ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  General Community Discussion  Hop To Forums  Deployment Discussion    Dual Military due to deploy at the same time with children
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dual Military due to deploy at the same time with children
 Login/Join

posted
Does anyone know what the allowances/entitlements are for household goods being stored while deployed for dual military with children? and we have a FCP for our children, but now im hearing that we will have to pay for storage out of pocket for the deployment and if we choose the army to pay for the storage we will lose our BAH? is this true? and my add-in is that we are both deploying, but will not be together, have to maintain a household for our children and now if we choose to store our household goods out of necessity we lose our BAH? can that be right? please if you know what the regulation is please inform me because i am so confused! help! (i am considering getting out because it just doesnt seem worth it.( ps. im the mom)

Posts: 1 | Location: Fort Knox, KY | Registered: 29 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of sysalis
posted Hide Post
When I was deployed, EVERYONE in my unit (regardless whether or not they were single or married or lived in the barracks, housing, or off post) received BAH for the base we deployed out of, Fort Bragg.

I don't see why you would lose your BAH if the army still pays BAH to those deployed.

"The most dangerous thing in the world is a second lieutenant with a map and a compass."
-Murphy's Law of Combat

Posts: 700 | Location: USAG-Daegu, South Korea | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of EODbot
posted Hide Post
someone is telling you bogus info. A single parent in training still gets BAH. It is to maintain living quarters for dependents and your children are your dependents. Check out the DOD Financial Management Regulation as it is a little easier to understand when it comes to the explanation of some entitlements.

Posts: 165 | Registered: 14 April 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of CrisTama
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sysalis:
When I was deployed, EVERYONE in my unit (regardless whether or not they were single or married or lived in the barracks, housing, or off post) received BAH for the base we deployed out of, Fort Bragg.

I don't see why you would lose your BAH if the army still pays BAH to those deployed.

Same thing with my unit out of Ft. Campbell. But i think that is up to the Commander( BN or BG depends if you deploy as a Battalion or as a Brigade), so that might not be everywhere.

Posts: 645 | Location: All over the world | Registered: 03 August 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of EX-BUDGETNCO
posted Hide Post
That is absolutely incorrect and whoever told you that is misinformed. My spouse and I are dual military and deployed at the same time a few years ago. I took our orders to the transportation office and scheduled the appt. to have our household goods picked up and placed in storage. My child went to live with my sister during the deployment, my BAH was never touched.

SN: The reg for BAH is no longer the DoD Financial Management Regulation it is the JFTR

@ CrisTama, it is not up to the Commander, if you have dependents by regulation you are entitled to BAH even if you are deployed.

Posts: 168 | Location: Wherever The Army Sends Me | Registered: 01 August 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of EODbot
posted Hide Post
EX-budgetssg is right. It is the Joint Federal Travel Regulation and it defines dependents in chapter 10 part B and who is entitled to BAH at chapter 10 part A

Picture of CrisTama
posted Hide Post
quote:
CrisTama, it is not up to the Commander, if you have dependents by regulation you are entitled to BAH even if you are deployed.

Did you even see my Quote!?!?!?!
I was saying that it might be the at the CO's discretion if everybody will get BHA, no matter if they have dependents or not, and live in barracks or not(while deployed). Yes if you have dependents, you are entitle to BHA, but the ones who don't have dependents and live on post, can get BHA while deployed, IF the CO wants that.
You might want to read the post more carefully before answere.

Posts: 645 | Location: All over the world | Registered: 03 August 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of EODbot
posted Hide Post
Actually CrisTama, pretty sure your commander helped you commit BAH fraud.

Picture of MP Casper
posted Hide Post
This is not necessarily fraud. A commander can authorize BAH for a single soldier. I have seen it happen many times. Most commonly it is done when the barracks are at 90% capacity and BAH was authorized to E-5 and above living in the barracks. We have several single soldiers in my unit right now who are LEGALLY getting BAH. Another reason for giving BAH to single soldiers is the job they hold. I have seen some units authorize BAH because they didn't want the MP having to possibly nail a roommate or neighbor and then have to worry about retaliation. CID agents have been authorized BAH when single because it keeps their face from being known on post. This is just a few of the reasons I have seen.

Posts: 155 | Location: West Point, NY | Registered: 08 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of ArmyWife~N~Soldier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EX-BUDGETSSG:
That is absolutely incorrect and whoever told you that is misinformed. My spouse and I are dual military and deployed at the same time a few years ago. I took our orders to the transportation office and scheduled the appt. to have our household goods picked up and placed in storage. My child went to live with my sister during the deployment, my BAH was never touched.

SN: The reg for BAH is no longer the DoD Financial Management Regulation it is the JFTR

@ CrisTama, it is not up to the Commander, if you have dependents by regulation you are entitled to BAH even if you are deployed.

My husband and I are also deploying together next year, and we are planning to get out of our lease when we get our orders and put our stuff in storage as well. Did the Army pay for the storage?

Posts: 755 | Location: Fort Carson, CO | Registered: 12 March 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of EX-BUDGETNCO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArmyWife~N~Soldier:
quote:
Originally posted by EX-BUDGETSSG:

My husband and I are also deploying together next year, and we are planning to get out of our lease when we get our orders and put our stuff in storage as well. Did the Army pay for the storage?

Yes they paid for it.

Posts: 168 | Location: Wherever The Army Sends Me | Registered: 01 August 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of EODbot
posted Hide Post
MP Casper in those cases that is true, you can get BAH, but if you deploy they need to stop it as you are now staying in government furnished quarters.