New
Find
Notify
Tools

questions?????
 Login/Join

Picture of mommy-n-soldier2010
posted Hide Post
I understand what you were saying which is why I decided to change my profile name image is everything and Im not trying to put myself out there like that. But the information that I have been provided is very helpful and I am hoping that I have the mentality to become a soldier at all costs.Im not too fond of the military but I do know somethings which I think will help me out in the long run.But one question that I do have is is it necessary to take have the additional training that is giving in california I guess its like a language course?????

Posts: 9 | Location: NORTH CAROLINA | Registered: 06 September 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TransAm95NCO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Interrogator:
quote:
Originally posted by SFC W:
If you want respect or to be taken seriously, don't come up with names like sexy army whatever to use on a military board.
I agree 100%. Absolutely retarded, and even the spelling looks awfully juvenile for someone that is married with 3 kids.

Really there should be a forum rule that you cannot rag on peoples username or their spelling, we are not here for that...yall take that too seriously...not to mention even if there is a rule abuot that, its not up to you to bring it up, thats what moderators are for.

Lead by Example!!!

Posts: 3914 | Location: Somewhere in the US | Registered: 13 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of MSG W
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickboy:
Dang fellas she just wanted some advice on what she is getting into.

Which is why I'm giving the advice that I gave. As a woman, you need to be taken seriously to be successful in the Army. Being the "sexy" girl isn't the best way to do that. (Because I haven't read crap like this for the past 13 years.)

At least give yourself the respect you expect everyone else to give you. If you don't present yourself as a professional, people won't treat you like one.

Posts: 404 | Location: Ft. Lewis, WA | Registered: 30 May 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TransAm95NCO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Interrogator:
quote:
Originally posted by stickboy:
Dang fellas she just wanted some advice on what she is getting into.
Whether this is an Army sanctioned board or not, it's hard to take someone seriously that calls themselves "sexy_ladi". Would you walk around work telling people to call you sexy? In my experience, when a woman joins a message board and calls herself sexy, she is usually just craving attention...

oh give it a break, I dont go around telling me people to call me "SGT Trans Am" and I dont think you go around telling people to call you "SFC The Interrogator", right? so whats the problem with her saying "sexy lady"?? nothing...

Lead by Example!!!

Posts: 3914 | Location: Somewhere in the US | Registered: 13 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of 35 Series
posted Hide Post
/shrug

Two senior NCOs just told her that it seemed silly. She apparently agreed enough to change her screen name, so she gets points in my book.

It's about time to swap back over to my older username anyhow.

Anyhow, it's a public message board, we were just telling her how it came across...as silly. Like I said, points in my book for her realizing that it seems a bit of an odd username to choose for an Army board and changing it.

"an Army Linguist" - Resources and more about being an Army linguist

Posts: 2327 | Location: CONUS | Registered: 30 October 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I didn't see the name originally, but yes, if you present yourself in a certain way, you will face repercussions.

This board is intended for soldiers, future soldiers, family and veterans. As a general rule for myself personally, if it were a board where I discuss my career, I would err on the side of conservative. As in the Army, if you put out that "look at me, look at me, I'm sexy" vibe, people aren't going to take you seriously. In my training, the soldiers that got the most respect were the ones that didn't walk around wearing makeup all the time and were flirty.

Same thing when you go to basic...you get what you put out. If you are a hard worker that keeps your nose clean, you will get the respect of your peers and not be "That Guy".

If you are the soldier that shows weakness, you will be made an example.

I give this advice to everyone...it's not just for basic, but in life: don't ever let them see you cry. If you need to cry, do it in the shower, then you drive on.

Posts: 458 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 08 September 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of AutobahnSHO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mommy-n-soldier2010:
But one question that I do have is is it necessary to take have the additional training that is giving in california I guess its like a language course?????

Why wouldn't you want to go live in Beautiful California (near the bay) while the government pays your rent? Smiler

The Army will pay to move you and the family, if your language there is long enough.

(I dunno if you have to go to "Defense Language Institute" (DLI) or not. I'd like to go someday.)

Be Proud of what you do- and do it Well! ~me

Posts: 5284 | Location: Ft Gordon (Again!!!) :-| | Registered: 22 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mommy-n-soldier2010:
But one question that I do have is is it necessary to take have the additional training that is giving in california I guess its like a language course?????

If they offer it, TAKE IT. Monterey is GORGEOUS. Lots of stuff to do, lots of breathtaking sights.

I'm a bit biased, though...I vacationed in SF almost 4 years ago and ended up staying Smiler

Posts: 458 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 08 September 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of 35 Series
posted Hide Post
Doubt they will offer that...language training (unless there is a milper message I haven't seen yet) is still not necessary for 35Ms anymore.

"an Army Linguist" - Resources and more about being an Army linguist

Posts: 2327 | Location: CONUS | Registered: 30 October 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post