Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Route Recon
 Login/Join

posted
Looking for ideas to conduct a route recon class. Any help?

SSG Marcus Jones

Posts: 2 | Registered: 02 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Illernoise
posted Hide Post
Wish I could help ya out but I don't have anything.

Posts: 660 | Location: Ft. Drum | Registered: 16 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I suggest having many types of hands-on training aides. Take the students on a 'recon' of an area by you and point out things they need to look for/ keep in mind. i.e. terrain, the weather, traffic patterns, COBs, routes to get to desired area, 'back-doors', etc. It isn't always possible to go out in person for a recon, so also have a few maps or areas and have them go over map reading and interpretation. Any monkey can find a few grid points, but it takes pratice to understand and visualize what the pretty lines mean in terms of movement and mission. Have a sand table available, or little green army men, chess pieces, or scraps to lay-out an idea of the route. I suggest giving the students all aspects that you can of route recon, hands-on and lecture including past historical references of good & bad, etc. I would love to know what you ultimately decided on. Hope this helps.

Go Kinetic!

Posts: 99 | Location: Baghdad | Registered: 01 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of grlrplmstr
posted Hide Post
FM 5-36, Route Reconnaissance and Clearance

Posts: 224 | Location: Platoon Mama in the Last Frontier!! | Registered: 08 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post