ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Reenlistment Forum  Hop To Forums  Reclassing    51C Information
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 103
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

51C Information
 Login/Join

Picture of 51C
posted
If there is anyone who is interested in this wildy under-advertised MOS, please feel free to ask any questions and I will answer to the best of my ability. Here are the brief requirements:

Prerequisites for MOS 51C:

(1) For (Active Component) SGTs (who meet the minimum requirement for promotion to SSG), SGT (P) through SFC with less than 10 years of Active Federal Service in any Career Management Field at time of submission for reclassification.

(2) For (Reserve Component) SSG - SFC with less than 10 years of Active Federal Service in any Career Management Field at time of submission for reclassification.

(3) Recommendation letter signed by a battalion commander O5 and higher.

(4) Successful completion of a Leadership Tour (NCOER).

(5) Copy of college transcripts or a diploma from an accredited institution.

(6) Copies of training certification related to contract training if applicable.

(7) Letter that verifys a Secret or Interim Secret clearance.

(8) No derogatory information in OMPF.

(9) Exhibit stability in personal affairs IAW 600-20.

(10) Meet height and weight standard IAW 600-9.

I've had a few people ask me questions privately, but I'm a firm believer in sharing information publicly.

Posts: 467 | Location: CONUS | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
What is a 51C?

Posts: 416 | Location: FT Monroe, VA | Registered: 17 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Acquisitions. I believe that it used to be an ASI in the 92 series, maybe you can chime in on that one 51C. Where can 51C soldiers get stationed? Are the 51C's the soldiers that can authorize 10 mil on a signature? From the outside looking in thats what is seems like, can't confirm the accuracy though.

Posts: 2605 | Registered: 08 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of 51C
posted Hide Post
51C technically is an Acquistions, Logistics, and Technology NCO.

The stationing system is modeled slightly off of the SF model where there are individual teams as opposed to a traditional unit. The CCT (Contigency Contracting Team) consists of a MAJ, CPT, SFC, and SSG while a SCCT (Senior team) consists of a LTC, MAJ, MSG, SFC. There is a CCT associated with just about every installation Army-wide and usually at least a SCCT with every division.

While we provide support to units, we actually are actually a part of AMC (Army Material Command) under ACC (Army Contracting Command) and further under ECC (Expeditionay Contracting Command) commanded by BG Camille Nichols and CSM John Murray.

As Corvette1140 stated, the MOS used to be filled by Supply individuals who would typically do the job for 2-3 years, then cycle back into the regular, however due to regulatory guidance, and ever-changing acquisition laws, this was not working. The MOS was formed to train individuals, and keep them in the job.

Usually in a garrison enviroment we work out of a DOC (Directorate of Contracting) providing base support for commericial items and services to the organizations on that installation for any item that is outside of the supply chain. This is not a job for individuals who can not work for, possibly get rated by, or possibly supervise civilians in the same field.

While deployed either to theatre or a contigency operation, we perform the same functions. Pretty much if you were in Iraq/Afghan and needed something that was outside the DOD supply chain, either a 51C NCO or a 51C officer did the market research, competed to obtain best value, and procured the item.

On a contingency basis (think Hurricane Katrina disaster relief) we are the first people in and provide all life support function (i.e contract water, shelter, food, transportation). Once it is established, we move to a sustainment phase and eventually work on getting people out.

Upon certification, yes Soldiers are warranted Contracting Officers of the United States and can sign contracts up to their warrant obligating government funds.

The MOS does REQUIRE a bachelors degree within three years of ascession into the MOS. It is also the only MOS I believe with a degree completion program for both the bachelor and master degree levels, this is usually reserved for officers.

Projected end-strength for NCOs is I believe around 350 active Army-wide. Training for the MOS is either conducted at Lackland AFB (small chance) or at the ALMC campus at the University of Alabama-Huntsville. It is a graduate level course and is definetly not your typical military course. It is attended by senior CPT/junior MAJ who swap over to the Acquisition cmf and also by DA civilians. It is considered BNCOC equivalent. The intermediate course is conducted in Huntsville also and is ANCOC equivalent.

