ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  NCO Business  Hop To Forums  Recruiter Discussion    Uh oh...DA Selected
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Uh oh...DA Selected
 Login/Join

posted
Hey everyone just joined the forum and after reading numerous comments on this DA Select recruiting gig I had a few questions to ask the people WHO ARE/WERE DA SELECT (not signing up straight for recruiter).

Little backstory about myself.... I am a 92F SGT(P) and I just completed my third deployment with the 101st. A couple of months left on my last deployment I called branch to see if I could get Fort Hood and branch told me to drop my stabilization and they would *guarantee* me a slot to Hood. So low and behold I do this and the big green weenie strikes on my ASK with this recruiter nonsense.

Basically here's the deal.....been talking to a couple of people to get out of this bs assignment and the only choices I have are:

1. Fail a mental eval. Walk in and act crazy as hell.(Don't have a problem with this as I can act...false motivation is better than no motivation right?)
2. Say I am getting a divorce. (Because apparently that's the only way Big Army understands that "family time" is important.)
3. Sign a DEC statement (Don't want this option. Love the Army. Love my job. But the Army needs me....I don't need the Army (always had that mentality btw))

I am very experienced in my profession and I am fully aware that an NCO needs to adapt etc., etc., but I absolutely refuse to ride a desk for 3 years and not get promoted (unless I switch to the dark side) and not see my family (and then probably REALLY get divorced) and ruin my life because of this Blue Falcon Delivery Service (BFDS) branch has installed to screw good NCO's over.

Any pointers?

Posts: 7 | Location: Fort Campbell | Registered: 13 September 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TheWiseChief
posted Hide Post
I recently attended an BDE LDP where there was a retention speaker talking about the future drawdown. There were also high-ranking officers in the audience and they were giving info that was privvy to them from the Pentagon. And this portion of the LDP was directed to the CSMs/COs/1SGs in the audience.

Numbers are going to be lower than expected and force shaping is happening as I type this. The big takeaway is that if you do not take assignments (e.g. drill) to try to remain at a unit/duty station, failing PT (purposely or real) you will be "voting" (that was term that was used) yourself out for upward mobility.

I suggest (and I know you were asking for recruiters) that you move forward with "needs of the Army" and act accordingly with the stripes that you possess.

Posts: 1902 | Registered: 04 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
As much as I disliked Recruiting I still think it is better than pumping gas in the Army.

Posts: 2619 | Registered: 08 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chancex:
Hey everyone just joined the forum and after reading numerous comments on this DA Select recruiting gig I had a few questions to ask the people WHO ARE/WERE DA SELECT (not signing up straight for recruiter).

Little backstory about myself.... I am a 92F SGT(P) and I just completed my third deployment with the 101st. A couple of months left on my last deployment I called branch to see if I could get Fort Hood and branch told me to drop my stabilization and they would *guarantee* me a slot to Hood. So low and behold I do this and the big green weenie strikes on my ASK with this recruiter nonsense.

Basically here's the deal.....been talking to a couple of people to get out of this bs assignment and the only choices I have are:

1. Fail a mental eval. Walk in and act crazy as hell.(Don't have a problem with this as I can act...false motivation is better than no motivation right?)
2. Say I am getting a divorce. (Because apparently that's the only way Big Army understands that "family time" is important.)
3. Sign a DEC statement (Don't want this option. Love the Army. Love my job. But the Army needs me....I don't need the Army (always had that mentality btw))

I am very experienced in my profession and I am fully aware that an NCO needs to adapt etc., etc., but I absolutely refuse to ride a desk for 3 years and not get promoted (unless I switch to the dark side) and not see my family (and then probably REALLY get divorced) and ruin my life because of this Blue Falcon Delivery Service (BFDS) branch has installed to screw good NCO's over.

Any pointers?

WOW...you are an exceptional NCO..." NO ONE IS MORE PROFESSIONAL THAN YOU"

!!!! If you don't need the Army then get out and stop collecting a paycheck, there is no room for NCO's like you!!!!! Get out and let me know how things go for you and your family...

I am a detailed Recruiter and I want to know were you get your information from..

- Promotions stay the same, it doesn't change just because you are Recruiting. I have several 11B's that just made cut off for SSG and one 88N that made SFC...

- There are 9 NCO's in my center and they are all married with kids. They leave the center at around 1700-1800 and the weekends are off. We all have three or more deployments and this is the best break for our families.

- I rather ride the desk for three years than pump gas for one day...so you keep collecting a check since you are sooooooo experienced...

