Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

OSUT for Prior Service?
 Login/Join

posted
Hey all, wondering if anyone who has experience going through OSUT as a prior service member. I just signed a contract that requires me to re-attend basic training, although this time as an 11 series.

I have no complaints really, I can't really see the harm in getting all the skill level 1's done again.

From what I understand, there is a seamless transition between basic and "ait", correct? Also, no patches/badges are worn during OSUT? I'm all about blending in, so this works out alright for me if it's true.

So basically, has anyone gone through as prior service recently? Any new guys gone through with prior service in your company? What's it like?

Posts: 3 | Registered: 18 December 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Bro I just graduated from 11B Osut as PS yesterday. Complete Joke. Training as you knew it (depending how long ago you came in) is completley different, more soft. We didn't have any special privelages, and we couldn't wear any patches per BN CSM due to the fact that alot of us were more decorated than his Drills. It was a pain in the ass to deal with alot of the IET guys, and alot of the PS had to take rank reduction coming back in, so that was like a kick to the groin. Good luck

Posts: 21 | Location: California | Registered: 18 December 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Exactly what I was looking for, thanks bro. Did you at least graduate in Class A's / all your "bling"? I went through BCT in early '03, so really not that long ago. Glad to know I probably won't be the only PS guy there too.

Did you and the rest of the PS get tossed into leadership roles more often? Or were you purposely kept in the back to give the new guys a chance?

posted Hide Post
Yeah alot of the PS were doing leadership roles. Couple d-bags that were acting like privates got pushed in the back (as far as leadership roles went). On 'family day' everyone wore their 'flare'. I went through early '06 and it was almost night and day difference. When are you going through? Did you lose any rank?

Posts: 21 | Location: California | Registered: 18 December 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I'm going through in April of next year. Crazy that 3 years is a night/day difference. I'm not losing any rank (e4), so that's a big plus too. It's also good to see that they seem to at least acknowledge prior service... I don't mind leadership.

Picture of SGT Bowman
posted Hide Post
I know this is a bit late in the game, but I went to Ft. Benning in 2004 and there was one guy in another PLT that was prior service and was a CPL I believe and had already gone through jump school. He told us that he was only supposed to be doing a 2-week refresher course because he had been out for 5yrs, but that was not the case. He apparently went to the 1SG and was told hey, your already here, so.... he was stuck there for the duration of 9-week BCT. Again, he was not in my PLT, but as stated above, he was the PLT guide pretty much all of BCT for his PLT.

Posts: 21 | Registered: 11 May 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of AutobahnSHO
posted Hide Post
Really? 4 years ago???

Be Proud of what you do- and do it Well! ~me

Posts: 5284 | Location: Ft Gordon (Again!!!) :-| | Registered: 22 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of SGT Bowman
posted Hide Post
haha...I know!!

Picture of SGT Bowman
posted Hide Post
But I didn't intend the post for the OP, but more so if someone else reads this topic. I was just throwing in my 2 cents as an example of the same type of situation for anyone else to read.

posted Hide Post
Stop bumping 4 year old posts and giving advice that no one has asked for. If you want to contribute then do so with new threads.

Posts: 275 | Registered: 17 February 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of SGT Bowman
posted Hide Post
Really...didn't you just bump this thread with your response. On a side note, I didn't ask for you opinion about bumping a 4yr old post.

Picture of AutobahnSHO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SGT Bowman:
Really...didn't you just bump this thread with your response. On a side note, I didn't ask for you opinion about bumping a 4yr old post.

LOL Welcome to the forum. Thick skin helps.

Can't we all just get along?? (eyes your post was a little "unfriendly"..)

Be Proud of what you do- and do it Well! ~me

Posts: 5284 | Location: Ft Gordon (Again!!!) :-| | Registered: 22 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of SGT Bowman
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the welcome. I don't get offended easily, I just don't like when someone posts things like that, that are petty. In reality it's not a big deal, but some like to take little things and talk big.

If I feel I have something to contribute, even if 4-yrs old, it doesn't hurt to add to it. Someone else might be browsing the thread and find something informative, even if said response might be years later..haha If these threads were meant not to be replied to after a certain date, then they should be locked or removed. I can get along, as long as everyone else can.