ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

   

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum
 
ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  General Community Discussion  Hop To Forums  General Discussion    Does a soldier HAVE to have a phone?
Page 1 2 3 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Does a soldier HAVE to have a phone?
 Login/Join
 

posted
I got into an argument with somebody at work the other day about whether or not a soldier can be forced to buy a phone. I can see no regulation that requires a soldier to own a cellphone, and I understand it to be a soldier's right to not be forced to purchase certain goods or services. So where do we stand on this? Am I right that the soldier has a decision as to whether or not he has to purchase a cellphone if he chooses not to?
 
Posts: 48 | Registered: 23 April 2011Report This Post

posted Hide Post
No, they don't have to buy a phone. However, look at this from the supervisor's perspective.
You are responsible for passing on information to this Soldier and knowing where he is. Imagine how inconvenient that is if he has no point of contact. How much time out of the day and how much time away from his family should a NCO honestly have to spend tracking down PFC Cheap?
If that Soldier was in my section I would create an elaborate counseling that would essentially force him to buy a phone. Either he gets a 20 dollar prepaid and I can keep track of the supposed adult or he will be tethered to one of his friends all weekend.
 
Posts: 363 | Registered: 20 January 2011Report This Post

posted Hide Post
I'm not advocating NOT having a phone, obviously the convenience of having a cellphone outweighs the cost, but I feel a lot of leaders take it for granted that a soldier have a cellphone, and then in the event that they don't answer it, the leaders like to act like they just committed treason. Honestly though people, this army has been slaughtering people for a many years before cellphones were even an idea.
 
Posts: 48 | Registered: 23 April 2011Report This Post

posted Hide Post
A Soldier is not required to have a phone, however, his supervisor can make his life a lil harder by limiting his where about throughout the duty hrs.....which i know will piss everyone off if they cnt leave their supervisor eye sight...when other Soldiers can, because their supervisor can get a hold of them if need be.
 
Posts: 58 | Registered: 19 February 2007Report This Post

posted Hide Post
Why would you want to mess with your soldier just because he doesn't have a phone? Because everybody else chooses to buy one? People in the '90s didn't have cellphones, and we seemed to do just fine. We won a couple of world wars without soldiers having cellphones, did we not?
 
Posts: 48 | Registered: 23 April 2011Report This Post

posted Hide Post
A Soldier is not required to have a cellphone, if so the Army would issue him/her one.

Evenmore if a Soldier lives in the barracks there is no need for a cellphone since you have a CQ and Staff Duty which for work/ buisness related matters and can serve as a contact number. If a leader needs to get ahold of his Soldier call CQ. Also most barracks have pay phones.

Just as one stated the unit and leader can make life some what difficult by implementing a sign out roster at the CQ desk with name of place, address and phone number or prior to leaving post the Soldier must contact their 1st line Supervisor of location, things of that nature.

Without a doubt cellphones are convenient, but as long as we keep a few Jr. NCOs in the barracks and CQ stays awake, we'll make it work
 
Posts: 494 | Registered: 24 December 2010Report This Post

posted Hide Post
JR-31B Reality is today Soldiers lack the discipline compared to Soldiers back then.....I dnt know if you have Soldiers under you or not but its hard to keep track of Soldiers when they dnt have a phone/harder to distribute info as thing changes on the regular
 
Posts: 58 | Registered: 19 February 2007Report This Post

posted Hide Post
Soldiers and cell phones. Communication is everything from day to day business to daily life, but what did NCOs do before cell phones were used? They would call their house phone or physically go see them and relay the information. Its called not being lazy. NCOs of today of relied on the advancement of communication devices to contact Soldiers. But enough on that rant.

Now to argue the other point. If I contact you as your leader, there is a reason why I am contacting you. It isn't to bullshit with you. I am your first line supervisor and keeping you current. If you do not pick up the phone, leave a message and as soon as you get call him/her back letting them know you got it.

No a Soldier does not have get a cell phone, but it does make everything easier. But I should not have to drive 30 miles to tell a Soldier formation time has changed (Worst case scenerio). But if it must be done, it will be done.
 
Posts: 165 | Registered: 09 April 2011Report This Post

posted Hide Post
I'm not driving 30 miles to let "Joe" know formation time has changed.

30 miles total or 30 miles to get there and 30 back.. Heck no, LOL.

Sounds like Private Snuffy will be getting a late call.
 
Posts: 494 | Registered: 24 December 2010Report This Post

Picture of SSG. T
posted Hide Post
Who had a cellphone downrange? Case and point.
 