Posts: 68 | Registered: 04 June 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TheWiseChief:
I recently attended an BDE LDP where there was a retention speaker talking about the future drawdown. There were also high-ranking officers in the audience and they were giving info that was privvy to them from the Pentagon. And this portion of the LDP was directed to the CSMs/COs/1SGs in the audience.

Numbers are going to be lower than expected and force shaping is happening as I type this. The big takeaway is that if you do not take assignments (e.g. drill) to try to remain at a unit/duty station, failing PT (purposely or real) you will be "voting" (that was term that was used) yourself out for upward mobility.

I suggest (and I know you were asking for recruiters) that you move forward with "needs of the Army" and act accordingly with the stripes that you possess.

Well put Chief...He has a master plan that will ultimately fail...

Picture of TransAm95NCO
posted Hide Post
quote:

Any pointers?

Yeah seems like you got "screwed", welcome to the Army, little back story, I went to recruiting school as a SPC (volunteered), was sent back for not having my citizenship, my 1SG calls branch to tell them about my situation and not to put me on orders since I wante dto go back to school, I get orders to Korea, I come back from Korea, reenlist for stabilization (and my unit had a stabilization of 2 years), one year time on station I get DA select for recruiting as a SGT (non-P)...like a good Soldier (and NCO) I went and did my duty, became promotable, got promoted to SSG while in recruiting and I aback to my MOS.

To be honest, it is what you make of it, I had more fun out there than anywhere else in my career, you do not have to switch to get promoted, I saw my family more there than here in the operational Army. I think you are just pissed but if your attitude is like this all the time, its time to get out, the Army does NOT need you, you and the rest of us are a replaceable, trust me, you need to just go do your duty now as a SGT(P), you do NOT want to get out of it now, become a SFC and get DA select again as a SFC, now you have a SSG (who got there as a SGT, reclassed and got promoted) and now he is in charge of you on a daily basis..

Lead by Example!!!

Posts: 3914 | Location: Somewhere in the US | Registered: 13 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by holdda:
quote:

Any pointers?

!!!! If you don't need the Army then get out and stop collecting a paycheck, there is no room for NCO's like you!!!!! Get out and let me know how things go for you and your family...

I am a detailed Recruiter and I want to know were you get your information from..

- Promotions stay the same, it doesn't change just because you are Recruiting. I have several 11B's that just made cut off for SSG and one 88N that made SFC...

- There are 9 NCO's in my center and they are all married with kids. They leave the center at around 1700-1800 and the weekends are off. We all have three or more deployments and this is the best break for our families.

- I rather ride the desk for three years than pump gas for one day...so you keep collecting a check since you are sooooooo experienced...

quote:
quote:

Any pointers?

Whoa now looks like a struck a nerve with you....let me start off by stating that I posted the original comment to vent about being put in the position that I am currently in.... and I know that "riding a desk" might have offended you....but I am just calling it how I see it. I have no problem doing paperwork (and actually doing it right, not losing it like most S shops) but you must understand that if I wanted to be a paper pusher I would have signed up to be a 42A. I came in the Army to push fuel. I am proud of my job and IT IS a hell of a lot better than riding a desk. Sure it may be a little harder than some, but I believe the character of a leader should be judged by the callous on his hands and the sweat of his back. Ask any Soldier which is the better NCO. The one out there leading the way or the one who gives orders and goes back in the A/C. You cant lead Soldiers behind a coffee cup.

And you are right....I did post this a little candidly and not post this as professionally as it should. You have to understand that it is a little hard to swallow after the fact that branch gave me the "Wham Bam Thank You Uncle Sam" routine.

I have done some research into this recruiting position and I realize that the quality of life is usually based solely on your station, station commander, meeting station quotas, etc.... But to be honest after reviewing some of the information A LOT of red flags are flying up. Maybe you can clarify this in "detail" for me.

1. I have noticed due to the staggering rate of suicides in USAREC they changed the hours to better suit Soldiers to have time with their families. True or False?

2. Career stagnation. The inability to attend residential military training due to location(College you can do anywhere). Therefore stuck in your current MOS (talking about promotion points here) pushing papers for a 79R slot and not getting picked up unless you flip to be an actual recruiter.I will agree this will help you in the long run to make E7 but hell you have to make E6 first otherwise you are putting the cart before the horse, especially with the TIS changes to the QMP.

3. 10 days max leave....maybe 2 to 3 days for Christmas...and some stations not letting you take leave even though you are "Use or Lose" (heard this from a real recruiter TODAY). Can anyone else relate?

