ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  General Community Discussion  Hop To Forums  General Discussion    Question about pregnant single female and BAH/moving off post
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question about pregnant single female and BAH/moving off post
 Login/Join

Picture of 35 Series
posted
I have a PFC who is pregnant and still legally single. Our BN is trying to tell her that she can't move out of the barracks with an SNA until she hits her 7th month of pregnancy. As a matter of fact, they are telling her that she can't even submit the 5960 and SNA UNTIL her 7th month, meaning by the time it gets processed she will be damn near due, which seems freaking ridiculous. Plus you know how S1 loses stuff. So if you get into damn near 8 months of pregnancy and she has a baby premature or complications, is she going to go back from the hospital to the damn barracks?

I looked at AR 420-1 which covers housing policies and couldn't find this mystical 7 month nonsense. Can anyone advise?

"an Army Linguist" - Resources and more about being an Army linguist

Posts: 2481 | Location: CONUS | Registered: 30 October 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of SFC W
posted Hide Post
The only guidance I've ever seen (secondhand, I've never had a soldier with this situation) was that they had to be out of the barracks prior to giving birth, but never that they had to wait.

That's awesome, let's make a 7+ month pregnant person move all of her shit. Great idea. (Although I'm assuming your shop would help her)

Since it's commander's discretion, I'd ask for an exception to policy.

Posts: 396 | Location: Ft. Lewis, WA | Registered: 30 May 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Minerva46R
posted Hide Post
I've always heard of the 28-week rule, which I thought was supposed to protect pregnant females from being kicked out of the barracks before that time.

How far along is she at this point, and has she been given a pregnancy counseling outlining housing options? I know the on-post housing list at Bliss is insane amounts of long, but it's a viable alternative to receiving BAH and an avenue she might want to explore. She can be placed on the waiting list once the pregnancy is confirmed, but can not actually move into family housing until the birth of the child. You already referenced AR 420-1 which says:

(5) Pregnant military personnel, otherwise without Family members, may be placed on the waiting list when pregnancy is confirmed by medical authority.
(5) Pregnant military personnel (with no other Family members) will not be assigned to Family housing until the birth of the child.

As for receiving BAH, it's harder to find in the regulation, but from what I can gather it can vary by post policy and the discretion of the commander. The above referenced regulation also says:

(2) Garrison commanders may authorize single Soldiers in the grade of sergeant (E5) and below to reside off post under the following conditions:
(a) When adequate housing is not available and military necessity is not a factor.
(b) When the Soldier is pregnant.
(c) When the Soldier has purchased a home near the installation prior to notification of assignment to that installation.

I found a few post policy letters outlining the 28-week rule, but still can't find it in any Army-wide regulation.
Fort Irwin
Fort Riley

Try as I might though, I can't find one for Fort Bliss. Honestly I think it's a little ridiculous myself, and I definitely understand your/her concerns. It definitely sounds like she's getting set up for failure, because you're right, what if she has the baby early, THEN has to fight for BAH and then gets the joys of trying to move into a house or apartment with a newborn? Truthfully it seems like it's really up to the command how it gets handled, and I don't know what sort of advice to offer in that situation if the command plans on screwing her around.

If I find anything else out, I'll let you know.

Posts: 26 | Location: Fort Bliss | Registered: 06 May 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of 35 Series
posted Hide Post
Thanks. No she has seen the counseling paperwork, but hasn't formally been counseled just yet. But she knows what's on it. She's just trying to get BAH.

I've begun the process of having 1SG track this down.

Posts: 2481 | Location: CONUS | Registered: 30 October 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
i Have a friend that is currently pregnant... who is a SGT living in the NCO barracks and they told her she cannot submit paper work for BAH until she hit her 6 month mark.

Posts: 58 | Registered: 19 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of 35 Series
posted Hide Post
Her six months, my female seven months, it seems like people just like to make up random shit.

Picture of AutobahnSHO
posted Hide Post
It's always because tards before us screwed it up. (Either lost the baby but then 'forgot' to move back into the barracks, got an abortion as late as possible, or got it written up by a civilian doctor (or faked the paperwork froma civilian doctor.)

(True story, saw the last one. She faked pregnancy on and off for upwards of 10months. AIT-land.)

Be Proud of what you do- and do it Well! ~me

Posts: 5328 | Location: Ft Gordon (Again!!!) :-| | Registered: 22 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of teh_hook
posted Hide Post
Ok, so I have a solider who got an exception to policy to move out however the SGM at housing said no to the exception to policy because "She cannot move off post until 7 months" as per the regulation. I still have yet to see this regulation and they will not provide me said regulation or post policy. This is getting silly. Where does common sense come into play?! How can we expect a 7 month pregnant solider to move all her shit from the barracks to a new house?! Sure the shop will help but as we all know the stress of a move can be enough for anyone of us!!!

Also silly me but shouldn't an exception to policy supersede the regulation? IDK ive only been doing this for a few years..

Posts: 45 | Location: DC | Registered: 06 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of teh_hook
posted Hide Post
side note, if it was in black and white so be it.. but like 35M said people are just making random shit up.. and we expect these soldiers to re-up.... right...

Posts: 45 | Location: DC | Registered: 06 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post