Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

BCT FT Benning 20100405
 Login/Join

posted
Headed to Georgia May 4th before heading to Huachuca for 15w which i ended up lucking into. (went to MEPS for 19k and ended up being too tall)

Anyone have any tips for me about Georgia or heading there at the same time?. My 0-1 friend went through there before heading to EOD training but she was pretty vague other than the weather, chiggers, and hand sized spiders suck haha.

Posts: 275 | Registered: 17 February 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
May time frame thats a great time to go for basic training not too hot not too cold but great weather. I went to Benning in 2005 in september and it was hot as hades. But Ft. benning is a great place to train better then some of the others.

Posts: 28 | Location: Ft. Huachuca, AZ | Registered: 16 February 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Yea, i count myself fairly lucky. My friend went through around the same time you did and she said hated the weather. I say fairly lucky because i was actually suppose to be at FT Jackson Feb. 2nd but due to my flight physical being planned late and protein in my pee test (after having not had anything to eat for like 16 hours ugh) i had to reno my contract and got Benning. It's not a big deal though, training is training and the only difference is i'll work out harder which only helps in the long run.

Picture of Infantry4life
posted Hide Post
I'd have to say that May is ok to go, but it's still going to be hotter that h*ll there. Because it's not like your going to show up and be there for only May, you'll hit June and July too. Yes the chiggers and big spiders suck, but so does everything else. I don't know what the new training is like, but we did road marches everywhere, always taking the long routes. Don't have much time to change after PT for breakfast. To me it was my worst time in the Army, but looking back it don't seem so bad. It's one of those things, hate it when your there then after your gone, kinda liking it.

Trust me, I'm a Recruiter!

Posts: 169 | Location: USAREC Dearborn | Registered: 04 February 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
The weather is like Sac in the summer, but a more humid.

It will not be as bad as going in July or August. That is when the South is unbearable.

Good luck!

Posts: 458 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 08 September 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thats what i wanted to hear, your worst time in the army haha. I can deal with the running and everything else, i may not particularly like it but i'll get it done. The hand sized spiders, if it was allowed i'd put an M16 round into every one of them i saw. Oh and yeah the road marches are still there.

Thanks for the well wishes.

posted Hide Post
anyone going to Fort Benning May 3rd for 11x also does anyone have any information about the the track for the two mile runs (shape of the track,what kinda of surface.)

Posts: 3 | Location: tallahassee/dallas | Registered: 25 March 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of SSG. T
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PFC Kevin Anderson:
Thats what i wanted to hear, your worst time in the army haha. I can deal with the running and everything else, i may not particularly like it but i'll get it done. The hand sized spiders, if it was allowed i'd put an M16 round into every one of them i saw. Oh and yeah the road marches are still there.

You're lucky enough to be coming into the nicer, kinder Army. You'll get to drink poweraid and perhaps even have a day to go to the MWR facility and have pizza and candy. However Ft.Benning is God's way for reminding you that there really is such a place as hell, and the big orange ball in the sky takes every opportunity to pour two scoops of "suck" on every soul in BCT at that God forsaken post. It really doesn't matter what time of year you go; the winter will kick your ass, and freeze you and your canteen solid, the summer will bake everything within a 50 mile radius, there's really no gray area, you will either be miserably hot, or miserably cold. BCT at Ft.Benning is one of those experiences that you come out of thinking, "Being a POW wouldn't be so bad compared to this". I look back on it now and laugh, but I'd never want to do it again. The best part about it, was afterward you are certain that there is no one on the face of the earth that could beat you in a fist fight, and for the most part it's true. You go through so much agony during BCT, that you could take a kick in the sternum from a mule and it would tickle, lol. In all seriousness, it will suck, but you'll be head and shoulders above your peers in AIT for the experience. You'll be way more disciplined and just plain better than them in every way.

Posts: 580 | Registered: 29 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
For the guys that have been through OSUT for 11x how many pounds did you have to carry for the road march.

Posts: 3 | Location: tallahassee/dallas | Registered: 25 March 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SGT. T:
You're lucky enough to be coming into the nicer, kinder Army. You'll get to drink poweraid and perhaps even have a day to go to the MWR facility and have pizza and candy. However Ft.Benning is God's way for reminding you that there really is such a place as hell, and the big orange ball in the sky takes every opportunity to pour two scoops of "suck" on every soul in BCT at that God forsaken post. It really doesn't matter what time of year you go; the winter will kick your ass, and freeze you and your canteen solid, the summer will bake everything within a 50 mile radius, there's really no gray area, you will either be miserably hot, or miserably cold. BCT at Ft.Benning is one of those experiences that you come out of thinking, "Being a POW wouldn't be so bad compared to this". I look back on it now and laugh, but I'd never want to do it again. The best part about it, was afterward you are certain that there is no one on the face of the earth that could beat you in a fist fight, and for the most part it's true. You go through so much agony during BCT, that you could take a kick in the sternum from a mule and it would tickle, lol. In all seriousness, it will suck, but you'll be head and shoulders above your peers in AIT for the experience. You'll be way more disciplined and just plain better than them in every way.

Haha i'll take whatever hellish time at BCT I get. At this point I just want to do it and get it over with so I can move onto AIT and get that done. 9 Months DEP at this point in time can do that though i suppose. I'm not going when Georgia will be at it's worst so theres some small gratitude to be had and at the end of the day it's just 9 weeks of my life. I'll take rough weather over fluorescent lighting any day of the week.

posted Hide Post
anyone going to basic OSUT fort benning may 3rd

Picture of SGT Bowman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SGT. T:
quote:
Originally posted by PFC Kevin Anderson:

Nice synopsus and I agree with your statement! I went to Ft. Benning from Aug-Oct 2004. When I first got there, it was hot, but then cooled off a little in Oct, but not by much. It's like you said, sucks when you are there, but when you look back at it you laugh a little. And there is no way I would want to go back to that place, as I was glad to graduate and wave goodbye while on the bus watching sand hill get smaller and smaller!

Posts: 21 | Registered: 11 May 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of AutobahnSHO
posted Hide Post
Congrats on finding a 3 year old thread!

Sorry, there's no prize.... Wink

Be Proud of what you do- and do it Well! ~me

Posts: 5284 | Location: Ft Gordon (Again!!!) :-| | Registered: 22 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of SGT Bowman
posted Hide Post
I was told there would be a prize...!

On a side note, most of the posts I read on here are ancent, so I thought I might be able to revive some of them. Again, just posting my experience for someone else that might read this now 3yr old post!!

Posts: 21 | Registered: 11 May 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post