ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Reenlistment Forum  Hop To Forums  Reclassing    The good and bad of 46Q/46R
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The good and bad of 46Q/46R
 Login/Join

Picture of TM
posted Hide Post
Quick question for the 46r's...are there any programs that you would recommend studying up on? IE: adobe premiere, after effects etc.?

Posts: 26 | Location: Ft Meade | Registered: 22 February 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Minerva46R
posted Hide Post
quote:
What happens if you fail the voice audition, do you go home or get retrained to a 46q?

When I went through DINFOS in 2008 as an IET soldier, a lot of people that failed out of BWAS were in different situations. IET soldiers were given a list (usually the BEAR list) and told to pick a new MOS, which at the time also included 46Q so many did take that option. There were no Army MOS-Q soldiers that failed out of my class, so to tell you the truth I'm not sure how it works for reclass soldiers and I don't want to give you a wrong answer.

quote:
Originally posted by TMort:
Quick question for the 46r's...are there any programs that you would recommend studying up on? IE: adobe premiere, after effects etc.?

While at DINFOS I learned on AVID but during my time there they were moving to Premiere. It's likely you'll be using Premiere there and equally likely you'll be using it for much of the rest of your career. I believe AFN still uses AVID for the most part however, so it's kind of a toss up. You won't use After Effects in the schoolhouse or for story production outside of DINFOS. I've tinkered around with it a few times trying to make graphics for videos I was assigned to shoot that weren't stories though, so knowing any kind of video editing software won't hurt you in the long run.

Posts: 26 | Location: Fort Bliss | Registered: 06 May 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of mcgeorge36
posted Hide Post
Here's a quick update with what is going on. If you are going to try to go 46Q, I would definitely suggest trying to bone up on your English and grammar skills. The first morning of class, you will take an English assessment. If you don't pass, there are two choices. Either you can be sent back, or you can go through what is called JPREP. That is a journalism preparatory course. It basically helps you with your English and grammar skills. I unfortunately did not pass my assessment, so I will be going through the JPREP course that starts on June 7th, and will be starting the actual 46Q class (as long as I pass JPREP) on or around the 21st of June. If you can, start studying and get yourself prepared!

Posts: 85 | Location: Fort Bliss, TX | Registered: 12 March 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of mcgeorge36
posted Hide Post
Here is some more info about my time here at Fort Meade. If you are coming to school here at DINFOS at all, ensure that you bring your class A uniform with you. The last monday of every month, that is the uniform that is to be worn. Not sure if there are any inspections or anything with it, but you will wear it all day, as well as for your graduation.
Also, this is a joint service school. You class will include initial entry soldiers, as well as others re-classing into your MOS. It will also include Navy, Air Force and Marines. Some initial entry, some re-classing. You will have instructors ranging from civilians, to those from other services as well.
You will have 2 separate chain of commands. One from the army detachment, and another academic one. They won't interfere with each other, but either one can cause you to be eliminated from either course. You will have to maintain a 70% academically to stay in the course. I believe (not sure, will find out for anyone who wants to know), that anything below a 75, and you are placed on academic probation.
As of right now, my JPREP class starts on the 7th of June, and I will be entering the 46Q class that starts at the end of June and graduates on the 22nd of September. From what I am seeing from those in the class that I was supposed to be in, the homework and assignments can be pretty brutal. There are 5 separate areas that you are tested on initially prior to starting the course, and should you not do well enough, you will have modules that you will have to complete and turn in within a certain amount of time. This is to include the homework and regular coursework that you will receive. While you may be able to enjoy your weekends here, during the week, it's pretty much just studying and catching up with the work that you are to do, not allot of partying and normal TDY things going on. Maybe the stuff calms down after a while, but not really sure yet.
You will only get about an hour for lunch, not the normal hour and a half. Lunch will be from 1130 to 1230. The instructors really do not look kindly on showing up late or not showing up at all to class. You are not marched to class at all or anything, you show up on your own.
I would definitely ensure that you are at least somewhat knowledgeable on the new PRT as well, as that is what is done here. They cycle through everyone to give PT, with just one of the cadre there supervising, ensuring everything goes ok. They really don't get involved to much at all, allot of it for us re-classing is student run and student led. Hope this helps, and if there are any other questions, let me know, and I will do my best to answer them for you guys.

