ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

   

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum
 
ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  General Community Discussion  Hop To Forums  Deployment Discussion    Cell phones in Afghanistan?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Cell phones in Afghanistan?
 Login/Join
 

Picture of 11B32B
posted Hide Post
Your right SGT Sob, just a matter of waiting until it gets set up if your in a remote location. She mentioned she's going to a camp, so that shouldn't be a problem. Still I suggest the unlimited data thing.
 
Posts: 405 | Location: Europe | Registered: 21 February 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of 98C40_35N40
posted Hide Post
The Verizon thing is def the way to go, esp with the data plan.

Additionally if you have a Black Berry, your Black Berry Messenger (BBM, BB specific text messaging like function) will work and wont cost anything beyond the plan.

Using this, email, and facebook will allow you both to communicate and talk to each other without having to spend major bucks. However if you two are the types that want to hear each other breathe over the phone, it will definitely get expensive.


NCO's Lead The Way!

SFC Nick Martinez
B Co, 3rd MI BN (AE)
Camp Humphreys, KOR

“I am the punishment of God... If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” ― Genghis Khan
 
Posts: 273 | Location: HQ J2, USSTRATCOM, Offutt AFB, NE | Registered: 20 April 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of 25U_commo
posted Hide Post
you could also get with your commo rep to see if they can't setup an "mwr" dsn line somewhere usually in the chaplins office, we did that on my last deployment and people loved it, the privacy it offered was nice.

also skype is free computer to computer, or if you get a local cell phone and have your spouse activate the paid version of skype they will be able to call your local phone (free for you(usually)) this is how i stay in contact with my family it might work for you
 
Posts: 105 | Registered: 09 December 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
If 10 or so go in for a satellite system with a company like bentley walker it's not so bad. All you need is a generator and you've got Internet. It doesn't matter how remote you are.
 
Posts: 364 | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of AutobahnSHO
posted Hide Post
My thoughts-

FIND OUT NOW from someone who is actually there if cell service is crappy or not. Some places are fine, others have none to nada for reception.

You can just get a SIM card for blackberry, jailbroken iPhone, whatever, for the Roshan or AWCC service.

We tried Bently Walker, to me totally not worth it. It's "TDMA" (splits the frequency to use across multiple dishes)- during "peak hours" (4pm to 11pm) it's almost unusable. Skype didn't work with video except for 3am(local). This was with the expensive package- 15 people each paying $90/month.

Look up "DSN Directory"- you can find FREE numbers to call from DSN to the states. (As long as who you're trying to dial someone near a military installation.)
--Any base you go to they should be able to setup a DSN phone for morale calls...


Be Proud of what you do- and do it Well! ~me
 
Posts: 5284 | Location: Ft Gordon (Again!!!) :-| | Registered: 22 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Heres what I would do since you both will be deploying to the same area.

1.Get blackberry international data plan. (set fee for unlimited data)

2. Have carrier unlock both phones before deploying.

3. When you get to your base purchase roshan sim cards or whatever carrier sim you choose.

4. Roshan to Roshan calling is overpriced/cheap depending who you ask. But, since you have blackberry plan you guys now have Black berry messenger. I would just use the BBM and if you two want to call each other cheaply have whoever is on a base near a dsn line call your roshan, if you dont want to use your units.

5. What I described above is being able to stay connected to your loved one. Remember that there are other soldiers out there who go weeks at a time without access to computers or phones.

______

There is a few numbers floating around out there that allow your family in the states to dial a toll free number followed by prompts and then finally a persons roshan number. The number I had has been disconnected but it worked and there were no charges. read: free calls from your family to your roshan phone
 
Posts: 88 | Location: ft. campbell | Registered: 05 March 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of ArmyWife~N~Soldier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by letmegetthatforyou:
Heres what I would do since you both will be deploying to the same area.

1.Get blackberry international data plan. (set fee for unlimited data)

2. Have carrier unlock both phones before deploying.

3. When you get to your base purchase roshan sim cards or whatever carrier sim you choose.

4. Roshan to Roshan calling is overpriced/cheap depending who you ask. But, since you have blackberry plan you guys now have Black berry messenger. I would just use the BBM and if you two want to call each other cheaply have whoever is on a base near a dsn line call your roshan, if you dont want to use your units.

5. What I described above is being able to stay connected to your loved one. Remember that there are other soldiers out there who go weeks at a time without access to computers or phones.

______

There is a few numbers floating around out there that allow your family in the states to dial a toll free number followed by prompts and then finally a persons roshan number. The number I had has been disconnected but it worked and there were no charges. read: free calls from your family to your roshan phone


Thank you, everyone actually, for all of the advice. I am going to go into Verizon and ask if I can do the international plan. We don't have blackberries, so I'm not sure if that plan will work or not? Also, we aren't going to the same area, just the same country. He will be 600 miles away Frowner If we were able to text, that would be enough. I am able to do the PDA Net thing w/my cell (tethering; using the cell phone as a modem) so I'm thinking as long as the phone is getting internet over there, I will have it on my computer. I'm going to ask them that too. Thanks again to everyone for the ideas.
 
