ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  General Community Discussion  Hop To Forums  General Discussion    Sex Symbols at Official Army Events
Page 1 2 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Sex Symbols at Official Army Events
 Login/Join

<That325iGetsDown>
posted
I am a member of Cafemom.com (no comments from the peanut gallery, please) and an Army wife on there posted a forum and a pic of a FHM model at a recent Wounded Veteran's Breakfast. She is posing with three soldiers, two of which are married, and she commented that she thought it was inappropriate for married soldiers to be posing w/her in the way that they were. It made me think about the appropriateness of the Army (USO in this case) hiring sex symbols to be guests at these events. In this case, soldiers and Marines who were receiving her calanders/pictures from the USO had requested her b/c of what she looks like. In my opinion, the Army goes to a lot of trouble to discourage sexism, sexual harrassment, and equality among the sexes, yet this type of thing is deemed appropriate. Her calander would not be allowed to hang in my motorpool b/c it is not the place for it, so why is she, in person, an appropriate guest a function for wounded soldiers (where their wives are not allowed to attend)? Does anyone else think this is hypocritcal and inappropriate? Here is a link to the picture.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/4...o_the_heck?last#last

Report This Post

posted Hide Post
Wow. She is really being harsh. I don't think it is fair to even infer that she is a "skanky slut" because of her occupation and her dress (which I like and now kinda want).

I can understand concern with having sex symbols at events, but hey...it *does* get attention to the cause and sex sells. According to her Wiki page, she has done things for the troops. So why not have her there?

But, of course, I wouldn't complain one bit if I were at an event and Hugh Jackman were there. Not. One. Bit. Smiler

Posts: 458 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 08 September 2009Report This Post

Picture of Buck14
posted Hide Post
I kind of agree with you both. Is it a double standard that her sexy pictures can't be displayed in the work place but she can show up for a military function? I have to side more with, there isn't a problem with it. She looks elegant and not skanky at all. I also doubt she offered any Soldiers a happy ending in some dark out of the way corner. Now, that would be a different story. Heh heh heh. The over reaction is probably more just a wife a tad bit jealous...understandable though. I think that it is ok for her to be there if she does a lot for the military. The more support the better.

Posts: 39 | Location: Somewhere New Soon, I HOPE! | Registered: 14 October 2009Report This Post
<That325iGetsDown>
posted
ASGA, I agree the wife is definately jealous. And I don't think the woman is dressed skanky at all. My posts are from SoldierMom86. I don't agree w/the way she is attacking the woman, but it made me think about the appropriateness of her being there at all, especially since the spouses aren't allowed to be present. It surprises me that as careful as the Army is with its image that this stuff happens.

Report This Post

posted Hide Post
I wonder what her opinion would be about this:

http://www.ok.co.uk/celebnews/...rt-for-U-S-soldiers/

quote:
DAVID Beckham is to spend four days with the U.S. army over Thanksgiving.
The footie star and his Los Angeles Galaxy teammates are to undertake a morale-boosting visit to Kaiserslautern, South West Germany, to show support for soldiers in Afghanistan.

The sports stars will stay in an army barracks from next Monday, where they will visit troops and their families, as well as meeting injured soldiers at the Landstuhl Regional Medical Centre.

Posts: 458 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 08 September 2009Report This Post

Picture of 35 Series
posted Hide Post
There is a difference between sexual harassment/EO and someone showing up in person.

Putting the picture up in your motorpool forces people to look at it at work and be offended. No one has to go see the model when she tours.

It's not like she's being forced into model slavery. She chooses to do what she does for the troops.

Usually the biggest group of people upset with this are the ugly chicks, to be quite honest. These people for whatever reason that tour with the USO, be it comedy, sports, fame, looks, musical talent, boost morale.

What this boils down to is jealousy. If the woman was fat and ugly wearing the same dress the women would either be laughing at her or wouldn't care. It's only because she's hot that it upsets people. If you put Rosie O'Donnell on tour with the USO, and she wore a dress to a FORMAL event, are you going to wonder about THAT appropriateness? Of course not. It's the double standard you see all the time.

Honestly, a lot of women are like this. If that sounds sexist, oh well. You put a good looking guy in a room with another guy, he couldn't (rarely) care less. A new woman that is smoking hot gets hired in an office and the one woman who was before the center of attention now feels threatened...it happens all the time. You can blame it on society, or how women are brought up (incorrectly) to feel like looks are most important, or whatever, but it's true.

