Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
SGLI-whats the truth?
 Login/Join

posted
OK, does SGLI get payed to your NOK REGARDLESS of how you died or can the army pull technicalities out its 4th point?

Example: If you kill yourself. NO IM NOT GONNA KILL MYSELF!!!!

Example: If you drive outside the 200 mile or whatever it is radius without a pass

Example: If your wearing NONissue bodyarmor

If your gonna response please include a Reg or some sort of proof.

Picture of SGT Crim
posted Hide Post
As far as the stimpulation on that...I would check out www.insurance.va.gov or the SERVICEMEMBERS'GROUP LIFE INSURANCE HANDBOOK (HANDBOOK 29-75-1) check out this link http://www.insurance.va.gov/miscellaneous/insPubs.htm

I am actually researching this as well, since I update DD93 and SGLV here in Iraq daily. GOOD QUESTION! Hopefully this will help you out.

SGT H.

"War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." John F. Kennedy

Posts: 28 | Location: Kirkuk, Iraq | Registered: 05 January 2007Report This Post

Picture of SGT Crim
posted Hide Post
Ok...I have some better information for you now. AR 600-8-1 Chapter 12 Page 59 (LIFE INSURANCE) This covers what you are asking. But keep in mind if the doctor declares the death is NOT IN LINE OF DUTY and IS NOT LIKELY TO RESULT IN A CLAIM AGAINST THE GOVERNMENT FOR FUTURE MEDICAL CARE then you would have problems. A formal investigation can be done. Also for the Body Armor portion, saying a soldier dies in the line of fire with NON-Military Body Armor then the unit can accept that responsibility...just depends on the unit. Hope all of this answers your question.

"War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." John F. Kennedy

Posts: 28 | Location: Kirkuk, Iraq | Registered: 05 January 2007Report This Post

posted Hide Post
I understand that the Army briefs you that if you act recklessly, then your SGLI will not be paid. Although there are some benefits that are affected on whether you die "In the Line of Duty" or "Not in the Line of Duty", SGLI is NOT one of them. Take my word for it, I handle Active Duty survivor benefits and SGLI is my speciality! The biggest issue we have with SGLI is that the soliders dont look at thier monthly SGLI deductions on thier LES! Please look at the coverage amounts below to ensure that you are paying for your desired coverage amount. If not, you need to notify your chain of command IMMEDIATELY! Most of the time, if you decreased/declined your coverage at one point and then tried to increase it again, no one notified you to submit an SGLV-8285, even though it states you must on your SGLV-8286 under "I do not want insurance at this time". It says, "Note: Reduced or refused insurance can ONLY be restored by completing form SGLV 8285..." S1s and SRP sites miss this all the time. Don't let your family go without or with less because you did not take the time to look at your LES.

Premiums/Coverage:
$27.00 - $400k
$23.75 - $350k
$20.50 - $300k
$17.25 - $250k
$14.00 - $200k
$10.75 - $150k
$7.50 - $100k
$4.25 - $50k
$0.00 - $0

Posts: 8 | Location: KY | Registered: 26 November 2010Report This Post

Picture of TransAm95NCO
posted Hide Post
Yeah my Station Commander argued with me that if you did not wear your seat belt or helmet (motorcycle) that if you died the Army would cancel your SGLI, I proved him wrong and then tried to say that he saw a family not get it b/c his buddy had not worn his seatbelt...he always wants to win the argument even with proof otherwise...

Lead by Example!!!

Posts: 3914 | Location: Somewhere in the US | Registered: 13 September 2007Report This Post

posted Hide Post
Although they want to scare you into being safe, the truth is that there are monetary benefits that will be affected if you are not safe. Survivor Benefits Program is one. This would be a monthly payment to your spouse (forever, as long as they do not remarry before age 55) OR to each of your children, until age 18 or 22, if unmarried and full time student. Cannot be both your spouse and your children, but the spouse gets to choose after the soldier's death, soldier has no control over this. However, if you are drinking and driving, AWOL or whatever and they find your death "Not in the Line of Duty" your dependants will NOT receive this benefit. Please keep this in mind when you about to do something reckless.

posted Hide Post
That is interesting that there would be any circumstance that a soldier who PAYS for SGLI should not be eligible for the benefit upon his/her death... except in the case of suicide, that one I understand. But since SGLI is not free, the soldier is paying for it, it should pay out regardless of a "reckless" act like wearing the wrong body armor or not in the line of duty!
We supplement our SGLI with AAFMAA (also for military so there is no war clause, where other insurances would not pay out if you die while deployed since it was a known risk). For the equal $400K it is only $19/month. Maybe something to look into to replace or supplement your SGLI.

posted Hide Post
Yes, if the soldier pays his/her SGLI premiums the soldier is covered, even in the case of suicide or recklessness. What I was explaining previously is that there are OTHER military benefits, such as SBP, that can be affected if the soldier's death is found "Not in the Line of Duty".

posted Hide Post
Oh, and that tid-bit of knowledge about AAFMAA is good to know. Thanks for sharing!

posted Hide Post
http://www.apd.army.mil/jw2/xmldemo/r600_8_1/head.asp

Ok, according to the website above:

There are two sections that cover termination and forfeiture of coverage. The list includes everything you would expect. No funny business: these are serious reasons to not allow SGLI.

These are NOT reasons: Not wearing a seatbelt, drunk driving or suicide.
These ARE reasons: AWOL, court-martial, arrest, mutiny, treason, spying, desertion, conscientious objectors, or receiving punishment from the law for a crime (still pays out for enemy "capital punishments"). Keep in mind each case is different and not always clear cut. For example, a Soldier suffering from long documented PTSD who goes AWOL.

So what's the big deal with the LINE OF DUTY "NO?"
http://militarypay.defense.gov.../SR15_Chapter_12.pdf

There are a lot of benefits that your survivors are eligible for with a LINE OF DUTY "YES." Again, every case is different, but many require a death/disability in the line of duty.
Here are a few examples:
Immediate Income Assistance - death gratuity, burial benefits, social security lump-sum payment,
Transition Assistance - can include counseling, TRICARE, BAH
Income replacement - AKA Survivors Benefit Plan - Payment to survivor (spouse and/or child)

To tell you the truth about line of duty investigations, if you do something stupid, you are essentially putting your survivors' future in the hands of another person. That person, the investigating officer, is given a set of guidelines, but it ultimately left up to decide on their own "yes" or "no." Would you say that drunk driving is for sure a line of duty "no?" Maybe you can, but the next person can't. I think about this every time I want to get adventurous mischief.

posted Hide Post
Welcome to the forums chemohill. Just FYI, this thread was started 6 years ago and last replyed to 2 years ago. It is generally considered bad form to bring back dead threads. If you have a question related to it you may consider starting a new thread and if need by reference back to the original posting.

CW3 Troy Ward
NETOPS OCT
Bronco 30E
National Training Center, Fort Irwin, CA

Are you a signal warrant officer? http://www.signal-chief.com/

Posts: 609 | Location: National Training Center, Fort Irwin, CA | Registered: 26 October 2005Report This Post