Posts: 759 | Location: Fort Carson, CO | Registered: 12 March 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of AutobahnSHO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArmyWife~N~Soldier:
Thank you, everyone actually, for all of the advice. I am going to go into Verizon and ask if I can do the international plan. We don't have blackberries, so I'm not sure if that plan will work or not? Also, we aren't going to the same area, just the same country. He will be 600 miles away Frowner If we were able to text, that would be enough. I am able to do the PDA Net thing w/my cell (tethering; using the cell phone as a modem) so I'm thinking as long as the phone is getting internet over there, I will have it on my computer. I'm going to ask them that too. Thanks again to everyone for the ideas.


Might be cheapest to text to just get SIMs (or phones) in the country you're going to. (instead of using international services.)

-Same with using data, getting a local SIM and paying for it might be cheaper than keeping service from the US. And it will be SLOW.


Be Proud of what you do- and do it Well! ~me
 
Posts: 5284 | Location: Ft Gordon (Again!!!) :-| | Registered: 22 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Roshan isn't to bad if you buy more units online. Just go on google and search like roshan or whatever and you'll find its alot cheaper because you can buy in bulk.


Remember, it takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, but only 3 for a good trigger squeeze..
 
Posts: 6 | Registered: 28 July 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gabe26R:
Roshan isn't to bad if you buy more units online. Just go on google and search like roshan or whatever and you'll find its alot cheaper because you can buy in bulk.


I recently returned from deployment and you have two options as far as recharging online and i used them both.

https://www.etopuponline.com/roshan/

http://www.ezetop.com/

I recommend ETOPUPONLINE because they do not charge you anything to recharge online, i would also tell you that their is a way to make Roshan cheaper. Unfortunately i figured this out almost at the end of the deployment, but here is what i did:

I went and talked to one of the Language assistant and asked him to set my phone so i can have favorite numbers which gives you a better rate, the only caveat is that you can only put one international number which in this case might be yours. If you husband is able to do that it will cost you about 10 Afghans a minute or text with a initial daily charge of 10 Afghans. 10 Afghans is approximately 25 cents US, so it might be another option that you and your husband might want to consider as far as cellphones in Afghanistan. One last thing they also have Internet sticks that are a little pricey depending on where you get them and the service is about 25-50 US dollars a month and i have used it to Skype with my wife several times but is not the most defendant.
 
Posts: 2 | Registered: 10 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
You can use satellite phones or some pre paid phones in afghanistan and iraq...
 
Posts: 1 | Location: 501 Central Ave, New Castle,DE 19720 | Registered: 15 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of 1st Team all day
posted Hide Post
roshan is the most popular, but i use Etisalat. I get unlimited data usage on my iphone 4 with them for less than 20 us a month. It works good enough for skype,(no video) and other apps. If you have an att iphone, jailbreak it and unlock it before you deploy. They can do it out here, but it cost me 130.


Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy An Diabhal prowls around like a roaring
lion looking for someone to devour.

Slainte
 
Posts: 41 | Location: Afghanistan | Registered: 30 November 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of 35 Series
posted Hide Post
Just wanted to bump this to say I am traveling to the southern area. I have an unlocked iPhone 4S for international through Verizon.

I am trying to decide what to use.

Should I just get a local sim card and sim card cutter and use Roshan, or use the Verizon plan?

Unfortunately the WiFi doesn't reach my company CP. Mainly I'm looking for data fast enough to iMessage and email, that's it.

I have a DSN line in my office, so phone calls I can either make from that or back in my room over Facetime or Skype.


______________________________________________

"an Army Linguist" - Resources and more about being an Army linguist
 
Posts: 2327 | Location: CONUS | Registered: 30 October 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of AutobahnSHO
posted Hide Post
Local sim is ridiculously cheap- how much would Verizon international be??


Be Proud of what you do- and do it Well! ~me
 
Posts: 5284 | Location: Ft Gordon (Again!!!) :-| | Registered: 22 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TheWiseChief
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MICO 1SG:
Just wanted to bump this to say I am traveling to the southern area. I have an unlocked iPhone 4S for international through Verizon.

I am trying to decide what to use.

Should I just get a local sim card and sim card cutter and use Roshan, or use the Verizon plan?

Unfortunately the WiFi doesn't reach my company CP. Mainly I'm looking for data fast enough to iMessage and email, that's it.

I have a DSN line in my office, so phone calls I can either make from that or back in my room over Facetime or Skype.


I just came back from Afghanistan two weeks ago and brought my iPhone with me that had an AT&T contract. Deployed Soldiers are allowed to suspend their AT&T contracts and to have their iPhones unlocked. It took some reps to talk to because not all of them were tracking.

Some FOBs use a local ISP like Sniper Hill or IO Global. I saw the Topup website but it wanted you to register with a credit card and I was not so trusting of that website regardless if it is HTTPS. I went to the local haji shop and brought a SIM with internet connectivity which costs me 40 bucks a month (AWCC). With that, I had unlimited DATA and was able to use the APP (viber) to call my wife and it worked fine. Many FOBs may have wi-fi free which I had at the USO and at some air terminals that had wi-fi free. Also, there is always a DSN that provide morale calls. Your command should get that info for you but you could google that or find out what is the DSN to your base operator that will transfer you to your local area code for free.
 
Posts: 1902 | Registered: 04 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2 3  
 

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  General Community Discussion  Hop To Forums  Deployment Discussion    Cell phones in Afghanistan?

 
   
 
    
 
 
  
Google Site maps Generator Tool