New
Find
Notify
Tools

DLPT Persian Farsi
 Login/Join

posted
Hello,

I'm preparing for the DLPT Persian Farsi. Are the GLOSS modules a useful way to prepare for the DLPT? I've completed all the level 1 and 1+ modules front to back and took flashcards for all the vocab. I'm in the process of completing the level 2 and 2+ modules. Would completing these modules, in addition to JLU and watching Farsi videos and news broadcasts help?

Posts: 8 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 04 January 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TransAm95NCO
posted Hide Post
I dont know that language but I have taken the DLPT, one thing I can say is if you dont know both the language you are testing on and english very well, you wont do your best at the test...for instance someone who knows spanish very well but does not know english as well as spanish, will not do 3+ on the test...

Lead by Example!!!

Posts: 3915 | Location: Somewhere in the US | Registered: 13 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of SFC RossiJ
posted Hide Post
Everything helps for the DLPT. The GLOSS is pretty good. IOT score above a 1+, 1+ you need to recognize past present and future tenses and when they are used, what the "tone" of certain conversations and articles are, and what opinions or stated facts are captured in the dialogue/report/article.

1. If you have access to videos and news broadcasts then watch them.

2. Try to pick up on tenses and some of the more in-depth topics.

3. See if you can identify the opinions of people.

4. DO NOT CRAM!! Just spend a couple of hours a day listening and reading everything you can. Translate along the way.

Good luck.

Posts: 272 | Location: Djibouti | Registered: 17 May 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Hey SFC,

Thanks so much for helping a fellow soldier. You must be an exceptional NCO. I took the Online Diagnostic Assessment for Farsi on the GLOSS page, twice. I scored well for Vocab/Lexical recognition but there had to be something wrong with that ODA. It has an input option thats 'open-ended' meaning you can input basically whatever you want and the computer will pick out the keywords in your response to see if you nailed it or not. So my assessments have fluctated wildly. The first time I scored a 0 and the second time I scored a strong 1+. Isn't the real DLPT just multiple choice, albeit very detailed multiple choice? I'm doing what I can to prepare, focusing more on media terminology- I ordered Media Persian off of Amazon. Anyways thanks for your input its much appreciated.

Khoda Hafiz

Posts: 8 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 04 January 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of SFC RossiJ
posted Hide Post
The DLPT is 2-3 parts, listening, reading, and maybe an OPI (conversation).

1. Listening: You will listen to dialogue, news reports, and radio ads. You will be asked very easy questions like the color of something, a quantity of an item, what was ordered at a cafe, and the names of people. You will also be asked difficult questions like; Why is the person in the dialogue looking for a new appartment? How were the criminals captured? and What was the parliment's decision on a topic?

2. Reading: You will be given passages ranging from 1-5 paragraphs. You will be asked easy questions like what date the article came out or the relationship between people in the article (mother, brother, etc.). Like listening, you will have difficult questions like: What is the tone of the protagonist in the passage? and Which title best describes the main idea of the article?

OPI: This is the speaking portion. IF you have to take it, you will be on the phone or sitting down with an instructor and engage in conversation. The instructor will speak to you about who you are, where you're from, your job, if you're married or have kids. They will push the dialogue, based on your ability to answer easy questions, to more complicated topics like what your opinions are about the last election, or where you plan to spend your vaccation and what you'd like to do there.

In all of these sections just do your best. It's multiple choice so use deductive reasoning, eliminate answers and make the BEST choice. For the OPI what you say doesn't need to be true. If you say I want to go on vaccation to FL but don't know the word for amusement park then say Disney World. Or if you can't say "go to the beach and sunbathe", then say something you know like "I will go fishing". Tenses are KEY here, they determine your score. The more you can properly transition from past and future tenses and talk AROUND vocab that you don't know, the higher your score will be. You're not supposed to "get" all of it, you won't. Find the verbs you know, look/listen for conjugations, look/listen for tenses, and look/listen for linking words that help tie things together.

I'd like to know how it turns out for you so post back your score.

Side note: What's your MOS and are you at DLI in Monterey?

Posts: 272 | Location: Djibouti | Registered: 17 May 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Hey SFC,

My MOS is actually 92Y. I deployed to Afghanistan last year and picked up a fair amount of conversational Dari there, learned to read and write and gained a basic foundation in vocabulary and grammar. By the end of my deployment I had 'decently' fluid conversational skills. I was in the running for a 35P position in my old home of record but, given how bad the economy was at the time (and its only gotten worse since then)I decided that, although 35P was lucrative, they wouldn't let me go active duty which is really what I needed at the time since jobs are hard to come by, that I needed to really beef up employable civilian skills outside the military context. So I became an Accounting/Taxation Major to get some competitive civilian skills and education. According to the old business rules (and I believe nothing's changed since then) DLI trained 35P had some restrictions on active duty positions. However a 09L without the DLI background would have an easier time going active duty and then transferring into a 35P based on needs of the Army. I would've taken then Dari DLPT however it became apparent that 1. the Afghans taught me very regional/local grammar and slang and that 2. that wasn't going to fly on the DLPT. So since turning down the 35P position and moving to California and then Colorado its basically been a race to find the right way to prepare for the DLPT, the right vocab and such. Afghans don't have words for 'atomic bomb' for example and use religiously terminology more frequently than political or economic terminology (they don't have a grasp of the concept of 'accounting' for example). I stumbled on GLOSS in August and have been doing the modules there one by one ever since. Every now and then I find an Iranian immigrant and practice conversation that way. But my main focus is just getting the listening and reading done the way DLPT wants it done. I would like to go to DLI in the future definitely. These days its all about juggling DLPT prep and being an Accounting major at the same time. But if given a choice I would still like to go Active Duty as a 09L or 35P. If the Army won't let me go Active Duty at all even with the Farsi then I already had numerous assurances from law enforcement that Farsi would be useful across the board, from CIA to Border Patrol which makes it worthwhile to keep pursuing it.