In closing, I know I may have come off as a sub-par NCO to you because of my original post but please do not think for one second that I am a "check collecting SERGEANT". I just feel it necessary to know that if I am forced to walk in a minefield in my career path I want to make sure I follow a different one than others whose careers have been blown up because of this "mandatory" decision. I have no problem doing the job but it is the quality of life that has my attention. And yes, I could get out and do my same job (without touching a drop of fuel btw) and make bookoo money downrange as a contractor or on post.

Posts: 7 | Location: Fort Campbell | Registered: 13 September 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Corvette1140:
As much as I disliked Recruiting I still think it is better than pumping gas in the Army.

Its actually not that bad especially if you get in a good aviation unit fueling apaches, blackhawks, Chinooks, etc...

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TheWiseChief:

I agree with your statement Chief. Those statements have been thrown around all over many posts and I do realize that diversity does bring an essence of being able to handle any leadership role thrown your way throughout your career.

I just find it oddly ironic that history repeats itself. Not trying to get too political on here but the same thing is happening today that did during the Clinton years. You would think drawdowns (especially in this epic proportion historically) would call for less recruiting and more retention of experienced personnel. But I guess the Army is always in need of "fresh blood" to fill the ranks.

I apologize for the frustration on this post but I really wanted to see some input from other NCO's who faced this same challenge as I am facing today. As many people that I have talked to about this, it seems its about a 1 in 4 shot of actually having a rewarding experience in this occupation.

I know I will have to adapt (although I know at times I will be gritting my teeth through it) and just get these next three years knocked out. I see myself as a pessimistic optimist at times and usually joke about the bad stuff to make it through. I can only hope that I don't hit any tripwires down this recruiting path.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Any pointers?

quote:
quote:

Any pointers?

Whoa now looks like a struck a nerve with you....let me start off by stating that I posted the original comment to vent about being put in the position that I am currently in.... and I know that "riding a desk" might have offended you....but I am just calling it how I see it. I have no problem doing paperwork (and actually doing it right, not losing it like most S shops) but you must understand that if I wanted to be a paper pusher I would have signed up to be a 42A. I came in the Army to push fuel. I am proud of my job and IT IS a hell of a lot better than riding a desk. Sure it may be a little harder than some, but I believe the character of a leader should be judged by the callous on his hands and the sweat of his back. Ask any Soldier which is the better NCO. The one out there leading the way or the one who gives orders and goes back in the A/C. You cant lead Soldiers behind a coffee cup.

And you are right....I did post this a little candidly and not post this as professionally as it should. You have to understand that it is a little hard to swallow after the fact that branch gave me the "Wham Bam Thank You Uncle Sam" routine.

I have done some research into this recruiting position and I realize that the quality of life is usually based solely on your station, station commander, meeting station quotas, etc.... But to be honest after reviewing some of the information A LOT of red flags are flying up. Maybe you can clarify this in "detail" for me.

1. I have noticed due to the staggering rate of suicides in USAREC they changed the hours to better suit Soldiers to have time with their families. True or False?

2. Career stagnation. The inability to attend residential military training due to location(College you can do anywhere). Therefore stuck in your current MOS (talking about promotion points here) pushing papers for a 79R slot and not getting picked up unless you flip to be an actual recruiter.I will agree this will help you in the long run to make E7 but hell you have to make E6 first otherwise you are putting the cart before the horse, especially with the TIS changes to the QMP.

3. 10 days max leave....maybe 2 to 3 days for Christmas...and some stations not letting you take leave even though you are "Use or Lose" (heard this from a real recruiter TODAY). Can anyone else relate?

In closing, I know I may have come off as a sub-par NCO to you because of my original post but please do not think for one second that I am a "check collecting SERGEANT". I just feel it necessary to know that if I am forced to walk in a minefield in my career path I want to make sure I follow a different one than others whose careers have been blown up because of this "mandatory" decision. I have no problem doing the job but it is the quality of life that has my attention. And yes, I could get out and do my same job (without touching a drop of fuel btw) and make bookoo money downrange as a contractor or on post.

Look buddy....I can honestly tell you that Recruiting is not that bad...I've been out here for about 7 months and it is a good break from traditional Army. Don't get me wrong; the job is very challenging and sometimes very frustrating but so is any other job in the Army. The only difference is that you are dealing with the civilian population and they can be a little over whelming since most don't believe that the Army has nothing to offer until they are broke and homeless..I have never done recruiting and I am doing pretty well for being a 74D (CBRN)..

Now to answer your questions:

- The hours did change due to the suicide rate but it wasn't just the hours, some had to work 7 days a week. Centers now operate from 0900-1800 and sometimes we have to drive the shippers to the hotel on Sundays. There are 9 Recruiters in the Center so we rotate. Then we have the events on weekends like NASCAR, NHRA, Cowboys games, Air shows...Everyone loves the events since we get tickets for our families also...We work weekends and we get comp time during the week...not bad

- Career stagnation....not true...since I've been here 2 11B's made E-6, and one 88N made E-7...your career progression does not stop just because you are a detail Recruiter...