Posts: 467 | Location: CONUS | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Sounds like it has about the same washout rate as Career Counselors. It's a really awesome MOS with excellent opportunity for advancement. 51C what was your feeder MOS into 51C? Did you find that people that weren't associated with 92 series before had an unusually hard time at the school?

Posts: 2605 | Registered: 08 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of 51C
posted Hide Post
I was a 63T/M for the first seven years (Bradley mechanic) and a 88M for the following two years before I swapped over. While I admit the job isn't for everyone, if you don't a) mind dealing with a lot of people outside the Army, b) can deal with numbers and the responsibility that comes with dealing huge amounts of money , then most people will be able to adapt into the job.

It is NOT a job though where someone can come in and expect to sham or have someone else pick up the slack.

Career Counselor
Picture of ArmyReenlistment
posted Hide Post
Alot of good information, 51C! Thanks for sharing the knowledge about the Army newest MOS.

It's YOUR career! Take control of it before someone else does.
http://www.ArmyReenlistment.com
http://www.facebook.com/ArmyReenlistment

Posts: 6763 | Location: Joint Base Myer-Henderson Hall | Registered: 31 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of 51C
posted Hide Post
Well, it was your website that I originally saw it on, and 4 days later my packet was accepted at HRC. Hands-down best military decision I've ever made.

Career Counselor
posted Hide Post
I'm glad to see my website and the system really works. Wink

Thanks for paying it forward and being the recruiting tool for your new MOS.

Posts: 6763 | Location: Joint Base Myer-Henderson Hall | Registered: 31 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of 51C
posted Hide Post
Interesting MILPER, shows how much they are trying to recruit people..
---
MILPER MESSAGE NUMBER : 09-113
AHRC-EPF-R
SPECIAL MOS ALIGNMENT PROMOTION PROGRAM (SMAPP)

2. THE SPECIAL MOS ALIGNMENT PROMOTION PROGRAM (SMAPP) IDENTIFIES SPECIFIC CRITICAL SKILL MOS SOLDIERS MAY RECLASSIFY INTO TO SATISFY ARMY READINESS REQUIREMENTS. SOLDIERS WHO VOLUNTEER FOR RECLASSIFICATION INTO ONE OF THE PROGRAM’S DESIGNATED MOS WILL BE PROMOTED EFFECTIVE THE FIRST DAY OF THE MONTH FOLLOWING COURSE GRADUATION AND AWARD OF THE NEW MOS. THIS MESSAGE WILL BE CITED AS THE AUTHORITY FOR PROMOTION IN THE PROMOTION ORDER.

3. ALL SOLDIERS SUBMITTING AN APPLICATION FOR ENTRY INTO THE SMAPP:

A. DO NOT HAVE TO BE PROMOTABLE, BUT THEY MUST MEET QUALIFICATIONS FOR PROMOTION TO THE NEXT HIGHER RANK INCLUDING NCOES TRAINING AND MINIMUM TIME IN SERVICE AND TIME IN GRADE REQUIREMENTS.

B. FOR PROMOTION TO STAFF SERGEANT: MOS 51C, ACQUISITION, LOGISTICS, AND TECHNOLOGY CONTRACTING NCO:

(1) MUST BE A SERGEANT; UPON GRADUATION AND AWARD OF THE MOS, SOLDIERS WILL BE PROMOTED TO STAFF SERGEANT.

(2) THE 51C COURSE IS APPROVED AS THE BNCOC EQUIVALENT FOR THE MOS. SOLDIERS REQUIRING BNCOC CREDIT WHEN SELECTED FOR RECLASSIFICATION ARE REQUIRED TO ATTEND THE TRADOC COMMON CORE TRAINING PRIOR TO ATTENDING 51C RECLASSIFICATION TRAINING.

