ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Branch Specific Posts  Hop To Forums  Engineer    Prep for sapper school
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Prep for sapper school
 Login/Join

posted
Gentlemen,

I have the honor of being named my Commands NCO of the year, as my reward i get to go to sapper leader course, I have read the website
, but i would like some first hand knowledge, what is the best way to prepare myself? I have a PT score of 270 and rising, so no problem there, i am also good at land nav, your best tips and advice would really help. i would like to know where most students have problems? what is the training really like, not just what the website says? i have zero experience with demo, will they cover it adequately enough for a reasonably intelligent person to pick it up and apply it? anything you guys have is most welcome, i have about a million questions so please give it all up!

Hoah!

SGT K

Posts: 4 | Registered: 22 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Illernoise
posted Hide Post
Make sure you study up on demo calculations ...damn it i was about to say a couple of other things but can't remember now. Oh yeah, look at FM 5-34 Engineer Field Data and FM 5-25 Explosives and Demolitions . Good luck!

Posts: 660 | Location: Ft. Drum | Registered: 16 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
ok heres a few tips, Im in route to Sapper leader course myself, First off Ruck your a@@ off, try and do at least 4-6miles every couple days, also Swim alot, a protion of the course you have to swin the whole way across Lake of the ozarks, if you cant swim at all they give you a vest to stay afloat but your still going to need to swim it. Practice all of your knots, Demo and other things you'll be doing will envolve knots, some of the main ones will be, Sapper knot, Uli knot pronounced You-lee, Figure 8 and double figure 8 knot, Demo knot, Gurth hitch, Double overhand knot. Read up on those, Ruck, Swim, Run Oh and I almost forgot Climb ropes, do pull ups, and a couple 5 mile runs timed, try to get under 40min, mine is around 35:30 and i finnished 3rd out of 60 runners. other then that you should be good. Good luck and have fun.

SGT Walley
Engineer 2005-present

Posts: 1 | Registered: 23 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SGT Walley:
ok heres a few tips, Im in route to Sapper leader course myself, First off Ruck your a@@ off, try and do at least 4-6miles every couple days, also Swim alot, a protion of the course you have to swin the whole way across Lake of the ozarks, if you cant swim at all they give you a vest to stay afloat but your still going to need to swim it. Practice all of your knots, Demo and other things you'll be doing will envolve knots, some of the main ones will be, Sapper knot, Uli knot pronounced You-lee, Figure 8 and double figure 8 knot, Demo knot, Gurth hitch, Double overhand knot. Read up on those, Ruck, Swim, Run Oh and I almost forgot Climb ropes, do pull ups, and a couple 5 mile runs timed, try to get under 40min, mine is around 35:30 and i finnished 3rd out of 60 runners. other then that you should be good. Good luck and have fun.

Keith Walley...haha. Small world, I was looking for a powerpoint to go over knots and look who's on here posting info. Engineers lead the way!

Posts: 1 | Location: 223 | Registered: 19 December 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post