ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  General Community Discussion  Hop To Forums  General Discussion    Is there a difference btw TS and TS/SCI
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is there a difference btw TS and TS/SCI
 Login/Join

posted
I was wondering if there is a difference between a TOP SECRET and TS/SCI clearance? Or does everybody that obtains a TS get TS/SCI?

Posts: 2603 | Registered: 08 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of AutobahnSHO
posted Hide Post
Secret Compartmented Infomation

means that you have extra clearance to see information which is sensitive in particular areas.

That's where the "need to know" comes in- just because someone has a TS clearance does NOT mean that they can look at anything classified as TS. You would have to have a legitimate job reason to be looking at the stuff.

Different classified info is kept "compartmented" (Separated) from each other, SCI means you can have access to it.

----------------------------------------
As far as I know, TS is always accompanied by the SCI. But I THINK TS/SCI is more stringent than TS alone.

Be Proud of what you do- and do it Well! ~me

Posts: 5281 | Location: Ft Gordon (Again!!!) :-| | Registered: 22 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of SF SGT
posted Hide Post
If you get a TS you may not necessarily get SCI with it. SCI is only assigned in "compartment". These compartments are separated from each other with respect to organization so, an individual with acciess to one copartment willnot necessarily have access to another. Each compartment can include its own additional special requirements and clearance process. There are also caveats like I have. TALENT KEYHOLE, DELTA, GAMMA, all that good stuff. But, as soon as I leave my post I will go back to just having a TS. When I get to where I'm going next I will pick up their SCI clearances and be "read on" for whatever period of time I will be there.

Posts: 39 | Registered: 29 December 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
So on my ERB it states TS-SCI, under PSI status. Does this mean I have a blanket DoD clearance that should be good for most anything. I am currently in a MOS that does not require it, but plan on reclassing someday to a position that does.

Picture of SF SGT
posted Hide Post
Do you have any dates next to PSI Invest INIT and PSI Invest Compl? I don't know why you would get a TS/SCI clearance and not have an MOS that uses it. Also, were you and your family and friends interviewed by an investigator? People don't just automatically get TS clearances. It can be a long process.

posted Hide Post
I have the PSI Invest completed the 8th of this month, it took approx 4 months all together. The reason why I have the clearance is because I was going to reenlist for a MOS that required one, however, my ETS was about 5 months away and I had the opportunity to take an awesome position in Respiratory Therapy so I grabbed it. I signed the paperwork for it and then what do ya know about a week later PSI inv. complete. I have one more reenlistment before I go indef. so I could possibly go into intell later. They never did contact my family members though, maybe because they are mostly natural born US citizen veterans with some type of clearance currently? I don't know. They did contact everyone else though from school to work for the past 10 years though.

Picture of SF SGT
posted Hide Post
Well, if they contacted your school mates and old co-workers then they did a pretty good investigation. My family are all military members too, mostly with high clearances, but for some reason they wanted to talk to my dad. Sounds like you are good to go on that TS/SCI clearance. Like I said, you will get your caveats when get to your intel unit depending on your job. That clearance is good for 7 years I believe. Might be 10 years so take advantage of it. It's expensive too. Good luck in your career!

posted Hide Post
The clearance is good for 5 years active, I have herd 30 days before it becomes inactive. I have also been told that units will downgrade the clearance if you dont need it.

Posts: 136 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: 07 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of JC351LP
posted Hide Post
A TS/SCI Clearance clearance is good for 5 years from the date your investigation was completed. Once you ETS, you have 24 months of TS/SCI eligibility left.

Your S2/SSO is supposed to downgrade your access when you PCS or ETS. Either way, it will fall on your next S2/SSO to bring back your access back (if you need it).

Also, SCI stands for Sensitive Compartmented Information.

Just about everyone in the military that has a TS clearance has a TS/SCI clearance. A collateral TS would be almost worthless right now. Just because someone has a TS/SCI clearance dosent mean they are read on to any SCI, just that they are eligible to be read on.

Posts: 344 | Location: Fort Belvoir, VA | Registered: 01 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Hey thanks everyone for the quick responses. Depending how much I love RT, there is a great chance I'll stay with it. I think the only downside is that I'll be an E-5 for a while. But if promotions are damn near stopped then the next step would going through the red tape and ending up on one of your teams. We'll see.