(3) INFORMATION AND APPLICATION PROCEDURES FOR RECLASSIFICATION INTO MOS 51C CAN BE FOUND AT HTTP://ASC.ARMY.MIL/CAREER/APPLICATIONS.CFM. UPON APPROVAL, SOLDIERS MUST PROVIDE THE APPROVAL MEMORANDUM TO THEIR SERVICING CAREER COUNSELOR TO OBTAIN A RECLASSIFICATION CONTROL NUMBER (RCN). RECLASSIFICATION IS NOT COMPLETE UNTIL THE RCN IS ISSUED BY HRC-ALEXANDRIA.

(4) SOLDIERS INCUR A 60 MONTH SRR UPON GRADUATION AND AWARD OF THE MOS. UPON APPROVAL OF REQUEST FOR RECLASSIFICATION, SOLDIERS MUST TAKE APPROPRIATE ACTION (REENLIST OR EXTEND) PRIOR TO DEPARTURE FOR TRAINING.

5. SOLDIERS WHO FAIL TO COMPLETE TRAINING AS SCHEDULED OR BECOME DISQUALIFIED FOR AWARD OF THE NEW MOS OR PROMOTION AFTER ACCEPTANCE INTO THE SMAPP, WILL NOT BE ELIGIBLE FOR PROMOTION UNDER THE PROVISIONS OF THIS PROGRAM.

posted Hide Post
Hey, thanks for the information. I'm looking into this.

Questions:
Time between deployments, how many deployments you guys got? 1 yr every 2 yrs or so?

Time for school: Is college encouraged during the duty day etc to get the degree completed? Is there a requirement to what degree I want to complete?

If a person is accepted into the MOS and reclassified, are they still able to put in a packet for say Green to Gold or the AMEDD Nurse Program later on?

Thanks SFC.

Posts: 72 | Registered: 07 February 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I am very much interested in this. I re enlisted a few months ago. Looking back I wish I would have re classed to this. I think I would have been perfect for this job. Its very similar to what i did in the Marines. And some what similar to what I do in the Army. My question is do I have to wait until I am eligible to re-up again in order to re class to this ? I imagine so but just wanted to be sure. I was going to stop by the Material command and ask a few questions since I am here on Belvoir. But that wont be necessary since you are posting all of the info.

Posts: 617 | Registered: 25 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of 51C
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DevilDog 2Soldier:
I am very much interested in this. I re enlisted a few months ago. Looking back I wish I would have re classed to this. I think I would have been perfect for this job. Its very similar to what i did in the Marines. And some what similar to what I do in the Army. My question is do I have to wait until I am eligible to re-up again in order to re class to this ? I imagine so but just wanted to be sure. I was going to stop by the Material command and ask a few questions since I am here on Belvoir. But that wont be necessary since you are posting all of the info.

This action is considered a voluntary re-classification and does not require a re-enlistment to obtain. The only re-enlistment actions involved are a) has to go through you local Career counselor to get counseled on the applicable portions b) have to have at least 60 months remaining after award of the MOS.

Picture of 51C
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pyroandbozzt:
Hey, thanks for the information. I'm looking into this.

Questions:
Time between deployments, how many deployments you guys got? 1 yr every 2 yrs or so?

Typically the plan is upon reclassification and assignment to your first unit, they try to stabilize you for at least one year with no major deployment (i.e Iraq/Afghan). This isn't to say that you won't go TDY to a short term assignment like NTC, etc. Assignments to Iraq/Afghan are 1 year.

quote:
Time for school: Is college encouraged during the duty day etc to get the degree completed? Is there a requirement to what degree I want to complete?

Both of two BNs I have been in give ample time during the day to do school work. For example, during the last semester I completed three classes and I did the majority of the work during the day.

quote:

If a person is accepted into the MOS and reclassified, are they still able to put in a packet for say Green to Gold or the AMEDD Nurse Program later on?

There is a 60 month SRR for the program. I am not familiar with anyone trying to get out of it.

Thanks SFC.[/QUOTE]

Career Counselor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pyroandbozzt:

Are you asking if you can do college instead of the job you're getting paif for? Confused