ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  General Community Discussion  Hop To Forums  Deployment Discussion    How do I volunteer for deployment?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do I volunteer for deployment?
 Login/Join

<That325iGetsDown>
posted
For some reason, God only knows why, I have not been deployed yet. When my National Guard unit went, I had not been to Basic yet, and when my Active Duty unit went I was pregnant. I really want to do my turn over there, but I have been on a Compassionate for my baby for the past year. The Compassionate was expired on the 1st of this year, but for some reason they have not picked me up yet. I am a 63B, mechanic, and I want to go. How can I volunteer? I'd rather not go through the unit b/c my husband is in this unit too and he will not understand if I volunteer. Thanks for any information!

SPC B

Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of SSG Prophet
posted Hide Post
If you are going to volunteer to deploy and there is family involved, you should be talking with your husband FIRST, not giving him and after-the-fact "oh hey, I'm getting deployed, the kid's all yours for a year".

Deployments affect the family more than they affect you personally, so keep that in consideration.

After you've hashed it out with your husband, then go talk to your unit and volunteer. That might get you bumped up to a higher spot on the OML.

Posts: 345 | Location: Ft. Meade, MD | Registered: 08 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<That325iGetsDown>
posted
SSG P-
We are both enlisted so we have both always known there was a possibility. He would be fine if I was deployed, but he would not understand why I CHOOSE to. Our son's medical problems have been over for some time now, and my husband handles him very well. I do not think he would have an issue with that, but he wouldn't understand that I asked to go, just like I wouldn't understand if he did.

The unit that we are in is not a normal unit, it is HHC Special Activities, mainly for compassionate reassignment soldiers who need to be near Walter Reed. Soldiers are mostly snatched up at random and attached to units who are leaving. We are not a TOE unit.

Picture of SSG Prophet
posted Hide Post
Well, that makes a bit more sense.

I'd like to think that if my wife chose to deploy she'd give me some notice so I could get my ducks in a row with regard to my daughter before she leaves. I replied with the perspective of a dual-military husband, and I hope I didn't offend or discourage you from pursuing your career the way you see fit.

From an Army perspective, it'd still probably be easier to get attached to a unit that's leaving if you go through the unit you are currently assigned to.

I'm currently in a unit that doesn't deploy as a unit at all. We have a wartime mission in the states, and can volunteer for deployments. If there are no volunteers, people are picked from an OML based on previous deployments (or lack thereof), dwell time, and time in service.

The only other option, if your son's issues have been completely resolved, is to attempt to get restationed elsewhere (along with your husband, if you're enrolled in MACP).

You could do this as a reenlistment option, a 4187, by updating your Assignment Satisfaction Key (slowest method, IMO), or by contacting your branch manager.

Posts: 345 | Location: Ft. Meade, MD | Registered: 08 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<That325iGetsDown>
posted
SSG P-
I have been trying to get us restationed for the longest. My son is EFMP now though, and his doctor requested that he stay in the area until November so he can keep an eye on him. My husband has always kind of known that I wanted to go. My little brother has already been, and I have been in twice as long as he has. I just feel like I'm not doing my part. Also, I cannot stay put for a long time, I have to be moving around that is one of the reasons why I joined. I'd really just like the experience before I get promoted to E-5, I feel like it can help me be a better leader.

As far as my husband goes, he will probably welcome some time w/out me...lol. But I will definately discuss it with him if it looks like it might be a possibility. I found out from an NCO in the unit who to contact so I am on my way to getting some information. Thanks though,

SPC B