATED info (I think it was www.about.com) that it needs to be within the last 5 years....not true. You do need it though.

Posts: 2621 | Registered: 08 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the quick response, Corvette.

So, to summarize what I understand the prerequisites to be:

- Algebra (1 year HS or 1 semester college)
- Chemistry (1 year HS or 1 semester college, no lab required)
- English 1 (1 semester college)
- Any Humanities class (1 semester college)

* Minimum grade of C for all classes
** CLEP is acceptable
*** Official transcripts must be sent to TESC prior to reporting

Additionally, the first 8 weeks of class include the general ed requirements English 2, Social Studies, and College Math, but if you have all those college credits you actually report to class 8 weeks later than the start date (that info is from ATRRS).

Also, there's a recommended 8-subject online prep course at http://www.cs.amedd.army.mil/ddl/SATP91V.asp and a handful of recommended AMEDD Correspondence Courses available through ALMS... plus future students should pick up a copy of Egan's Fundamentals of Respiratory Care.

Whew... Did I forget anything? It may seem like a lot, but it's such a great opportunity for enlisted soldiers. My class starts in September. I reenlisted for it back in January 2010, and it seemed like a lifetime away. It's finally getting close and I'm getting excited!

Thanks again!

posted Hide Post
The first 8 weeks are English, PSYCHOLOGY, and College Math, and even if you ALREADY have them I still had to go, they were very simple, but they took up your time. However, Navy was able to start 8 weeks later since they needed these classes already.

You can do the prep courses before hand, I do not think anyone in my class did them. It will still be very difficult and even with focused studying its probable that you'll get 80's. With the Egan's Fundamentals of Respiratory Care make sure it is at least the 9th, or tenth edition. Also, if married ensure your housing is either on post or VERY near it, a long commute through evening traffic gets old lightning fast. If you listen to those gems and have the simple Soldier stuff (right time,place,uniform, pass PT) then you'll be set up for success. Recently make sure that you have 36 months SRR (service Remaining Requirement) after course completion, for some reason about half the class did not.

posted Hide Post
Cool. Thanks for all the great info. The SRR is about the only thing my Career Counselor was on point with. He didn't mention prereq's or verify any transcripts or anything, but he did make sure I signed for six more years.

posted Hide Post
Corvette,

As far as in-processing goes, do you remember the steps and paperwork needed? ERB, NCOER, orders, leave form? Check into D co.? and ON POST housing is allowed for PCS students if it's not full? So I should definitely check with on post housing and see if that's okay. I appreciate all the good info. in this thread. Thanks alot.
v/r

v/r

Posts: 2 | Registered: 19 November 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
You will need all of the typical in-processing paperwork, but I really can not recall turning in a NCOER, possibly due to it technically being Initial training? D Co., behind the old (BAMC) hospital is where you check in. On post housing is allowed for students if you are obviously married, and once more I strongly encourage it. It can be full from time to time. I didn't take advantage of it, and now have about a hour commute home every night, even though it only takes about 15 minutes to be at work by 0525.

Today we are actually starting on the hands on portion in Phase II. While there are great instructors/staff in both Phase I and II, I wish I had a post like this during Phase I because there were a lot of questions that other students and myself couldn't get any answers to in Phase I. It just seemed as though the flow of info could have been better between Phase I and II.

You get to go into work later at Phase II, but you stay much longer. The atmosphere is much more conductive to learning at Phase II I feel. It may just have been that way because we were the 1st class with the Associates program, so along with that comes more of a "dog and pony show". Even the class slightly behind us are out hours before we were, and they appear to have more freedom. So your class may have less restrictions. It sounds as though you are already an NCO, and one of the issues I had (and you may as well) are that some IETers really think when you give them bad news (we have to stay till 1800-for example),that you are the one that dreamed up the bull$hit, when really you are just relaying info and attempting to make sure it is enforced. All in all I would still do it over, so I sincerely feel it can be the right move for many self-driven Soldiers.

posted Hide Post
Corvette,

Awesome advise, and I really appreciate it. I don't know if you play golf or not, but if you want to hit the links one weekend for a break, let me know. My wife and I just made it down here, and I will report 02MAY11 for Phase 1 of the 68V class. Thanks again for all of your help. agoedereis@gmail.com if you do get a free minute and want to meet up. It's easy to say for me because I'm on leave right now, and probably need to be studying more myself. But I thought I'd see. Thanks again for your responses.

v/r

Posts: 2 | Registered: 19 November 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Corvette,
How is Phase II coming along? Did you get a break in between Phases? Do you plan on taking the RRT after school? Also do you know where you are going after School? My school date is in January when should I ask for a specific duty station? How is BAMC?

Stay Humble Stay Hungry

Posts: 19 | Registered: 15 March 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the invite man, my in-laws are coming down this week and I love em' and all but I really wish that they could wait till later. Its not that time is that "crunched" at the moment, but like I said the hours are long and the damn commute is getting old. Any time off I just want to couch potato.

