ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Reenlistment Forum  Hop To Forums  Reclassing    Extending vs. reenlisting
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Extending vs. reenlisting
 Login/Join

posted
ArmyReenlistment,
I just found out that I will be going back to ait for a reclass I turned in a year ago. I want your advice on reenlisting vs. extending. When I turned in the packet, I had three years left on my contract. I now only have two. Because the ait (linguist school) will be so long, my career counselors want me to extend/reenlist. I am on my initial term. I have never recieved a bonus, but would like to. I was told I can't get one until I graduate the new mos. If I reenlist to meet the school requirements, will that hinder me from getting a bonus down the road? What about extending?
Thanks for your help

Posts: 9 | Registered: 29 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Career Counselor
Picture of ArmyReenlistment
posted Hide Post
First, I'm glad you received the schooling you wanted.

Just to clarify, your Career Counselor does not want you to extend/reenlist. Army Regulations require you to have enough time on your contract to meet a certain service remaining requirement (SRR). The Army gives you something and expects something in return.

If you are within 24-months from you ETS, you cannot extend. There are only a handful of reasons a Soldier can extend while in their reenlistment window (BEAR, promotion to SSG, etc...)

Regarding your bonus ... reenlistments don't effect bonuses, your time in service does. As long as you are under 6 years active service when you graduate your AIT, you can reenlist for an "A" Zone Bonus if one is available for your new MOS. If you're over 6 years (but under 10 years) you can reenlist for a "B" Zone bonus if one is available for your new MOS.

I hope this answers your questions; if not, let me know.

It's YOUR career! Take control of it before someone else does.
http://www.ArmyReenlistment.com
http://www.facebook.com/ArmyReenlistment

Posts: 6763 | Location: Joint Base Myer-Henderson Hall | Registered: 31 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Jive78
posted Hide Post
Question, I want to become a 97E, I'm in my reenlistment window but my CC wants me to extend. The reason I want to reenlist is because my unit leaves in June and i want it in contract that the schooling is a guarantee. If I extend, I leave with my unit and come back with less time I extended for, will the school still be a guarantee? What should I do? A lil advise?

Never too late to learn!

Posts: 29 | Location: Home | Registered: 18 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of ORTIZJJ2
posted Hide Post
Why does your CC want you to extend? Is it so you can extend for MOS 97E through the BEAR Program?

The reason I ask is because there are not many reasons for a Soldier to extend while within 24 months of ETS. If it is for the BEAR program, Are you in an overstrength or Balanced MOS? Are you a SGT(P) or SSG? Do you Qualify for the MOS 97E?

Posts: 98 | Location: Germany | Registered: 28 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Career Counselor
Picture of ArmyReenlistment
posted Hide Post
Does your Career Counselor ant you to extend under the BEAR Program?

If this is the case, the extension is a contract and you'll receive a HUGE bonus when you complete your AIT and reenlist.

It's YOUR career! Take control of it before someone else does.
http://www.ArmyReenlistment.com
http://www.facebook.com/ArmyReenlistment

Posts: 6763 | Location: Joint Base Myer-Henderson Hall | Registered: 31 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Jive78
posted Hide Post
I'm a SSG and yes I do qualify.
Thanks for the Help! That was my biggest fear, extending not being a contract.

Never too late to learn!

Posts: 29 | Location: Home | Registered: 18 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post