ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Reenlistment Forum  Hop To Forums  Reclassing    51C Information
Page 1 2 3 4 5 ... 103
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

51C Information
 Login/Join

Career Counselor
Picture of ArmyReenlistment
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DevilDog 2Soldier:
My question is do I have to wait until I am eligible to re-up again in order to re class to this ?

Like 51C stated, you can submit a voluntary reclasification after you've been approved by the 51C branch.

You will most likely reenlist for 6 years to meet the 60 month service remaining requirement; this will occur before you go to school.

It's YOUR career! Take control of it before someone else does.
http://www.ArmyReenlistment.com
http://www.facebook.com/ArmyReenlistment

Posts: 6763 | Location: Joint Base Myer-Henderson Hall | Registered: 31 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArmyReenlistment:
quote:
My question is do I have to wait until I am eligible to re-up again in order to re class to this ?

Like 51C stated, you can submit a voluntary reclasification after you've been approved by the 51C branch.

You will most likely reenlist for 6 years to meet the 60 month service remaining requirement; this will occur before you go to school.

I will go see my local Career counselor. But I doubt if they are going to let me out of "Old guard" anytime soon but I can still see about it...thanks for the info.

Posts: 617 | Registered: 25 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Career Counselor
Picture of ArmyReenlistment
posted Hide Post
When did you get to the Old Guard? Isn't that a 36-month committment?

It's YOUR career! Take control of it before someone else does.
http://www.ArmyReenlistment.com
http://www.facebook.com/ArmyReenlistment

Posts: 6763 | Location: Joint Base Myer-Henderson Hall | Registered: 31 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Sorry I had a brain fart. Yes it is a 36 month commitment. By the time I get done with this assignment I will have more then 10 yrs active federal service. It was a nice thought but I guess it isn't happening. Thanks for the info.

Posts: 617 | Registered: 25 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of 51C
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sorry I had a brain fart. Yes it is a 36 month commitment. By the time I get done with this assignment I will have more then 10 yrs active federal service. It was a nice thought but I guess it isn't happening. Thanks for the info.

They will accept TIS waivers up to 14 years I believe.

Posts: 467 | Location: CONUS | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
While they will entertain TIS waivers, what is the likelihood that they will be approved? Did you personally know anyone above the 10 yr mark that made the cut? I really feel I am cut out for the MOS, but I have some great things lined up with Respiratory Therapy. I go to school for it in a year and my obligation is finished at roughly 14 yrs TIS. My only concern w/ it is SLOW promo. Where if I run into a brick wall I will go 35L, 51C or AMEDD.

Posts: 2619 | Registered: 08 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of 51C
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Corvette1140:
While they will entertain TIS waivers, what is the likelihood that they will be approved? Did you personally know anyone above the 10 yr mark that made the cut? I really feel I am cut out for the MOS, but I have some great things lined up with Respiratory Therapy. I go to school for it in a year and my obligation is finished at roughly 14 yrs TIS. My only concern w/ it is SLOW promo. Where if I run into a brick wall I will go 35L, 51C or AMEDD.

When I went through school, out of 12 NCOS present for training, only two of us had under 10 years. The highest I saw was an individual with 16 years. I have a Soldier reporting to me next month with 13 years, so I know for a fact that they are still taking TIS waivers.

Posts: 467 | Location: CONUS | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Good to know thanks

Picture of Jae_3
posted Hide Post
I am in the course right now being given in D.C., then Huntsville. It is alot of information to retain and alot of responsibility, but it is worth it because of the opportunities available while enlisted and after retirement I think. SGM Jones, the head enlisted 51C, told us they are looking to reclass alot of NCOs within the next two years.
He wants us to tell NCOs about the MOS. If anyone needs the powerpoint slide, send me a text.

Posts: 27 | Registered: 01 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of 51C
posted Hide Post
Wait until you get to Huntsville for the course down here. First time I've seen people literally crying because of the course work. It is by far the hardest class I've ever had to take. But on a good note, it is designed to help you pass, just like Jae_3 said, it is a huge amount of information over a 9 week period.

Huge opportunities both in and after retirement though.

posted Hide Post
Sweet Jesus it sounds hard as hell. What would be a good source of info before a person went to the course, like a textbook, AR, or FM? What happens if a person washes out of the course? Do they get one more shot at the class (kind of like a recycle) or do they become needs of the Army and involuntary reclassed? Or do they just go back to their last MOS?

Picture of 51C
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Corvette1140:
Sweet Jesus it sounds hard as hell. What would be a good source of info before a person went to the course, like a textbook, AR, or FM? What happens if a person washes out of the course? Do they get one more shot at the class (kind of like a recycle) or do they become needs of the Army and involuntary reclassed? Or do they just go back to their last MOS?

There really isn't anything you can study as the course isn't taught to an "Army" standard. It is based off of DAU (Defense Aquisition University) which is a federal standard that all aquistion personnel must adhere by as far as training requirements. This includes Program Management, Test and Development, Software Acquisition personnel etc.

There are courses through DAU that you can take that will cover the material taught in the course, but it won't give you any edge in the class.

While the class is difficult, the way it is graded it is hard to fail out of. I know of only one individual who has failed out in the past year. I'm not sure what happened to him.

You can do extremely poor in the individual exercises, but typically it the groupwork that will carry you through. My group for example, was myself, a SSG, MAJ, CPT, and a DA civilian. We spent a lot of time together over the 8-9 weeks.

posted Hide Post
The only thing that would concern me would be what would happen if I did not make the cut. Would I be needs of the Army or could there be a second chance?

Picture of Jae_3
posted Hide Post
www.acq.osd.mil/dpap/Docs/ctrrestofus.pdf

This document can provide a basic understanding of what contracting NCOs will do, but it isn't Army specific.

Posts: 27 | Registered: 01 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of 68X Lumpy
posted Hide Post
What duty stations are 51C used at?

-----

Posts: 106 | Location: Miesau, Germany | Registered: 14 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post