New
Find
Notify
Tools
Men Hair Standards in BCT
 Login/Join

posted
Are mustaches actually worn/allowed?
What is the regulated hair length at entry or throughout BCT/AIT?

Thanks!

posted Hide Post
I know in the Army you can have a neatley trimmed mustache, not sure about basic. Wouldn't risk it though even if it is allowed, never know about Drill Sergeants. And you get to have a "bur" haircut through basic, which you get to pay for at reception battallion.

Haven't been through basic myself but thats info I got from my recruiters. Hope that helps. Gig 'Em!

Posts: 253 | Location: College Station, TX | Registered: 30 October 2003Report This Post

posted Hide Post
I beleive that during basic you are required to stay clean shaven. You will get your head shaved when you arrive (it will turn into a "bur" hair cut in a few weeks! :shock: )

After IET (basic and AIT) you will be required to stay within Army regualtions with your hair an mustache.

Posts: 121 | Location: Ft. Livingroom | Registered: 23 August 2003Report This Post

posted Hide Post
I have never seen an IET soldier with a mustache. Even if you could have one, I wouldn't risk it because that is just more to worry about / get dropped for.

Posts: 137 | Location: CONUS | Registered: 19 August 2003Report This Post

posted Hide Post
[quote:6a68b463fb="Miranda"]You will get your head shaved when you arrive (it will turn into a "bur" hair cut in a few weeks! :shock: )[/quote:6a68b463fb]

wooo, haven't had one of those in a while!! I feel for the guys up north for basic during the winter!! :lol:

Posts: 253 | Location: College Station, TX | Registered: 30 October 2003Report This Post

posted Hide Post
I already shave my head - will they let me keep doing that in basic or do I HAVE to let it grow back out like the rest of my platoon (probably will have to)?

posted Hide Post
what the hell is a bur haircut? We had to keep our heads shaved all the way through basic? But by the sound of "bur" I think i was better off with a shaved head than some half-a$$ attempt at a hair style.

Posts: 304 | Location: Camp Slayer, Iraq | Registered: 09 December 2003Report This Post

posted Hide Post
Hair cuts every week, usually on sunday in BCT...no facial hair at all in BCT/AIT (for 91W) and they will NOT allow you to shave your head yourself in BCT... we had a few try it with thier razors...not a pretty aftermath, but remember its only 2.5 months, so suck it up and "drive on" soldier!

As for AIT, the haircuts were up to us to get on our "free" time, but make sure it is cut SHORT every week, even though the Army standards are a bit longer, remember, your unit can add to the regs, but not take away...To simplify, they can require shorter hair than the Army regs, but not allow longer hair

Posts: 15 | Location: Ft. Campbell, Ky (Air Assault!) | Registered: 16 February 2004Report This Post

posted Hide Post
[quote:ca6a4c7bac="SSG_K"]I have never seen an IET soldier with a mustache. Even if you could have one, I wouldn't risk it because that is just more to worry about / get dropped for.[/quote:ca6a4c7bac]

You've never been to DLI Wink

posted Hide Post
During BCT you will not wear a mustache and you will get a hair cut every couple of weeks, usually about every two or three weeks depending on when the company XO( 2nd LT. over paid private) scheduled the haircuts during lock in , that is the training schedule..

Posts: 8 | Location: Ft.Jackson, SC. and Hickory NC | Registered: 16 February 2004Report This Post

posted Hide Post
Does AR 670-1 dictate seperately for IET? Why is it that DS force soldiers into bald-headedness if previous standing haircut is IAW 670-1? I know it is probably just a mind thing to get rid of all their hair, but a soldier wouldn't [i:7973f1d5a0]technically[/i:7973f1d5a0] be wrong if they refused to shave their head all the way, would they? What do ya'll think?

Posts: 32 | Location: Ft. Hood | Registered: 27 January 2004Report This Post

Picture of LT
posted Hide Post
They probably do for a few reasons. 1 I think being uniformity. 2 maybe for control. Who knows. I didn't have that problem hehe

Posts: 123 | Location: The Place Where Your Career Ends, KS | Registered: 08 January 2004Report This Post

posted Hide Post
the hair regs are not specified for iets as far as i know, so i guess [i:ed7ee8bfa7]technically [/i:ed7ee8bfa7]they wouldn't be wrong, but remember, a unit can always make a reg MORE strict, just not less. whatever the commander or 1st Sgt says, goes. plus, for bct, it is a uniformity/morale thing, plus a hygiene thing as well.

Posts: 27 | Location: FT WAINWRIGHT ALASKA | Registered: 29 January 2004Report This Post

posted Hide Post
[quote:dbd5a28a12="Drillsarge72"]During BCT you will not wear a mustache and you will get a hair cut every couple of weeks, usually about every two or three weeks depending on when the company XO( 2nd LT. over paid private) scheduled the haircuts during lock in , that is the training schedule..[/quote:dbd5a28a12]

I thought over paid private were called SPC's.

Posts: 196 | Location: CONUS | Registered: 19 January 2004Report This Post

posted Hide Post
[quote:7185bccff7="lonewolf_74B10"][quote:7185bccff7="Drillsarge72"]During BCT you will not wear a mustache and you will get a hair cut every couple of weeks, usually about every two or three weeks depending on when the company XO( 2nd LT. over paid private) scheduled the haircuts during lock in , that is the training schedule..[/quote:7185bccff7]

I thought over paid private were called SPC's.[/quote:7185bccff7]

well... atleast a SPC has been around for a while... (unless they're just college grads)