ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Reenlistment Forum  Hop To Forums  Reclassing    51C Information
Page 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 103
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

51C Information
 Login/Join

Picture of 51C
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slim26:
Hey everyone... I'm about tosend my packet up.. I read earlier in the thread that it is sent via e-mail?? Not sure though. Could someone verify how to submit the packet? Thanks...

Check the proponent website for up to date instructions on how to submit your packet.

Posts: 467 | Location: CONUS | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Hello! I just came across this forum and read through everyones posts. Well I just wanted to share my experience.... After hearing about the MOS and actually talking to a SFC 51C I decided to go forward and I put my packet together. The SFC told me that I needed to get interviewed from their SGM 51C prior to submitting my packet because the proponent has been doing more paper work switching soldiers back to their original MOS because they're not making it in the 51C field so... the interview was required to ensure that I would be 51C material. Well... the interview went well and I emailed my packet Nov. 17th. The SGM also emailed my packet along with his recommendation letter to the proponent SGM. So far I haven't received anything about acceptance of my packet yet. The SGM did contact someone for me though last week and I heard that my packet was in the next stack of five for review so I'm hoping that I'll receive an approval letter soon. Wish me luck!

Posts: 13 | Registered: 05 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of EX-BUDGETNCO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by constant confusion:
quote:
Originally posted by BUDGETSSG:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 51C:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by SKY_SHARK:
I'm submitting my packet this week.

If accepted, when will I find out my new duty assignment?

Depends on what school you go to. Both my battle buddy and I went to school en route so we knew where we were going before we went to school. Good luck, it's not a bad job and from what I understand I am in a strange/singular situation so I will keep my fingers crossed for you. Our Branch is AWESOME and really does a great job of taking care of us. That is one of the perks of this MOS.

Ah, I'm taking it you went through MRAC? If so, very lucky, I would have loved to go through that school.

My battle did MRAC...I went to AABC in Huntsville, that course was rough, but I am glad I did it, lots of stuff that is good to know.

How rough is rough? I'm going to the course in Huntsville next month.

You are going to do a TON of reading and a bunch of projects, but the course is really designed to encourage a group dynamic. The worst for me was using excel and powerpoint for the projects, but I can guarantee someone will help you figure it out. There are a couple of really fun weeks when you really dig into contracting and that is when you can breathe. I am not the most book smart, but if you are good that way it might be easier for you. Your group and how you interact with them to complete assignments will be how you get through the course. Good luck! Do you have your follow on yet?

Well, I work in budget now so I constantly am using excel and powerpoint definitely wont have a problem there... Yeah I have my follow on, good ole' Korea

Posts: 168 | Location: Wherever The Army Sends Me | Registered: 01 August 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by AdminGuy:
I submitted my packet at the beginning of December and I have not heard anything as of yet. How long does it usually take before I will hear something back? Is there anyone I could call to check the status of my packet?

Typically now they are aiming for 4-6 weeks for notification is what I was last told/saw in a brief. I'd contact your career counselor first as they should get first notification if your reclass packet is denied. Failing that, you can get the contact info for the branch manager from the proponent webpage.

I submitted my packet Nov. 17th and still didn't receive my acceptance memo so.... we're in the same boat. Waiting! but i've been patiently waiting and praying that things will work out. I did get contacted by the SGM of the contracting BN here on post that my packet is in the next stack of 5 to get reviewed so hopefully I'll hear some news soon.

Picture of 51C
posted Hide Post
quote:

Well, I work in budget now so I constantly am using excel and powerpoint definitely wont have a problem there... Yeah I have my follow on, good ole' Korea

AABC is constantly being revised. By Feb. it should be the newer shortened course. It should be dropping from 9 weeks to 5 weeks and moving away from Program Management / Life Cycle Management to more of an emphasis on contracting. I can tell you pretty much though that while you will learn some policy/regulation on contracting, you won't learn the actual process there.

I'm taking you received orders to the 409th?

Posts: 467 | Location: CONUS | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
I received my acceptance memo on 12 June and my school date on 16 June.

How long did it take for you to receive your memo? Did the proponent email it? Or did you hear from your Career Counselor?

Picture of EX-BUDGETNCO
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

AABC is constantly being revised. By Feb. it should be the newer shortened course. It should be dropping from 9 weeks to 5 weeks and moving away from Program Management / Life Cycle Management to more of an emphasis on contracting. I can tell you pretty much though that while you will learn some policy/regulation on contracting, you won't learn the actual process there.

I'm taking you received orders to the 409th?

My orders say 670th

Posts: 168 | Location: Wherever The Army Sends Me | Registered: 01 August 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of EX-BUDGETNCO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sweet T:
quote:
I received my acceptance memo on 12 June and my school date on 16 June.

How long did it take for you to receive your memo? Did the proponent email it? Or did you hear from your Career Counselor?

