ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Reenlistment Forum  Hop To Forums  Schools    army diver school (21D)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

army diver school (21D)
 Login/Join

posted
Anyone out there got insight on army diver school? heard its one of the hardest schools in the army,is this true? i read the course description but wanted some personal experience info on it.thanks

Posts: 7 | Registered: 21 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of SGT EyE
posted Hide Post
Figgy,

Sorry man... I'm not at an Army Diving school. I've read a detailed description of the course. There is a 2 week pre-requisite training course prior to starting the school. You have to be able to swim 500 meters, tread water for 2 minutes with your hands and forehead above the water, you'll have to dive in the water (about 10 ft deep) to retrieve a 25 pound weight -bring it to the surface- hold it above your head and state your name, and SSN to the instuctor. Don't drop it or you'll be doing that allday long. I just know it sucks!!! It'll probably be the most physically demanding course you will ever attend in your life but it's possible to make it. As you probably already know you have to be below an E-5, that is if you coming just to reclass. You can get slot easy if you are Special Ops. I recommend you read "Get Selected" by MAJ Joe Martin and MSG Rex Dodson. Good Luck man. [URL=www.warrior-mentor.com ]WARRIOR MENTOR WEBSITE[/URL]

Posts: 41 | Location: Fort Meade | Registered: 29 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of DiveReenlistment
posted Hide Post
Not a diver myself, but I am the reenlistment NCO for one of the two Army dive companies. What in particular would you like to know? If you could be a little more specific i'll ask around and get your questions answered.

In reference to SGT EyE, I'm afraid I have to make a small correction. "You can get slot easy if you are Special Ops" isn't exactly true. This is the case for the Army Combat Diver School, in which case being in SpecOps is one of the few ways to get in. The dive school to reclass to 21D is completely different.

In regards to the difficulty of the course, it is very difficult. About 70% of people trying to be a diver don't make it. It's very demanding, both physically and mentally.

Let me know what info you need, and I'll find out for you.

Posts: 4 | Location: Ft. Eustis | Registered: 29 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of ORTIZJJ2
posted Hide Post
I feel that there is a pretty informative powerpoint presentation that you can download from the following site. http://www.rrs.army.mil/retention/Downloads.htm

Just scroll down to the "World Wide Retention Training Seminar (WWRTS) FY 2007" section and click on the "U.S. Army Diver Brief". I and other Career Counselors were briefed in person by the Instructors themselves. They created the slides. I hope this helps!!

Posts: 98 | Location: Germany | Registered: 28 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Career Counselor
Picture of ArmyReenlistment
posted Hide Post
Here is the exact link to the PowerPoint Presentation.

http://www.rrs.army.mil/retention/Downloads/WWRTC/U.S.%...%20Diver%20Brief.ppt

It's YOUR career! Take control of it before someone else does.
http://www.ArmyReenlistment.com
http://www.facebook.com/ArmyReenlistment

Posts: 6763 | Location: Joint Base Myer-Henderson Hall | Registered: 31 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of RishTheDish
posted Hide Post
word on the street is they make you drown in this course... anyone know if its true? I hope it is, thats awsome.

"Beat your face 'till I get tired, I'll be back...."

Posts: 5 | Location: Ft. Lewis | Registered: 03 February 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Career Counselor
Picture of ArmyReenlistment
posted Hide Post
Sounds likely, but I'm not an expert.

It's YOUR career! Take control of it before someone else does.
http://www.ArmyReenlistment.com
http://www.facebook.com/ArmyReenlistment

Posts: 6763 | Location: Joint Base Myer-Henderson Hall | Registered: 31 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
i would like some more information. my son is going to basic in july and was lucky enough to get locked into a 21D MOS. he is already a certified diver which sould help. but any heads up i can give him before he leaves will help him perpare

Posts: 1 | Registered: 26 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I had 2 21Ds in my WLC class and they told us all about their training. They said one thing they had to do was go underwater, take off all their gear. After they had it all off, someone would spin them all around and then they had a certain time limit to get all their gear back on while someone was underwater with them trying to pull all their gear back off.

Posts: 71 | Location: MacDill AFB, Florida | Registered: 07 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of DiveReenlistment
posted Hide Post
Well, it's been a while since I was with the divers, but from everyone I talked to, focus is key. Dive school is challenging both physically and mentally. To prepare phyically, get used to all the standard PT, and add in extra flutter kicks, pull-ups, and swimming. If the dive PT test is still like it used to be, the events will be pushups, situps, run, pull-ups, and swim. Mentally, just try to study and keep up, there's a lot to learn, andit's all important, especially later on when you're going to transition to salvage diver. Dive was a great bunch of guys, and I miss them a lot. I wish your son the best of luck.

Posts: 4 | Location: Ft. Eustis | Registered: 29 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
There are two Army National Guard heavy dive teams, one in Texas and the other in Puerto Rico. Please visit our web page, 627dive.com for more information about Army diving and what it takes to become a diver.
Army Guard diving will pay you handsomely to go to the toughest dive school in the world, which will prepare you physically and mentally for the world of commercial diving and military diving. The Guard offers many other benefits such as low-cost health insurance, tuition assistance for you and your spouse and other things too numerous to mention. Contact us today with any questions.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 11 August 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
If anyone is interested in becoming an Army Engineer Diver, feel free to contact me or contact our selection course at 573-596-0131 ext. 2679.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 12 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
If I am enlisting for the 1st time what are the chance of me getting 21d as my mos?

Posts: 1 | Registered: 01 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post