ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  General Community Discussion  Hop To Forums  Deployment Discussion    Cell phones in Afghanistan?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cell phones in Afghanistan?
 Login/Join

Picture of ArmyWife~N~Soldier
posted
I have heard the soldiers in Afghanistan are not allowed to buy local cell phones or "haji phones" like they do in Iraq. Is this true? Does anyone know?

Posts: 758 | Location: Fort Carson, CO | Registered: 12 March 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of 11BIN3ID
posted Hide Post
your not "allowed" to buy them in iraq either... but of course people do their own thing

Posts: 991 | Registered: 12 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I can tell you that my unit really doesn't care. Alot of the joes here have "local" phones, to include myself.

It all depends on the COC.

Posts: 73 | Location: Ft. Sill, OK ....B 1/78 FA | Registered: 17 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
That's good that they're still available...my husband is deploying too and wont be in the same area as me and I have no way of calling the MWR phones on his base from mine (that I know of).

Posts: 758 | Location: Fort Carson, CO | Registered: 12 March 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of 11BIN3ID
posted Hide Post
but if they have dsn phones, you should be able to use those... not too sure about afghan, but i know we had lots of dsn phones in iraq..so if i were a betting man i would guess that they have at least a few of them there.

Posts: 991 | Registered: 12 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
The major bases have Roshan and another cell phone carrier (I forget the name) on base selling cards to recharge minutes on your phone. You can purchase a phone online prior to deployment but if you wait you can get one on base or purchase one from someone that is redeploying to the States.

Also, the major bases have internet in rooms so you can use IM.

DSN is a last resort as you will need to use an office phone.

If you know a unit is going to a remote location, your FRG can hold a fundraiser to purchase a SATCOM internet system for the unit.

Posts: 240 | Registered: 04 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
If you have an unlocked blackberry or jailbroken iphone you can just put the Roshan SIM card and go.

You can basically use any generic phone that uses a SIM card and itll work fine. You can buy prepaid units to recharge your minutes online also.

also heres a crazy one if you have a blackberry. have verizon unlock it for you and get the international email plan. although it doesnt state that its not suposed to be used for data it basically lets you use data reliant apps, read: facebook.

Posts: 88 | Location: ft. campbell | Registered: 05 March 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of 11B32B
posted Hide Post
Roshan is WAAAY to expensive, like others said, switch to verizon and get the international data plans, way better, think middle of nowhere, still able to use your phone to e-mail and browse news and use text applications... Do it now before you go... Don't wait until you get there.

Posts: 405 | Location: Europe | Registered: 21 February 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LBeezy:
Roshan is WAAAY to expensive, like others said, switch to verizon and get the international data plans, way better, think middle of nowhere, still able to use your phone to e-mail and browse news and use text applications... Do it now before you go... Don't wait until you get there.

We already have Verizon...will our own cell phones work? We just have to switch to the international plan?

Picture of 11B32B
posted Hide Post
I'd contact verizon about that one, my buddies had their normal blackberries and used those.

Posts: 405 | Location: Europe | Registered: 21 February 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of 51C
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArmyWife~N~Soldier:
quote:
Originally posted by LBeezy:

We already have Verizon...will our own cell phones work? We just have to switch to the international plan?

Since I'm assuming that you will want to talk to your husband, who will also be in country, just use Roshan or AWCC or MTN or whichever carrier gets the best reception at your FOB. Chances are you are headed out the area that I'm in right now.

There is no reason to keep an international plan to call your husband. You will end up paying 2-3$ a minute as opposed to 10-12 Afghani per minute. To give you comparison, a 500 afghani roshan recharge card runs about 9-11$ depending on who you get it from. There are different plans available if you talk to one of the terps who can sign you up for one of the plans that will make it cheaper.

Posts: 467 | Location: CONUS | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of 11B32B
posted Hide Post
Gotta think about calling the family back home too. Depending on ROSHAN gets way to expensive.

I suggested international DATA plan so you can e-mail, browse news, use internet based apps for a set fee per month ( around 60-70 bucks ). Do your casual talking via e-mail or instant messanger on your verizon phone.

Both you and your husband aquire or purchase a cheap Roshan phone. Trade phone numbers, buy a card like 51C said but don't rely on that... IT's WAAAY to expensive to make casual calls, save it for emergencies.

Here's the catch.. The calls you RECIEVE to your roshan phone are free for you, they don't spend your minutes. You can have a balance of 0 on an active account and recieve phone calls from others using SKYPE.

Maybe your and or your husbands FOB, SP, or w/e type of base your on will get a little MWR set up, you might even be on a big base like KAF or BAF or Mike Spann and get WiFi service for 90 dollars a month. On which you can rely on for casual phone calls and entertainment.

Since you already have Verizon, you can always take the data plan, and once you get a MWR or find out you have WiFi access you can cancel it and go back to your normal plan on military suspension.

posted Hide Post
Thanks everybody for the advice. We will find something that works for us. The majority of our calls will probably be to one another. I will be using Skype to see/talk to my son.

51C, I can tell you what camp we are going to but is that considered OPSEC?

Picture of sysalis
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArmyWife~N~Soldier:
51C, I can tell you what camp we are going to but is that considered OPSEC?

Yes.

"The most dangerous thing in the world is a second lieutenant with a map and a compass."
-Murphy's Law of Combat

Posts: 700 | Location: USAG-Daegu, South Korea | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Beezy remember she will be calling her husband who will also have a phone down there. I had Roshan when I was in Afghanistan which sucked calling back to the states as a $20 card would only give me like 30 minutes. But once we got the SPAWAR phones in the FOB I only used it to comunicate with budies around country and it was basically like any other prepaid phones here in the states.

Posts: 7 | Location: HAAF, ga | Registered: 18 April 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post