ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  General Community Discussion  Hop To Forums  General Discussion    Privately owned weapons on-post

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Privately owned weapons on-post
 Login/Join

<That325iGetsDown>
posted
I am planning to buy a personal firearm...what do I need to do be legal to own it and live on post? I have been told I have to keep it at the PMO, is that correct? Looking for someone who knows the reg on this. Thanks!

Report This Post

Picture of 11BIN3ID
posted Hide Post
i dont have the reg... but on benning, you have to register the gun with the pmo, and then store it in the arms room, and "draw" your weapon when you need it (only if you live on post of course)

Picture of AutobahnSHO
posted Hide Post
Depends on local (state and county,) laws and Post Regulations.

MOST CONUS bases you must keep it in the Company Arms Room (or equivalent,) UNLESS you are E-5 or above. Then it has to be in a locked safe, separate key for the Ammo, etc...

Call the MP station (or Provost Marshal,) and they'll probably know.

Be Proud of what you do- and do it Well! ~me

Posts: 5282 | Location: Ft Gordon (Again!!!) :-| | Registered: 22 October 2007Report This Post

Picture of 11BIN3ID
posted Hide Post
on benning even if you an e5 or above on benning it has to stay in the arms room if you live on post

USAR Career Counselor
Picture of Daddy Warcrimes
posted Hide Post
Each installation will have it's own policies. This usually involves some sort of registration and storage requirements.

At Riley, all firearms and some other items had to be registered with the PMO. They could be stored in family housing, or the company arms room.

As a personal recommendation, don't register them if you can avoid it. [edit: should have said "if you can legally avoid it"]

If you absolutely have to store them in the arms room, if at all possible keep them in a locked case. Something about the idea of a random private appointed by the CO playing with my guns unsupervised just really turns me off.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Daddy Warcrimes,

Posts: 2867 | Location: 13th BN ARCD, AZ | Registered: 15 February 2004Report This Post

Picture of 11BIN3ID
posted Hide Post
i stand corrected, on benning if you are married and live in on post housing, you can keep your fire arms in your house but they must be registered with the pmo...all soldiers in the barracks still must use the arms room. I called the pmo today

Picture of MilitaryPoliceNCO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Daddy Warcrimes:
As a personal recommendation, don't register them if you can avoid it.

I don't know if I am misunderstanding your post Warcrimes but the recommendation of not registering a weapon on post is a big no no. (If you are military the best thing you can do is register it) You can have your privately owned weapons in your on post family quarters as long as they are registered with the PMO this is pretty much Army wide with in the United States ie certain states varies like NY where you will need a CCDW. But moving along as Military Police we use a systems called COPS which when we are called to a residence for say a Domestic or maybe drug use we ask the dispatcher to run a check for any privately owned weapons for officer safety.

Now once we arrive we will ask if there are in fact any weapons inside the residence if there are then we will ask if anyone one else is inside the location and to explain where the weapon is and we will retrieve it. Either way if you have a weapon on post and its not registered and it is in your residence ie you pull it on someone or a fight with your wife and she dimes you out it has happen before or something of that nature people do stupid stuff then you will go to the PMO automatically for a weapons violations.

As far as the barracks yea this sucks it has to be registered at the PMO and stored in the unit arms room at Drum they will be stored in the PMO arms room until you bring your permit that shows you can carry a handgun in which you cant do on post anyways. Shotguns and rifles can be stored in unit arms rooms after registering it with the PMO but you will have to submit a letter to your commander when you want to take your weapon out of the arms room and when you will return it, this is for barracks personnel only. After having been stationed at Fort Drum for five years working Law Enforcement, I know having hand guns are a headache for incoming personnel cause you have to get a CCDW permit in order to have a handgun plan and simple in the state of NY by they State of NY. Which a lot of call for service come from the gate where soldiers are reporting to Drum and they tell the gate guard that they have a weapon and it turns out to be a handgun now either State Police will pick it up or the military police will pick it up but either way its going to be a State charge for unlawful possession of a handgun.

Below is the exact guidance that is put out at Fort Drum

Fort Drum Regulation 190-6, Control of Firearms, Ammunition and Other Dangerous Weapons, dated Nov. 29, 2005, authorizes legally acquired firearms to be possessed and stored on Fort Drum.

Soldiers and family members residing on Fort Drum must register all privately owned firearms in their possession within 72 hours of receiving permanent unit assignment or accepting on-post housing. All Soldiers who reside off post must register all privately owned firearms within 72 hours of receiving permanent unit assignment or within 72 hours of receiving weapons in New York.

In addition to Fort Drum registration, all handguns must be registered in New York state. Handguns must be stored in unit arms rooms until they have been properly registered with the state.

Soldiers residing in on-post and off-post housing may store privately owned weapons in their quarters. Soldiers residing in barracks must store all firearms in the unit arms room at all times when not in legal use. Weapons are not authorized to be stored in privately owned vehicles.

Firearms shall be registered, at no cost, with the Directorate of Emergency Services, Law Enforcement Division, Bldg. 10715, Mount Belvedere Boulevard.

''If you don't find it on the initial shakedown, look for it on their LES breakdown.''

Posts: 165 | Registered: 04 September 2008Report This Post

USAR Career Counselor
Picture of Daddy Warcrimes
posted Hide Post
It is a misunderstanding and entirely my fault as I did not state it clearly.

My recommendation is if you can legally not register your firearms. If you live in a state that requires registration, register them with the state. If your post requires registration, and you cannot store them off post, register them with the post.

If you can legally store them in such a manner where registration is not mandatory, that is my recommendation.

Again this is my personal recommendation and has nothing to do with the good order and discipline of the military. Weapons registration has historically shown to have no effect on crime, and leads only to later confiscation.

It's quite disturbing for me as there are at least 2 firearms registered to me at Ft. Riley that I no longer own (and they have defied my efforts to unregister)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Daddy Warcrimes,

Posts: 2867 | Location: 13th BN ARCD, AZ | Registered: 15 February 2004Report This Post

Picture of MilitaryPoliceNCO
posted Hide Post
No problem but I see no reason to keep your weapons on file if you don't own them. Pretty much when I worked as a Desk Sgt someone would come in and say I don't own these weapons anymore and I would like to unregistered them, I would log into COPS and within in a few clicks after they show me their ID take the weapons out of the system simple as that takes about 20 sec.

''If you don't find it on the initial shakedown, look for it on their LES breakdown.''

Posts: 165 | Registered: 04 September 2008Report This Post

Picture of AutobahnSHO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Daddy Warcrimes:
If your post requires registration, and you cannot store them off post, register them with the post.

Unfortunately I believe ALL US Army Posts require registration.

Be Proud of what you do- and do it Well! ~me

Posts: 5282 | Location: Ft Gordon (Again!!!) :-| | Registered: 22 October 2007Report This Post

Picture of *Military Police*
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by That325iGetsDown:
I am planning to buy a personal firearm...what do I need to do be legal to own it and live on post? I have been told I have to keep it at the PMO, is that correct? Looking for someone who knows the reg on this. Thanks!

Here are some numbers that might help you out:
MP’s: 703-806-3104
Desk Sergeant: 703-806-3104/3105/3106
Provost Marshal: 703-806-4024 Last ditch effort
If none of the above can help you, well then your SOL...

Neither a wise nor a brave man lies down on the tracks of history to wait for the train of the future to run over him.

Posts: 28 | Location: Ft. Campbell, KY | Registered: 23 July 2009Report This Post

posted Hide Post
This looks like a great solution to a lot of private storage issues, a friend at Ft Drum recommended them to me,Weapons guard