It took almost a month to get my acceptance memo from when I submitted my packet... I received my memo from the proponent SGM.

posted Hide Post
Here's a good website. under "Programs" click the tab that you need..
http://asc.army.mil/career/pro...s/nco/nco_prereq.cfm
And on a side note, I wish everyone would hold off on submitting their packet until mid feb when I can submit mine!

For those of you who recently got accepted, when did you get accepted and when are you reporting to AIT??

Thanks

Posts: 126 | Location: CONUS | Registered: 25 September 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of 51C
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SKY_SHARK:
Here's a good website. under "Programs" click the tab that you need..
http://asc.army.mil/career/pro...s/nco/nco_prereq.cfm
And on a side note, I wish everyone would hold off on submitting their packet until mid feb when I can submit mine!

For those of you who recently got accepted, when did you get accepted and when are you reporting to AIT??

Thanks

Just so your aware, if you goto school in Huntsville, it isn't an "AIT". Its not associated with TRADOC at all, in fact the classes are taught at the University of Alabama - Huntsville, not even on a military base. You will be there TDY for the duration of the class and will be housed at the Beville Convention Center.

The class is taught primarily with civilian instructors and the class mix will consist of DA Civilians, initial entry Acquisition Officers (senior Captain/junior Major), and occasionally you will have some senior NCO (MSG/SGM) attending the classes (usually from the special forces side of the house).

It is based off of a graduate level class, and you can expect the majority of the work to be group based assignments.

If they haven't changed it, you should bring business casual clothes for some of the negotiation exercises.

There is no formal PT, etc although you will be expected to be able to pass height/weight/pt test (if needed).

posted Hide Post
51C- thanks for the insight.
I was sort of hoping this is the way it was operating..

I haven't done formal PT in 5 years.. Been sticking to USASOC units.. I really cannot deal with much big army BS too much.

Posts: 126 | Location: CONUS | Registered: 25 September 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I found the class schedule in ATRRS.

Class Schedule
FY: 2010 School: 884 Course: L3ABR6C031 0C1A Phase: Course Length: 8 Weeks 0.0 Days
Course Title: CONTRACTING APPRENTICE BNCOC
Class Maximum: 4 Class Optimum: 4 Class Minimum: 1

check it out, there's 3 class start dates per month but the class size is small.

Picture of 51C
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by sweet T:
I found the class schedule in ATRRS.

Class Schedule
FY: 2010 School: 884 Course: L3ABR6C031 0C1A Phase: Course Length: 8 Weeks 0.0 Days
Course Title: CONTRACTING APPRENTICE BNCOC
Class Maximum: 4 Class Optimum: 4 Class Minimum: 1

check it out, there's 3 class start dates per month but the class size is small.

Thats the Air Force class at Lackland AFB in Texas. As you can see, there aren't many slots for that, most people will attend AABC in Huntsville. The school website has some information at:

http://www.almc.army.mil/hsv/hsv.htm

I would suggest not contacting anyone there until a schooldate is entered into ATRRS. They don't do any of the scheduling themselves.

Here is the info for the stuff in Huntsville..

FY: 2010 School: 907A Course: ALMC-QA Phase: Course Length: 8 Weeks 0.0 Days
Course Title: ARMY ACQUISITION BASIC
Class Maximum: 36 Class Optimum: 30 Class Minimum: 15
Class Prereqs Report Date Start Date End Date Capacity Class Type Street City State Zip
001 View 03 Jan 2010 04 Jan 2010 26 Feb 2010 43 Resident 550 SPARKMAN DR NW HUNTSVILLE AL 35816
002 View 21 Feb 2010 22 Feb 2010 16 Apr 2010 45 Resident 550 SPARKMAN DR NW HUNTSVILLE AL 35816
003 View 11 Apr 2010 12 Apr 2010 04 Jun 2010 49 Resident 550 SPARKMAN DR NW HUNTSVILLE AL 35816
004 View 31 May 2010 01 Jun 2010 23 Jul 2010 45 Resident 550 SPARKMAN DR NW HUNTSVILLE AL 35816
005 View 18 Jul 2010 19 Jul 2010 10 Sep 2010 53 Resident 550 SPARKMAN DR NW HUNTSVILLE AL 35816
006 View 06 Sep 2010 07 Sep 2010 29 Oct 2010 15 Resident 550 SPARKMAN DR NW HUNTSVILLE AL 35898

As you can see, only 6 or so classes per year.

posted Hide Post
I would imagine that SOUTHCOM or whoever handles Hati is really going to work and gaining valuable experience these days after the quake.

Posts: 2599 | Registered: 08 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of 51C
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Corvette1140:
I would imagine that SOUTHCOM or whoever handles Hati is really going to work and gaining valuable experience these days after the quake.

Not too likely, if anyone goes, it won't be more than 1 or 2 people. There is no consistent vendor base available there to contract out too.