ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  General Community Discussion  Hop To Forums  General Discussion    Forced Power of Attorney?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Forced Power of Attorney?
 Login/Join

posted
Hello. Can my chain of command force me to get a power of attorney for a month long training exercise out of country? All of my affairs are in order, my bills are set up to automatically be paid from my account and I would prefer not to get a power of attorney.

Posts: 5 | Location: MA-USA | Registered: 04 November 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of SFC Jive Turkey
posted Hide Post
You can't be forced to have a power of attorney. While it can be a good idea, it can be bad in the wrong hands. If you don't think you need one, don't get one.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SFC Jive Turkey,

Posts: 250 | Location: Fort Rucker | Registered: 21 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TheWiseChief
posted Hide Post
NO ONE IS PROMISED TOMORROW!

With that said, yes, your chain of command cannot force you to get a will or power of attorney but it is smart for every service member to do so.

You do not know if anything might happen to you during your travels or training that will leave you dead, injured or mentally incapacitated.

I been with the Mrs. for a very long time and I give her a general or special (which is more specific) power of attorney and not only when I am deployed or on exercises. She secures the notarized document in a secure lock-box.

If you have a significant other or a close relative that you trust with your finances; then it behooves you to get one. It is smart sense.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TheWiseChief,

Posts: 1902 | Registered: 04 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post