ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  General Community Discussion  Hop To Forums  General Discussion    what do you take before a PT test ?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

what do you take before a PT test ?
 Login/Join

posted
Hey all i have been in 5 years now and i have heard of people taking all kinds of things before a PT i.e. ib pro, 5 hour energy, engery drink, hydrxycut. so i was just wondering what people have used and whats helped and whats hurt

when the rich wage war, its the poor that die

Posts: 19 | Location: fort hood 227th ARB | Registered: 23 February 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I take an E/C/A

1 bronkaid pill, a caffiene pill, and a baby asprin.

Posts: 625 | Registered: 19 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
HAVE YOUR MEDIC GIVE YOU 1000ml IV FLUIDS.

thats how we do it.

Posts: 48 | Registered: 12 March 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Ironically I drank a few beers the night before my last APFT but I still managed to score a 290. Anyways my buddy joked that maybe the beer helped me carb load resulting in a good score Big Grin One thing I didn't change was waking up early on the morning of the PT test. I drank some water and ate some fruit I chopped up. Nothing special but if you do the same keep the morning snack light. Some of those other things sounds crazy. Nothing can substitute just being in shape. Really I don't see how caffeine can help other than speeding up your heart rate more than normal while you are taking the APFT. Same thing with energy drinks. I even knew someone who would take a benadryl because he fiqured it would clear his nasal passage resulting in a faster run. Now that is crazy!

Dave

Posts: 258 | Location: Japan | Registered: 04 December 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Caffeine is clinically proven to decrease perceived effort.

Posts: 2603 | Registered: 08 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by realistik:
Ironically I drank a few beers the night before my last APFT but I still managed to score a 290. Anyways my buddy joked that maybe the beer helped me carb load resulting in a good score Big Grin One thing I didn't change was waking up early on the morning of the PT test. I drank some water and ate some fruit I chopped up. Nothing special but if you do the same keep the morning snack light. Some of those other things sounds crazy. Nothing can substitute just being in shape. Really I don't see how caffeine can help other than speeding up your heart rate more than normal while you are taking the APFT. Same thing with energy drinks. I even knew someone who would take a benadryl because he fiqured it would clear his nasal passage resulting in a faster run. Now that is crazy!

Caffeine kind of raises your fight vs flight stress signal. Well any me anyway. So it allows me to move a tad bid faster. The bronkaid always seems to help me breath easier and I don't know the asprin seem's to for some reason cause me to have less shin paun.

Posts: 625 | Registered: 19 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of CrisTama
posted Hide Post
I don't know about you guys, but i never took anything, sometimes i didn't even drink water... unless i was thirsty. Like "realistik" said, if you are in shape you shouldn't need anything.

Posts: 645 | Location: All over the world | Registered: 03 August 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of 35 Series
posted Hide Post
Most of the things that you guys think are helping you are most likely psychosomatic and not actually helping you.

The only thing I do is make sure I'm in shape, and wake up a little earlier on PT test days to ensure that I am fully awake and warmed up (I'll usually walk a mile or half a mile before the test).

My big mistake last time was that I actually drank too much water the day of the test. Not because I was trying to hydrate right before I took it, but because the air is/was so dry here that my throat was burning. So when I went on the run it felt like my stomach was swishing around and made me sick, and decreased my run time.

"an Army Linguist" - Resources and more about being an Army linguist

Posts: 2327 | Location: CONUS | Registered: 30 October 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of 19D to 51C
posted Hide Post
A big, deep breath.

"Never tell someone how to do something. Tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their ingenuity." GEN George S. Patton

Posts: 27 | Location: Fort Knox, KY | Registered: 06 July 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I tried caffeine before a PT test and it made me jittery.

Just drink water, warm up and do your best Smiler

Posts: 458 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 08 September 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I don't know what it is, but 2 beers and a lot of water helps me

Posts: 360 | Registered: 17 November 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TransAm95NCO
posted Hide Post
I make sure I hydrate, I use icy/hot on the places I know always hurt, such as my shoulder and my right knee (i do this the night before)...then wake up a little early and take about 1000mg of ibroprofin(spelling) to make sure my knee is not that sore...stretch before the push ups and continue stretching until the run starts....

Lead by Example!!!

Posts: 3915 | Location: Somewhere in the US | Registered: 13 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

USAR Career Counselor
Picture of Daddy Warcrimes
posted Hide Post
Half a red bull.

Works pretty well.

Posts: 2864 | Location: 13th BN ARCD, AZ | Registered: 15 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of 35 Series
posted Hide Post
Someone has mentioned that Bronkaid is illegal in the Army because it contains Ephedrine...truth, no?

"an Army Linguist" - Resources and more about being an Army linguist

Posts: 2327 | Location: CONUS | Registered: 30 October 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 35M4LN7PF:
Someone has mentioned that Bronkaid is illegal in the Army because it contains Ephedrine...truth, no?

I've looked all over for an answer (I'm curious as well) and can't find anything.

I wouldn't use it to be safe.

Posts: 458 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 08 September 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post