New
Find
Notify
Tools

Should I?
 Login/Join

Picture of ghastlygeezer
posted
I have the opportunity to volunteer to deploy to Kuwait soon. But I am unsure if it is worth it. Any opinions?

Posts: 11 | Location: Fort Carson | Registered: 24 October 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of CrisTama
posted Hide Post
Depends on what you are looking for.

Posts: 665 | Location: All over the world | Registered: 03 August 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of ghastlygeezer
posted Hide Post
Really not much. Just wandering if it is worth being away from my family for 9 months. The extra pay isn't all that great anymore. To my understanding is all you get now is family separation pay.

Posts: 11 | Location: Fort Carson | Registered: 24 October 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of ghastlygeezer
posted Hide Post
Also do they take your BAS while in Kuwait?

Picture of CrisTama
posted Hide Post
You are right, you get family separation pay, but no more combat pay. You probably get hazardous pay, and I believe you also get your BAS. I am not sure if that dependes of your MOS or not...I got BAS the entire time I was deployed, but I also get that back home because of my MOS that requires weird hours.

As you see, the pay is not that much. If you have dependents it might not worth it because you will still have bills to pay back home. If you were single, that is a different story...you could have saved some money since you shouldn't have to pay bills at home.

Posts: 665 | Location: All over the world | Registered: 03 August 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
If you have a re-enlistment that you can nail downrange it easily could be worth it.

Bonuses are taxed HEAVY....to the tune of about 28%.

All your money overseas is tax exempt.

Posts: 2619 | Registered: 08 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post