Posts: 566 | Registered: 29 January 2007Report This Post

Picture of erikwithak86
posted Hide Post
The way society as a whole functions today makes it really hard for anyone to not own at least one kind of phone (house phone, cell, whatever).

Saying "oh the Army functioned just fine in 1981 when I was in without phones" has no bearing on a conversation taking place in the present.

Obviously you cannot force a soldier to get a cell phone. However my approach would go something like this. You need to explain to these soldiers that now-a-days owning a phone is a part of being an independent adult. Being in the Army you are not a child anymore. Part of your responsibility as a soldier is to be at your appointed place of duty, on time and in the right uniform. We all know that it is simply not that easy with all the last minute information being put out, usually top-down through the chain of command. PVT Snuffy is generally the last one to know. If I am your squad leader and the platoon sergeant calls me at 2000 to tell me that uniform has changed from PTs to ACUs at 0630, you think I'm going to drive my happy ass from my house to the barracks to make sure that Snuffy knows. FCUK THAT. Being a grown-up means that you have to be responsible enough to understand that people may need to get a hold of you to pass information along. If PVT Snuffy is not understanding the whole "Be an adult" spiel, kick it up a notch.

I'm going to tell Snuffy this. No I cannot make you buy a cell phone. You WILL have a cell phone by X day. If you do not, you will be attached to my hip during the duty day and you will stay as late as I have to, to make sure you get the word before you leave. After duty hours, you will attached to the hip of your team mate PVT X because PVT X owns a cell phone. If PVT X decides he wants to go to the bar, guess what, you are going with him, because if I need to get a hold of you I need to make sure PVT Snuffy gets the word.

Eventually PVT X will get tired of PVT Snuffy's BS and use that peer pressure to make him get a phone. And if he doesn't pressure him into getting a cell phone, then they can live miserably together.

If it's a money issue, OH PLEASE let some fucking PVT that lives in the barracks come tell me that he has money issues. Then a whole other world of hurt will open for him when I start counseling him on financial responsibility. It will only add to my paper trail. I will make that soldier a goddamn independent adult able to function in society on his own and by God's name if I can't do that I will put him out of the Army. There is no reason a single soldier living in the barracks can not afford a cell phone so by God they will have one.

There was a similar conversation like this not too long ago about soldiers and not wanting to buy a car. Same thing, you WILL get your ass to work, and on time. I don't care how, but I'm not giving you a ride every day. It's not my responsibility to get you to work, just to make sure you are there.
 
Posts: 707 | Registered: 18 June 2009Report This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mastadan:
JR-31B Reality is today Soldiers lack the discipline compared to Soldiers back then.....I dnt know if you have Soldiers under you or not but its hard to keep track of Soldiers when they dnt have a phone/harder to distribute info as thing changes on the regular


That's the reality, huh? How do you measure discipline? Where can I find a chart of the discipline trends throughout the years? And how does discipline affect the need for a cellphone?
 
Posts: 48 | Registered: 23 April 2011Report This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erikwithak86:
The way society as a whole functions today makes it really hard for anyone to not own at least one kind of phone (house phone, cell, whatever).


Saying "oh the Army functioned just fine in 1981 when I was in without phones" has no bearing on a conversation taking place in the present.





What are the differences between the way society functions today, and the way it functioned in the 90's, that specifically necessitate a cellphone? People take for granted that everybody is going to have one, but that is more in line with an unhealthy dependence than a fundamental shift in the way society operates.

quote:
Originally posted by erikwithak86:
Obviously you cannot force a soldier to get a cell phone. However my approach would go something like this. You need to explain to these soldiers that now-a-days owning a phone is a part of being an independent adult. Being in the Army you are not a child anymore. Part of your responsibility as a soldier is to be at your appointed place of duty, on time and in the right uniform. We all know that it is simply not that easy with all the last minute information being put out, usually top-down through the chain of command. PVT Snuffy is generally the last one to know. If I am your squad leader and the platoon sergeant calls me at 2000 to tell me that uniform has changed from PTs to ACUs at 0630, you think I'm going to drive my happy ass from my house to the barracks to make sure that Snuffy knows. FCUK THAT. Being a grown-up means that you have to be responsible enough to understand that people may need to get a hold of you to pass information along. If PVT Snuffy is not understanding the whole "Be an adult" spiel, kick it up a notch.