Posts: 85 | Location: Fort Bliss, TX | Registered: 12 March 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thanks this information is very helpful. I have a 46r class date for January.

Posts: 10 | Registered: 19 December 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Quick question, are the classes joint service classes?

I've heard that prior service army are grouped into the same class too?

Posts: 88 | Location: ft. campbell | Registered: 05 March 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of mcgeorge36
posted Hide Post
Yes, the classes are all joint service classes. You will be in class with both prior service (called MOS-T's) and initial entry service members from all services (called MOS-I's). They do not put just prior service together for class purposes. They actually would like the NCO's to ensure that the service members in the class do the right things, stay awake, things like that.

posted Hide Post
My ETS isn't until October 2013, so my reenlistment window has yet to open. Since I'm an E-5 25U (understrength MOS), I was wondering if I could reclass to 46R now without reenlisting... Also, how long is the school for this MOS at Ft. Meade and after submitting the paperwork for reclass, how long would I have to wait for a class date? Thanks!

Posts: 9 | Location: Fort Leonard Wood, MO | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
** Not an expert, but fairly confident with these answers **

1. You would probably have to "extend" so that you would have 2 years retainablility from the completion of training. Once you complete school, you would have to reenlist for a min 3 years. I would talk with your retention NCO about your options, first.

2. Not sure the length of the Romeo course.. look it up online.

3. It took me (first time) 2-3 months for a class date in the Quebec course, and 7 weeks (sencond time) this past winter to get a course date.

Posts: 6 | Registered: 16 May 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
mcgeorge36- Just a few questions about the living arrangements...

Is there any type of internet and cable TV service in the MOS-T barracks rooms? Would you recommend bringing a laptop and small TV?(I have a little 22" LCD laying around.)

Are we issued linens or can we use our own sheets/blankets/pillows? Is the room required to be set-up "military style"?(Towels/PTs/Uniform hung a certain way, boots/shoes lined up under the bed, wall lockers micromanaged, etc...)

Finally, how is the DFAC? Do most MOS-Ts eat there? I'm all for sucking it up and eating at a DFAC 24/7 (especially since they're stealing my BAS...), but I'm hoping the food is at least somewhat edible...

Any other info you can provide would be great! Thanks!

Posts: 9 | Location: Fort Leonard Wood, MO | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of 11B32B
posted Hide Post
McGeorge I have several highly important questions to ask you!

Do you have to stand in formation?

Do you have to do PT?

Do I have to call the instructors Sergeant or Sir?

Last question, it's cool if I wear cool guy aviator sun glasses and walk around with my dog tags hanging out like I do in the club on friday nights right!?

Cool, thanks.

Posts: 405 | Location: Europe | Registered: 21 February 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of mcgeorge36
posted Hide Post
SGT Henry,
It all depends on which building you are in for internet and cable. Some of the buildings have flat screens mounted on the walls in the rooms with free cable, some don't. I would definitely bring a laptop regardless, but you may end up in a building with or without cable. And the tv's do have built in DVD players on them.
You can get linen issued, but you can also use your own. They are small (twin I think) beds. No set up standards at all, the fact is, nobody even comes over here at all as far as I know to check. You will be mixed in with permanent party and WTU guys in the barracks, but they try to put people together if they can that are MOS-T's if posssible.
The DFAC is ok. It did manage to win best DFAC in the Army (large category) when it was last issued (either 2010 or 2011, not really sure how, but whatever), so it's really not that bad. The weekends kinda suck there, but during the weeks its okay. They may, or may not take your separate rats. They have not taken mine yet (have been here since the middle of May), but that doesn't mean that they won't at some point.
I can provide any other info you want, just ask away.

posted Hide Post
mcgeorge36 - Thanks for the info!

LBeezy - You actually wasted your time typing that out? Troll somewhere else.

posted Hide Post
SGT McGeorge,

How is school going thus far? I've been curious as to how you've been doing, especially since I will be reporting there less than three weeks from today. Couple of questions for ya;

** Besides brushing up on grammer and punctuations, is there anything else you would suggest brushing up on before reporting?

** Outside of the packing list, is there anything you would recommend bringing to the course? Is there anything looking back you're like "I wish I would've packed that!"?

