ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  NCO Business  Hop To Forums  Recruiter Discussion    Professional Advice Requested
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Professional Advice Requested
 Login/Join

posted
Hello, I am seeking some professional advice and I am hoping the community can help me out. I am considering volunteering for recruiting duty; however, I am curious if it will negatively impact my career progression if I were to be promoted to SFC prior to the assignment.

Promotion rates for my MOS in regards to MSG are very stiff and I have not completed a special assignment. I am currently in a nominative assignment, but I am not sure if that counts.

From my understanding for MSG you need a minimum of 24 months of leadership experience, so I believe going recruiter could be negative in placing me behind the curve of not having that PSG/leadership time. Conversely, in DA Pam 600-25 it is one of the recommended special assignments.

So in conclusion, will this move hamper or improve my career progression as a SSG(P)with future career ambitions of becoming a CSM?

Thanks.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 29 July 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TransAm95NCO
posted Hide Post
You think your branch will release you to go from a nominative assignment to a special assignment...I went recruiting (the Army told me to), been back to S1 over a year, got selected for a nominative assignment and my branch shot it down because I need more S1 time....

Lead by Example!!!

Posts: 3914 | Location: Somewhere in the US | Registered: 13 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of GoSignal
posted Hide Post
As much as I hated every day of recruiting, it most likely allowed me to get promoted ahead of my peers to SFC. If you go into recruiting as a SFC, be prepared to have a possibly lower-ranking station commander or be the station commander giving up the blood numbers every day. In my field, it seems like every E8/E9 has a drill sergeant badge, I'd go that route if you want a special assignment for career advancement, while saving yourself a year.

"It is not titles that honor men, but men that honor titles." -Niccolo Machiavelli, 1515

Posts: 125 | Registered: 25 February 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post