I'm going to tell Snuffy this. No I cannot make you buy a cell phone. You WILL have a cell phone by X day. If you do not, you will be attached to my hip during the duty day and you will stay as late as I have to, to make sure you get the word before you leave. After duty hours, you will attached to the hip of your team mate PVT X because PVT X owns a cell phone. If PVT X decides he wants to go to the bar, guess what, you are going with him, because if I need to get a hold of you I need to make sure PVT Snuffy gets the word.

Eventually PVT X will get tired of PVT Snuffy's BS and use that peer pressure to make him get a phone. And if he doesn't pressure him into getting a cell phone, then they can live miserably together.




That's a great plan of action. Until your soldier gets hazed because you chose to put the problem on another one of your soldiers? And don't you think that the soldiers have spiritual and emotional needs that may be infringed upon by not being able to go anywhere alone? Or you only care about those as long as YOU aren't being inconvenienced. Isn't something about the welfare of your soldiers in that little creed bullcrap they make you say all the time? Is it just lip service to you then? Yeah, you'll sign on for the task, you'll stand tall in front of the board and act squared away for 10 minutes, and like you give a damn so you get to wear that rank, and you'll get the cash, but godamn if you have to think of solutions to problems that keep your soldiers well-being in mind? And don't you think if the DoD thought a cellphone to be truly necessary they would pay for one? Hell, not starving yourself is a much bigger part of being a grown-up than having a phone, and what do you know? The army provides rations for soldiers. The same could be said of shelter.

quote:
Originally posted by erikwithak86:
If it's a money issue, OH PLEASE let some fucking PVT that lives in the barracks come tell me that he has money issues. Then a whole other world of hurt will open for him when I start counseling him on financial responsibility. It will only add to my paper trail. I will make that soldier a goddamn independent adult able to function in society on his own and by God's name if I can't do that I will put him out of the Army. There is no reason a single soldier living in the barracks can not afford a cell phone so by God they will have one.


There's no concieveable reason that a soldier can't afford a cellphone? Yeah, you're just plain wrong. Maybe his family is strapped for cash, and like family members do, he made a sacrafice to help them? Maybe he has other things he would rather do with that money, like save it? Maybe the soldier has some property he is paying a mortgage on that he delegates his cash to. Maybe he'd rather give $50 a month to a charity? So your philosophy is "as soon as being a leader becomes difficult and time-consuming, I am going to do everything I can to get this soldier out of my hair, his career be damned". So Pvt. X says, Sarge, I can't afford a phone. And you just immediately cut him off and start the counselings. Yeah, you COULD address the issue, and explore your resources to help the guy, but that's way too much work, it's not like it's your job or anything. Man, thank heavens we have leaders in the ranks with that level of commitment to their soldiers. Sounds exactly like the kind of person I want to trust my life to.

]
 
Posts: 48 | Registered: 23 April 2011Report This Post

Picture of SSG. T
posted Hide Post
@JR_31B, Well said.
 
Posts: 566 | Registered: 29 January 2007Report This Post

Picture of SSG CableDawg
posted Hide Post
I have been reading this post since it started because I just had this conversation with one of my soldiers. First thing is no you cannot make a soldier get a phone. I went a whole year when I was a private without a cell. I had a home phone for alerts and emergencies but no cell. So no you cannot require them to have one but they do have to supply their leader with a reliable way of relaying info and handling alerts. Now the real reason that I had to say something is this.

quote:
What are the differences between the way society functions today, and the way it functioned in the 90's, that specifically necessitate a cell phone?


In response to that I say everything about the US military. You and I both know that the entire framework for the US Army is a completely different place then it was 20 years ago. Today soldiers have feelings and rights that they did not have in those days. In the early 90s an NCO could put his hands on a soldier, in the early 90s an NCO could say anything they wanted to a soldier, in the early 90s we didn't even have access to the internet as a regular Joe. Today you can't put your hands on anyone, you can't use language that someone might find offensive and every single Army unit and the Army itself has a face book page. Again I am not saying a soldier must own a cell phone but to assume that because we lived without it before means we can do it now is an ignorant statement. Once upon a time the US Army lived without automatic weapons, radios, and vehicles. Could we win a conventional war with single load rifles, messengers and horses. Never. Its common sense things change and we as a fighting force must change with it.
 
Posts: 16 | Location: JBLM | Registered: 12 September 2010Report This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2 3  

Closed Topic Closed

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  General Community Discussion  Hop To Forums  General Discussion    Does a soldier HAVE to have a phone?

 
   
 
    
 
 
  
Google Site maps Generator Tool