ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  General Community Discussion  Hop To Forums  General Discussion    Need some advice before contacting my branch manager
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need some advice before contacting my branch manager
 Login/Join

posted
I'm currently reclassifying to 25U. I'm trying to make it back up to Alaska a lot of my friend keep telling me to contact my branch manager and they might be able to sway that decision. Yet no seems to be able to tell what to expect. Such as who i will be talking to what information ill need to have ready ( besides the obvious ) what questions should i be asking or not asking for that matter. More or less i just don't want to call my branch manger and make a bad impression i could only imagine there fairly busy people.

So anyone who has dealt with their branch manager in regards to duty station assignment i would appreciate any info you toss my way.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 01 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of AutobahnSHO
posted Hide Post
Unless you got it in your re-enlistment contract you don't get assignment choice. (And from what I understand, that's impossible w/ reclass option.)

Your assignment after 25U school will NOT be made by the branch manager. The branch manager has emailed us here at 15th Signal Bde to NOT tell students to contact them.

The assignments are made by someone here at Ft Gordon, no I DON'T know who they are, no they DON'T talk with students.

Update ASK and hope (and pray if that's your thing,) for the best.

-------------------------------------------------

AFTER you are at station for 6months or so contact your branch manager and ASK what is available and when.

Be Proud of what you do- and do it Well! ~me

Posts: 5282 | Location: Ft Gordon (Again!!!) :-| | Registered: 22 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TransAm95NCO
posted Hide Post
Autobahn, the orders are cut at Gordon for people reclassifying or going to AIT but the assignments come down from branch.

Lead by Example!!!

Posts: 3915 | Location: Somewhere in the US | Registered: 13 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of AutobahnSHO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TransAm95NCO:
Autobahn, the orders are cut at Gordon for people reclassifying or going to AIT but the assignments come down from branch.

Actually, they come here without assignments- Darling Hall works with the Branch manager to assign them. For 25P that is usually halfway (around 10wks) into the course.

An email I got in December (And Darlene doesn't work there anymore, not sure who the replacement is,)-

"I just received a note from the 25F/25N/25Q Career Advisor at HRC. There
are a lot of trainees and students that are calling straight up to HRC for
assignments from these MOS.
They have reiterated that it needs to reinforced to the soldiers that they
are not to be calling up there.
They will be referred back to me.
Thanks.
v/r
Darlene
Chief, Trainee/Student Processing
Darling Hall"

Posts: 5282 | Location: Ft Gordon (Again!!!) :-| | Registered: 22 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TransAm95NCO
posted Hide Post
You are not understanding, your Darling hall does nothing but communicate with branch, branch decides who goes where (I know they go there without assignments, obviously)...branch says "PVT Autobahn JR. is going to Ft. Huachuca" and Darling Hall cuts the orders, that whole tell them not to call branch bull is nothing but that BULL, its branch not wanting 1,000 calls every day from PVTs trying to go where they want, so they tell Darling hall to tell you all to tell the PVTs to not call, but you cant stop a Soldier from taking charge of their career....now if all they are going to do is direct them to that lady now they are going to be in the "sh*t list" and might not get the assignment they wanted int he first place...

Lead by Example!!!

Posts: 3915 | Location: Somewhere in the US | Registered: 13 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of AutobahnSHO
posted Hide Post
Sure- that makes sense.

And if you ask me, anyone reclassing is getting the shaft because HRC doesn't want to deal with them..

Picture of reddfayce
posted Hide Post
I am currently a 13D reclassing to 25Q and I still dont know who to go to in order to get a class date in April instead of:
School Code 113 U.S. ARMY SIGNAL SCHOOL - SC: 113, FORT GORDON, GEORGIA 30905-5000
Course Number: 202-25Q10 (CT), Phase 1, Course Title: MULTICHANNEL TRANS SYS OPER-MAINT COMMON CORE, Class 538,
Report date 2009-06-26 End date 2009-08-20
Class Location FORT GORDON, GEORGIA 30905-5000

quote:
Originally posted by AutobahnSHO:
quote:
Originally posted by TransAm95NCO:

Actually, they come here without assignments- Darling Hall works with the Branch manager to assign them. For 25P that is usually halfway (around 10wks) into the course.