- 10 days max leave...NOT True...I just took 14 days of leave not long ago...We alternate leave here just like a regular unit; no unit in the Army closes down completely and leaves for the holidays and you know that...We get our 4 day weekends during Federal Holidays just like traditional Army. If an NCO has use or loose, they have to take leave even if they don't want to...USAREC policy letter states that we HAVE to take 7 days of leave every quarter...We can request 14 days and it usually gets approved...

- Don't listen to previous Recruiters that were out here more than 1 year ago...so much has changed from what I have heard, but with that being said not everything is easy out here and it could be a little stressful but at least you can go home every evening to your family, no field time, no deployments...Drill Sergeant and Recruiting are breaks from the everyday life of traditional Army...I've been deployed 3 times and was a little skeptical when I came down on orders to be a recruiter but I have embraced the change and the opportunity to spend time with my son...

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Any pointers?

quote:
quote:

Any pointers?

Look buddy....I can honestly tell you that Recruiting is not that bad...I've been out here for about 7 months and it is a good break from traditional Army. Don't get me wrong; the job is very challenging and sometimes very frustrating but so is any other job in the Army. The only difference is that you are dealing with the civilian population and they can be a little over whelming since most don't believe that the Army has nothing to offer until they are broke and homeless..I have never done recruiting and I am doing pretty well for being a 74D (CBRN)..

- The hours did change due to the suicide rate but it wasn't just the hours, some had to work 7 days a week. Centers now operate from 0900-1800 and sometimes we have to drive the shippers to the hotel on Sundays. There are 9 Recruiters in the Center so we rotate. Then we have the events on weekends like NASCAR, NHRA, Cowboys games, Air shows...Everyone loves the events since we get tickets for our families also...We work weekends and we get comp time during the week...not bad

- Career stagnation....not true...since I've been here 2 11B's made E-6, and one 88N made E-7...your career progression does not stop just because you are a detail Recruiter...

- 10 days max leave...NOT True...I just took 14 days of leave not long ago...We alternate leave here just like a regular unit; no unit in the Army closes down completely and leaves for the holidays and you know that...We get our 4 day weekends during Federal Holidays just like traditional Army. If an NCO has use or loose, they have to take leave even if they don't want to...USAREC policy letter states that we HAVE to take 7 days of leave every quarter...We can request 14 days and it usually gets approved...

- Don't listen to previous Recruiters that were out here more than 1 year ago...so much has changed from what I have heard, but with that being said not everything is easy out here and it could be a little stressful but at least you can go home every evening to your family, no field time, no deployments...Drill Sergeant and Recruiting are breaks from the everyday life of traditional Army...I've been deployed 3 times and was a little skeptical when I came down on orders to be a recruiter but I have embraced the change and the opportunity to spend time with my son...

Cowboys games....I can dig that haha....I take it your stationed near Arlington?

Your reply cleared up a good amount of questions I had...but as you and I are in the same boat for the most part (MOS with nearly maxed out points all the time) what about residential military training? I am going to ALC in January and that residential training is my most lacking part (32 out of 84 points)...everything else is maxed or really close to being maxed out...

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Any pointers?

quote:
quote:

Any pointers?

Cowboys games....I can dig that haha....I take it your stationed near Arlington?

Your reply cleared up a good amount of questions I had...but as you and I are in the same boat for the most part (MOS with nearly maxed out points all the time) what about residential military training? I am going to ALC in January and that residential training is my most lacking part (32 out of 84 points)...everything else is maxed or really close to being maxed out...

I just got back from SLC...so no issues there either

posted Hide Post
I believe he is talking about classes such as HAZMAT, bus driver, etc. that can all count for promo points, but you don't get sent to in Recruiting.

Posts: 2619 | Registered: 08 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of CrisTama
posted Hide Post
If you don't want to get recruting or DS, all you have to do is reclass to 31D. This is the only MOS that i know of that you won't get any spacial duty assigments outside of your MOS...even if you want to.

I know is too late for you to reclass since you are already on assigment...i just thought to put it out there for anyone else who doesn't want to do DS or rectuting.

Posts: 665 | Location: All over the world | Registered: 03 August 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Public_Health_Huh?
posted Hide Post
Jesus....stop quoting EVERYTHING!!!

Posts: 200 | Location: Presidio of Monterey, California | Registered: 23 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post