A lot of people feel that Gary Sinise is very attractive. Where is this woman's outrage that HE tours with the USO? You don't think that some women overseas are going to swoon at him or married women would take pictures with him if he was dressed up in a suit and tie at an event? Of course not.

How about Bradley Cooper? He tours with USO, and as a guy I am perfectly comfortable saying he is one of the better looking male actors out there. If my wife, however, took a picture with him (she thinks he's smoking hot) I am confident in my looks enough to not give a flying crap. I'd be happy that she got her picture taken with him. I wish I could look like Bradley Cooper, and yet if I had to work with the guy I would not feel threatened by him.

And lastly I will leave you with this hilarious picture that pretty much sums up what I've been saying:

^

The only people that care enough to protest are being greeted with drinks by the people that are protesting for. They don't need people to be outraged FOR them.

"an Army Linguist" - Resources and more about being an Army linguist

Posts: 2327 | Location: CONUS | Registered: 30 October 2005Report This Post

posted Hide Post
I am a wife and I thought that woman was very pretty. If my husband brought home a pic posing with her I wouldn't be bothered y it. That said I don't see anything wrong with having sex symbols at military events. Would this wife be complaining if it was a spouse event and Brad Pitt or Hugh Jackman were there? Probably not. The WWE wrestlers and Divas go over to Iraq and my husband has pictures of him and some Divas cozied up. Do I care? No. I think that wife really needs to lighten up or she will eventually be learning a really tough lesson. Maybe my view is a little off since my husband has all men in his Company crap like this doesn't come up that often.

Posts: 75 | Location: Fort Carson, Colorado | Registered: 23 October 2009Report This Post
<That325iGetsDown>
posted
Well I am not going to lie, if that was my husband in the pic I would be upset. I wouldn't throw a fit b/c I have learned to pick my battles, but to me this is just unnecessary. That being said, I'm probably a TOTAL hypocrit b/c I am really mad that I'm not in KTOWN anymore b/c David Beckham is definately my celebrity crush...

Report This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by That325iGetsDown:
ASGA, I agree the wife is definately jealous. And I don't think the woman is dressed skanky at all. My posts are from SoldierMom86. I don't agree w/the way she is attacking the woman, but it made me think about the appropriateness of her being there at all, especially since the spouses aren't allowed to be present especially since the spouses aren't allowed to be present. It surprises me that as careful as the Army is with its image that this stuff happens.

What difference would it make if spouses were there?

Full disclosure: I'm not married and have never been married, but I don't think it would bother me if my husband took a photo with a model. He knows who he comes home to. Maybe I just don't get it.

<That325iGetsDown>
posted
This is perception 100% b/c it's just my opinion, but to me it makes it appear like an Ol' Boys club type deal...it reminds me of a bunch of businessmen meeting at a strip club or something.

Report This Post

Picture of 35 Series
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by That325iGetsDown:
This is perception 100% b/c it's just my opinion, but to me it makes it appear like an Ol' Boys club type deal...it reminds me of a bunch of businessmen meeting at a strip club or something.
Who cares? You said yourself you liked David Beckham. So if he showed up to some soldier charity or function in a suit and tie you wouldn't take a picture with him? What's the difference? And furthermore, what's the big deal? Unless you were grabbing his crotch or in this case, her boobs....you have to be pretty damn insecure to care if your husband stands NEXT to someone that has to be attractive. Does he also have to call and check in every 15 minutes when he's not within your eye sight and ask you if it's ok every time he adds a friend on Facebook of the female type?

These women are the same women that get upset if their guy has a hairstylist or doctor or whatever that is a female. Or the same women that think every woman is out to steal their guy.

Women usually wear cocktail dresses to formal functions, guys wear suits and ties. What's the difference in you meeting with them?

The only people that care are insecure, jealous people, that don't trust their husbands. Not to mention hypocrites (as you have already pointed out about yourself).

My wife knows that I'm coming home to her and that I would never do anything because she trusts me and she is neither insecure nor threatened by some celeb that I have ZERO chance with even if I wanted to.