An email I got in December (And Darlene doesn't work there anymore, not sure who the replacement is,)-

"I just received a note from the 25F/25N/25Q Career Advisor at HRC. There
are a lot of trainees and students that are calling straight up to HRC for
assignments from these MOS.
They have reiterated that it needs to reinforced to the soldiers that they
are not to be calling up there.
They will be referred back to me.
Thanks.
v/r
Darlene
Chief, Trainee/Student Processing
Darling Hall"

Posts: 50 | Location: TDY ENROUTE | Registered: 13 February 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Career Counselor
Picture of ArmyReenlistment
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reddfayce:
I am currently a 13D reclassing to 25Q and I still dont know who to go to in order to get a class date in April

Your question was answered here ... http://community.armystudyguid.../r/48810062#48810062

Please do not double post.

It's YOUR career! Take control of it before someone else does.
http://www.ArmyReenlistment.com
http://www.facebook.com/ArmyReenlistment

Posts: 6763 | Location: Joint Base Myer-Henderson Hall | Registered: 31 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Vash513
posted Hide Post
I'm a 63B, Ordnance branch. I love my branch managers. They often work with our soldiers to get them the assignments they want, at least in my experience. If not, they'll at least give you a list of locations and let you choose. I called my branch to get Korea and I was on assignment the next day. Hookup Razzer Nowdays, they want you to email them as a courtesy though, which is fine.

Combatives Level 3 Instructor

Posts: 14 | Location: Camp Walker, Area IV, Korea | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Autobahn . . . I understand what your saying and it makes since... Regardless no one really seemed to answer my question. Assume I'm Spc Joe Snuffy I'm stationed at Ft. Bragg and i would like to contact by branch manager about assignment change/placement whatever the case may be. How might i go about it tactfully as to get the best response and the maximum effective use of my branch managers powers. I see Vash513 said i should shot an email ? Should i follow with phone call. Simply I'm looking for advice from someone who has been successfully helped by their branch manager.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 01 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Vash513
posted Hide Post
Send an email first. Include your name, rank, ssn, and MOS. If they don't respond in maybe 10 days then try giving them a call. Give them time, they get a lot of correspondence daily. In the case with my branch office, there is a civilian and a SFC as POCs. I've had no issues with the civilian, but a few people i know say its good to contact the SFC since a fellow servicemember would be more likely to help out.

Posts: 14 | Location: Camp Walker, Area IV, Korea | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Vash513
posted Hide Post
Example:

Doe, John
SPC(P) *if you're promotable, add it*
63BH8 *add any ASIs if applicable, it may help*
123-45-6789

Sir/Ma'am/SFC Williams/etc,

I'm interested in being assigned to Alaska. I would like to know if there is an available slot for my MOS at my current rank at any of the installations there. If so, would you be able to place me on assignment there?

Thank you for your time.

*insert any more kiss-butt stuff you want* Razzer

This worked for me. Actually, they sent me an email to give them a call, when I did, they hooked me up.

I'm in Korea now and contacted them again a while back to be put on assignment to Ft. Knox, but they told me to contact them again when I'm 6 months from DEROS when I'll be eligible to be placed on assignment (although I've known others who have been put on assignment outside of 6 months). They'll be getting an email next month.

Picture of AutobahnSHO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Neusch:
Autobahn . . . I understand what your saying and it makes since... Regardless no one really seemed to answer my question. Assume I'm Spc Joe Snuffy I'm stationed at Ft. Bragg and i would like to contact by branch manager about assignment change/placement whatever the case may be. How might i go about it tactfully as to get the best response and the maximum effective use of my branch managers powers. I see Vash513 said i should shot an email ? Should i follow with phone call. Simply I'm looking for advice from someone who has been successfully helped by their branch manager.

Vash513 answered very well above.

Problem is, You're not in a "Normal" situation. The Branch Managers don't care much about the students reclassing. Frowner