If your wife is a worker by nature, and she has came from a full time position and worked full time for more than a year, ensure she draws unemployment ****MISSION CRITICAL**** it WILL help with finances till she is back on her feet financially. This way she can take her time selecting her next position, instead of grabbing the first position at Taco Bell Express that opens part time to get a paycheck. Attach a copy of your PCS orders with submission of unemployment, and in some cases even less than a full year may qualify if PCS related. Stay up on PT, I had about 54 days leave between duty stations, and was still OK (some troops though...not saying you, just need 2 weeks to leap out of standard).

Phase II breakdown is small groups of 4-5 that go through Hospital Wards (Wards), Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU), Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU), Institute of Surgical Research (ISU) aka burn center, Medical ICU (MICU), and Surgical ICU (SICU). I believe it is about 16 weeks in Phase II. PT here is conducted 3 days a week at the gym. Its been good so far, as long as someone doesn't ruin it for everyone else. The thing about it is that even profile Soldiers are working out more effectively than I have seen them before. It makes me wish the Army could do this regularly, and the ones that don't comply, get fried.

There was no break in Phases as previous classes have encountered. You'll get graduation afternoon off. You can count on Xmas exodus for 2 weeks leave starting around the 20th Dec. I stayed since you had a morning accountability formation and that was it. Still had holiday 4 days. So if you could swing it, its really like free leave. I am going to try to take as much leave from here to the next duty station as possible so SAVE YOUR LEAVE. There is a strong chance with the schools historic washout rate, that branch will not cut the Soldiers PCS orders until the last 3 weeks or less. Sometimes even much less. They have to make sure you pass, so that is their method to the madness. So you can see how especially if you are reporting to an OCONUS location having ample leave becomes exponentially more important. Especially if you are hit with Korea hardship tour for example. You can ensure that your Assignment Satisfaction Key is current, and that would be your best bet. Phase II has had a lot of issues with this (last minute PCS orders), they have briefed us that we are not to call the branch manager as he has been spiteful in the past, and nagging Soldiers have been put on undesirable assignments due to nagging. I did call him well before school even started, and he seemed like an OK guy to me, but I wasn't hounding about assignments either.

BAMC is really state of the art, and I feel it is the best Army MTF I have seen. There are a few bad apples, but overall, you'll be impressed.

I plan on taking the RRT after the course, I will try and see if my unit after V school can pay for the RRT since I understand it to be more than a few hundred dollars.

If you know of any creative ways to have civilian certifications paid for, I am all ears.

For other Soldiers waiting a year or more like I did after re-enlistment before school start, you can still attend ALC for your loosing MOS, and I would encourage this just in case you wash out. That, and part I ALC is Common Core that is non MOS specific so you will need it eventually anyways.

Halo_83 please let the forum know if post housing is full or not since I am sure some of your soon to be comrades in this MOS will look to our posts for inside info. Welcome to Ft. SamHouston.

posted Hide Post
Hey Corvette I was looking to rent a house off post (I appreciate the advice with on post housing but the pet policies are far to strict) Can you point me to decent neighborhoods close to post or any good rental sites?

Stay Humble Stay Hungry

posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, what I saw that was close by and even looked nice, had section 8 programs too near by for my taste. It may be in your best interest to use a (or a few) real estate agent(S) to find an ideal smaller rental home if not living on post. Because there are nice homes near by, but nice apartments, I have only seen one area that meets my families standards (that are close). Legacy Heights on 1320 Austin Highway does this, but it basically takes all your BAH, has $500 per pet deposit, and you will still have to pay utilities. However, close by, VERY nice, no dirtbags live near by it so your cars stereo should be a little safer. That would be the ONLY place my wife and I would live that is close other than rental homes. You'll see what I am talking about since many of the apartment complexes close to Ft. Sam look nice outside, and then you see little kids riding around that look like their parents haven't given them a bath in weeks (seriously, worse than many Iraqi kids I have seen)and then the sun goes down and neighbors music goes wayyyy up, and you have to worry about if your family is safe from not just crime, but San Antonio is a fairly big city, but actual hard crimes like flat out homicide. Get on post, Legacy Heights, or a nice smaller home rental and you and your family will not regret it, and you will be able to concentrate on the important things.

If my wife and I end up staying at Ft. Sam once final orders are cut, that is what we will do, since we are out by Randolph AFB, and while it is very nice, I spend $300-$400 on gas a month on the ONLY 12 mile commute that stays traffic jammed and robs an hour and a half almost every day of my life. The good news wherever you decide on when you 1st get here if you want to move at the end of the complete Phase II course graduation, and orders keep you in Ft. Sam as a duty assignment the Army will move you at their expense and labor.

posted Hide Post
Out of curiosity what is pet policy on post?

posted Hide Post
No dobermans, rottweilers, pitbulls, or even min dobermans.

Stay Humble Stay Hungry

posted Hide Post
The trouble is that most of your nicer apartments will request the same, so it may be that a smaller rental home will be your best option. I have always had a larger dog before the Army, but when my wife and I finally chose to rescue a dog in the Army we made sure he was under 25 lbs. so with regular PCS moves it wouldn't pose as much of a problem.