** How have the weekends been? Any extra duties or Staff Duty or anything like that?

** Lastly, PT; Have you been conducting PRT? If so, have the NCOs (students) been conducting it? I have not been introduced to PRT yet and have zero clue on what it is or what to do. I am downloading the reg today and will be reading up on it, but you can only read so much without actually seeing it to understand something.

Thanks again for all your help! Hope all is well!

Posts: 6 | Registered: 16 May 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of mcgeorge36
posted Hide Post
Hey everyone. Sorry for the fact that I have not been online in a while. Things have gotten a little bit busy with school, but I have not forgotten about everyone here. Here is some other things that I can give everyone information on.
TM46r-the assignments are very different. They actually try to assign you back to your current duty station if at all possible, if there is a position available at your current duty station. As with everything in the Army, if there is a higher priority at another location, then you may end up at that location. If you are already airborne qualified, then there is about a 176% chance you are going to an airborne unit, most likely in the 82nd at Fort Bragg. Sorry, just the facts.
I honestly do not know why there is such a shortage. I know that lots of these assignments are at either brigade combat teams (which is a newer type thing) or PAD's (Public Affairs Detachments), or MPAD's (Mobile Public Affairs Detachments). If you are a 46R, then you could possibly end up at an AFN network somewhere, but I do not know how SFC Beech works that.
Do not know about the civilian contractor opportunities. I have not even honestly begun to think about that.
46R and 46Q do transfer to college credits in lots of areas. Check with your college or check with COOL to see what kinds of credit you can get.
And finally, you do not have classes with any other MOS's. Whatever MOS you have, those are the only people that you have class with. Nobody else. Hope this helps you.
Tumbler-School has been going good so far. Have taken my first quiz, and my first actual exam. So far, I have 100 on both.
I would suggest, more than anything, brushing up on your grammar, sentence structure, and punctuation. Those, honestly, are the biggest things that have gotten people eliminated from the course from what the instructors are telling us. If you can get hold of the AP Stylebook, at least look at it. There are lots of things that the Associated Press (AP) do differently in how they write that you might be used to. It takes a little bit of time to get used to it.
I would suggest going on the DINFOS website, clicking on the Army link, and looking at the packing list. There are clearly things that you need to bring, that people over look. You class A uniform is one of them. You will have to wear you class A's/B's at least once a month, and to be able to walk across the stage for graduation. You probably don't want to be that dirtbag that does not bring it with them, trying to say that they were not told. Also, it is class B's that you will wear in class once a month, so at this time, if you do not have a short sleeve dress shirt, I would suggest on getting one. Sometimes the AC in the classrooms goes out, and to top it off, it hot as moose balls and humid as hell here. So, I personally, have found it a little more comfortable to wear the short sleeve dress shirt than the long sleeve and tie. Your preference though.
The weekends are for the most part yours. You will only have formations a few times a week. Every weekday morning for PT at 0440, and then the last duty day of the week at 0720 for a safety briefing. That's it. A grand total of six times at the most. You may have a mandatory class at times, which they use the school house for, and if they do, they will usually do it at either 0500 or 1630. If you are a corporal or above, you will occasionally have to pull duty. It is just duty driver. You are responsible for driving either the privates or whoever to the airport, picking them up from certain places, things like that. It depends on the cadre on duty at the time whether or not you have to stay there or go back to your room and leave your phone number. Honestly, at most, it probably comes around maybe once a month. Not that big of a deal.
As for PT, yes, you are doing PRT. It is student led. If you have not been introduced to PRT yet, do not worry. If you let the cadre or some of the other students know, at least the cadre for sure will help you out. Honestly, it can be very daunting to know what is going on with the different movements and different exercises. They do know that not everyone has done it so far.
One other thing of note. As of last week (?), the Fort Meade CG has signed a policy letter stating that we, as the MOS-T soldiers (prior service), are no longer allowed to stay in the barracks. We are only allowed 50 rooms or so, and as of right now, we have over 100. We already have students that are staying in either lodging or civilian lodging. I know what ATTRS says about lodging, but when you get here, there is a chance you may not be staying in the barracks. Not exactly sure how that is going to work for everyone, especially with units authorizing government credit cards and all other kinds of things. Something to keep in mind.
Like I said earlier, sorry I have not posted more, but I have been a little overwhelmed with school and some personal issues. I will be here to answer any questions anyone may have, just ask away, and I will get back to you as soon as possible. Good luck to everyone.