ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Joining the Army, BCT and AIT  Hop To Forums  Basic Combat Training    Lasik corrective surgery before Basic Training
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lasik corrective surgery before Basic Training
 Login/Join

posted
I wear contact lenses, especially during physical activities. Everything I have read in these forums says that contacts are not really allowed in the ARMY. I have already been to MEPS so my need for corrective vision is on record.

I have another 5 months before I ship to Basic Training. If I have laser eye surgery several months before shipping to Basic will it affect anything?

thanks in advance.

Posts: 3 | Location: Austin, Tx | Registered: 23 October 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of EODbot
posted Hide Post
Are you going to pay for surgery just so you don't have to wear glasses? Do you realize after AIT the Army will pay for the surgery for you?

Posts: 167 | Registered: 14 April 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
it was only a thought. I prefer not to wear glasses during physical activity but if LASIK is something that the ARMY will pay for then I can wait.

Would that be covered under the ARMY's vision plan? and how much is covered?

thanks.

Posts: 3 | Location: Austin, Tx | Registered: 23 October 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of EODbot
posted Hide Post
100% paid for if you qualify medically.

posted Hide Post
i have to ask...what do you mean by 'medically qualify'?

Picture of EODbot
posted Hide Post
They will check your eyeballs and make sure your eyes and the problems with your eyes can be fixed by the surgery. Not everyone's eyesight can be fixed.

posted Hide Post
i recently just went to my 1 yr anniversary appointment of getting lasik. All you need to do after AIT is go down to vision and schedule a comprehensive eye exam to make sure you are a good candidate for Lasik or PRK. (another type of vision correction) From there they will let you know whether you are good to go or not. if you are, they will most likely ask if you want to be part of a study. I opted to go for the study. it pushed my surgery date up from 3 months to 1.5 weeks! the doctors were awesome, the surgery was quick (under 15 minutes) and painless. i walked in wearing glasses and the next day seeing great! its definetly worth it. plus its 100% free.

What if the hokey pokey really IS what it's all about?...

Posts: 7 | Location: Ft Hood, TX | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of 11B32B
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by readiness:
i have to ask...what do you mean by 'medically qualify'?

I did PRK ( an eye surgery that keeps you available for airborne operations, where LASIK hindered you ) at Walter Reed when I got home from Iraq, it was one of the best things I've done in my life!

Get the glasses and a new exam ( as if you have a choice ) when you go through reception before BCT. Make sure you go to your civilian doctor and get a copy of your old eye exam before you go, keep it on file. Request a copy of the military eye exam for your record, I forget if they give it to you automatically in your packet or not.

When you graduate BCT and AIT, DONT WEAR CONTACTS AGAIN! I had to post pone my PRK eye surgery because I was wearing contacts, and I beleive it's 90 days prior to your initial exam for PRK qualification that your restricted from wearing contacts ( and they can tell if you did, it leaves an imprint of some sort on your eye they can see and impedes the surgery the doc told me ).

They want you to have atleast 2 past eye exams and an intial to ensure you qualify, now, this might have changed since I got my surgery as it's been a few years.

I'd give you more details about the surgery, but you have a long time before your even eligible!

Just suck it up and wear the Birth Control Glasses or the Combat Eye Protection with Corrective inserts they give you at Basic!

PS alot of people I know wore contacts in Iraq and here in Afghanistan, it's the wrong answer in our line of buis. I don't suggest you break the rules.

Good luck future Soldier!

Posts: 442 | Location: Europe | Registered: 21 February 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Some people thing that the surgeries are very complicated thing because they don't have the idea about the correct procedures and all.Generally for each and every surgery their will be some procedures and that we need to follow.If we have an idea on lasik surgery like what are the cost details,procedures,complications,side effects and etc..,that would be better for us.

Posts: 4 | Registered: 09 May 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Are this surgeries harmful?Does it contain any side effects or allergies.

Posts: 1 | Location: 677 S Main St, Cheshire, | Registered: 20 May 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I had the LASIK done, and the procedure is very simple. The only real side effect is even with the surgery, you may need glasses to read once you hit about 40.

As for harmful, it depends on what you mean. After my surgery my eyes stayed dialated for about 2 days, and I had to wear sunglasses (even indoors) for about two, maybe three weeks. I still see starbursts around lights at night, and I usually wear sunglasses on cloudy days because the UV hurts my eyes. But considering I was 20/40 in one eye and 20/400 in the other before the surgery, and 20/20 in one eye and 20/30 in the other after the surgery, I would say it's worth it.

Allergies or any other side effects would really depend on the person ... different people's bodies will react in different ways. Overall though, there are no known harmful side effects.

Military Signature
Create your Profile at MyArmedForces.com

There is no task that is impossible, as long as you don't care who gets the credit.

Posts: 1484 | Location: Joint Base Lewis-McChord, WA | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sheril:

No not like that,these surgeries are not harmful but best,the thing is if you wanted to do any surgery before that if we have an idea on these things then it would be safe for us that's it.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sheril:

Yes,In some situations it may cause some allergies,but if you follow the correct instructions then it will be safe and better.

posted Hide Post
Their are so many instructions and procedures that we need to follow before the surgery and also after the surgery.

Picture of AutobahnSHO
posted Hide Post
sonyric is apparently a spammer.

Be Proud of what you do- and do it Well! ~me

Posts: 5328 | Location: Ft Gordon (Again!!!) :-| | Registered: 22 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post