And she's mature enough not to call them a name, or make a big deal on the internet about seeing me in a picture with one, unlike 99% of the women in that thread you posted.

The USO caters to both men and women. They have a bunch of male celebs on tour as well. You think the USO is hoping all the guys are going to drool over Brad Cooper and Gary Sinise and a bunch of other guys? No. It's forms of entertainment.

Hell the PX and Shoppettes sell FHM, Maxim, and nude magazines.

The Army as a general whole has become too politically correct for its own good. People just need to lighten the hell up and ignore what they don't like and pay attention to the stuff that they do like. If the Chippendales came to Afghanistan on a USO tour, I wouldn't go. Simple as that. Big friggin deal. If my wife did, however, good for her. It's not like she's going to blow them while no one is looking.

There are about 6 million more important things going on in the world and even within the Army right now for people to be that concerned (unless they are completely ugly and feel threatened by the fact that their husband takes a picture with someone that makes them look like a bag lady) about some stupid model posing with a couple of married guys.

When the Army starts endorsing strippers at the NCO club and the married men are taking pictures with their head between their legs, get back to me.

For now you have a couple of fully clothed grown men taking a picture with a fully clothed grown woman, who happens to be attractive. The guys don't even have their arms around her. They're just standing there with their hands folded in front or by their sides.

If they were with an ugly woman in a dress, would you care?

"an Army Linguist" - Resources and more about being an Army linguist

Posts: 2327 | Location: CONUS | Registered: 30 October 2005Report This Post
<That325iGetsDown>
posted
First of all Interrogator, I did not call her anything. Second of all, I am not ugly and threatened by someone who makes me look like a "bag lady" (b/c she wouldn't anyway). And third of all, yes, the black guy's arm is around her. And fourth of all, not all women are your wife. Some women are the jealous type, and I have no problem admitting that I wouldn't want my husband in that picture. Would I bitch him out and throw a hissy fit like this wife? No. He doesn't need to hear my mouth and I know it's unfounded jealousy so I keep it to myself and forget it. I didn't expect everyone to agree with me, but I feel like the Army should be the same across the board; what is appropriate in the work place should be what is appropriate at functions like this. This wasn't a USO tour, it was a breakfast for Wounded Veterans, things like that are often mandatory. I think the Army needs to clean it up a bit. My opinion, just like you have yours.

Report This Post

Picture of willhorizontal
posted Hide Post
Just throwing this out there, but did any one notice the 2 other women in the picture on the right? So, like The Interrogator pretty much said. You only perceive what you want to? You took a look at the picture. Your low self esteem kicked in and you blocked out the rest of the photo.

So much for Ol' Boys Club 325i.

Posts: 131 | Location: Fort Huachuca, AZ | Registered: 12 March 2009Report This Post
<That325iGetsDown>
posted
Will what are you talking about? My low self esteem? Seriously? Try again dear. This wife went off b/c of HERS maybe. My only take on it is that it is inappropriate. You have no idea what I look like, but I can tell you, I have no reason to feel threatened by models. For one thing, my husband asks me to GAIN weight, so models are not his style, but if they were, I have been approached to be an adult model, so why would I be worried? And for ANOTHER thing, I wasn't the one attacking the WOMAN, just the PRACTICE of using sex symbols to draw people to these events. I dont't think it's appropriate in the Army. And I'm entitled to my opinion. There was no need for you to get personal, especially when you don't even know what I look like. AND, those women are definately not models. They probably work for another agency that was at the breakfast. I said it GAVE OFF THE FEEL of an Ol' Boy's Club b/c there are models walking around no wives (I know this b/c the woman who posted this pic his a wife of one of the soldiers at the even and the spouses were not allowed to attend). If you disagree, fine, but make your assumptions about my self esteem elsewhere. In an effective argument, you should tackle the logic, not the person.

Report This Post

Picture of willhorizontal
posted Hide Post
The last comment was directed at you. The rest was directed at the insecure woman who started that thread you posted. Like ASG said. Its who you come home to at night.

The army isn't buying sex, so it is not about sex sells. It all about getting famous people to show their support of the troops. I think it is a great thing that these people volunteer their time to come see the wounded soldiers. Do a meet and greet and show their support.

Posts: 131 | Location: Fort Huachuca, AZ | Registered: 12 March 2009Report This Post