ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  General Community Discussion  Hop To Forums  General Discussion    Getting chaptered out due to PT test
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Getting chaptered out due to PT test
 Login/Join

posted
I just became an Army wife, so I'm still learning and had a few questions regarding something my husband is going through.

My husband has had some issues passing his PT test (mainly his run). They had him take a record in Sept. which he failed (body fat and run), so they had him go back in two weeks later and re-taped him which he passed. He went on leave for two weeks for our wedding and honeymoon and was then given another record PT test the day after he returned from leave (this past week). He did fail this one by seconds on his run and 1% on his bodyfat (we tried to eat well on our honeymoon, but that's not always easy, and we were constantly walking and on the go).

Due to the last fail his commanding officer is now starting chapter paperwork on him. It has been stated that if he can pass his PT test the first week in November, they won't go through with it, yet this guy has been known to go back on his word before, and he's had my husband go ahead and schedule the first meetings to begin the chaptering process. He has made improvements on his run time each time, so he is getting better.

My questions:
1) Can you seriously give that many records so close together?
2) Can someone get chaptered out for failing a record PT test more than once?
3) Are there any rules regarding giving someone a PT test right after they come off leave (it seems a bit unfair)
4) If he does pass this next PT test and they continue to push through the Chapter is there anything we can do about stopping it?

My husband loves his job and doesn't want to be chaptered out. Any answers would be much appreciated.

Posts: 4 | Registered: 23 October 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

USAR Career Counselor
Picture of Daddy Warcrimes
posted Hide Post
1) Yes. After a APFT failure, the retest must be taken within 90 days. It should be taken as soon as the Soldier and the commander feel the Soldier is ready. If your husband wasn't ready, he shouldn't have taken it.
2) Yes, but in this situation he may be able to contest it.
3) Not really, but the Soldier should be ready for the test
4) See answer #1 and #2

Posts: 3566 | Location: 13th BN ARCD, AZ | Registered: 15 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of JOSHFREE
posted Hide Post
The "it seems unfair" part cracked me up this is the army not daycare. Your husband has a job if he "loves his job" like you say he does then he should pass his PT test because PT is one of the most common things in the army. A huge part of your husbands job is staying fit you know because we in the army are here to "Fight and WIN our nations wars" thats the main JOB to complete this JOB you need to be ready to deploy on a moments notice regardless if you just came off your "honeymoon" its a 2 mile run not the toughest thing in the world and hes got prolly 16minutes to complete it. Good luck though hope he gets back to doing his job or unfortunately you probably wont be an army spouse to much longer.

I got nothing.

Posts: 310 | Location: WA | Registered: 15 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of JOSHFREE
posted Hide Post
Just read that again and I sounded kinda mean I do apoligize just had a newborn not getting much sleep but im sure you get the gist of the paragraph.

I got nothing.

Posts: 310 | Location: WA | Registered: 15 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
It did seem a bit harsh; lack of sleep or not you should always read things before you post them. If he wasn't doing anything to work on it then I would be ok with the fact that they're doing this.

He has improved and was working out while on vacation, so it's not like he's not doing anything, and just crying out poor me. I should have better clarified on the honeymoon, another male soldier in his unit was given a pass from taking this PT test (he had failed the one before also) due to the week leave he had just been on, which is why I didn't understand that part.

Posts: 4 | Registered: 23 October 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<That325iGetsDown>
posted
They can put him out for failing his PT test but I believe it is a long process. I have seen soldiers hang around for a year, and be given a PT test almost weekly to help them pass. If he's as willing to work at it as you make it sound, then he should be willing to take one everyday if he has to to pass it. I would be looking for as many opportunities to pass it as I could. Also, lots of people get a pt test the day after leave, myself included. Not harsh, just the Army. It all depends on how willing your husband is to work, how serious he is, and how the command feels about him. They can drag their feet w/putting him out as long as they want. I've seen soldiers that haven't passed a PT test in a year or more still walking around. But they can (and sounds like they WILL) put him out if he doesn't pass. The bottom line is, the gov't is broke, and the Army is fully staffed. They're paying ppl to get out at this point. If there's any reason to get rid of a soldier right now, they're going to do it, and that's army wide.

As a spouse as well as a soldier, try to keep tempting goodies out of the house and encourage him to go run in the afternoons.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of MP Casper
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately from what you have written, your husband failed a PT TEST in September and passed a TAPE TEST two weeks later. Flash forward a FULL MONTH and your husband comes off leave and they give him a PT TEST which he fails along with failing tape again. It appears to me that your unit gave him almost two months to get into standards. The is more than a fair amount of time and quite frankly I am surprised that he got that long. I am not trying to be rude or anything but it seems as if your husbands unit did everything by the book and gave your husband plenty of time to get into standards. Even if he was trying his hardest, that unfortunately was not enough. All he can do now is convince his command he is an asset and to pass this upcoming test.

Posts: 153 | Location: Stuttgart, Germany | Registered: 08 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of bee
posted Hide Post
Did your unit send your husband to the Nutritionist? Did he get counseled ? Was he in Special Population PT? They should have done all this to help him and if they did and he failed to miss the standards the yes they can put him out. I do understand you, I used to work with this girl and she was like 70lbs overweight and never made any improvement, she was loud and disrespectful but she thought she was cute and funny, she got away with all the stuff, She was here for two years and NEVER once passed her PT test or her weight, in fact she gain weight every time and got worst at her run, Not joking she fell out of the runs before we were even outside the parking lot, anyhow I don't know why 1SG out up with it or CSM, well I think I know why but that is my opinion. On the other hand there is this E5, 50 years old and she is overweight, she just came back in the army, and she is just such an inspiration for me, you should see her, she works out 3 times a day, on constant diet, and she has not passed her run or her weight but she is fast getting there, and I think that's what matters as long as one makes efforts and shows improvement. I know that is not the way the Army works but is messed up how some people filter trough the cracks and good people that actually try really hard get kicked out so fast.

Posts: 23 | Registered: 04 November 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
The Army tells you that if you show improvement you'll be ok. It's just not true. JoshFree..you are in danger of sounding like a huge jerk. My husband was deployed and got shot at, slept in the dirt and mud, saw his friends get shot or blown up, sweated his ass off and then froze his ass off, got to scoop up brains with his hands, missed out on a year of his life...JUST LIKE EVERY OTHER DEPLOYED SOLDER. That sounds like doing your JOB to me. He did all that with out passing his PT or his tape. Now (after his deployment)they are starting chapter paper work on him. The Army is all about little men wanting to feel big, and that's not what it should be, not what it was suposed to be. There's FAT ASSES sitting there getting fatter cause they know some one, and then there's my husband WHO HAS NEVER HAD ONE SICK DAY HIS WHOLE 3 YEARS IN THE ARMY, has been late to formation twice in 3 years. Who's not doing their jobs really? The whole time in Texas no one said or cared about anything. Only sense moving to KY 3 months ago was this brought up. Did his NCOs do anything for him? Not at all. He goes to the gym on his own. Added to his PT and the runs they do. In 3 months he's lost 15 lbs, picked up his run by 3 min, and passed his tape. And still with the chapter paperwork. So, yeah, doesn't sound FAIR does it? That whole "I will more then likely state my oppinion before I look up any regulation!" sounds exactly like the army. You have found your perfect job.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 24 February 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
MP Casper also seems to have some trouble adding 2 and 2. Taking a test, then retesting 2 weeks later, then leave for two weeks, and tested the next day. 2 weeks plus 2 weeks is a month. NOT almost 2 months. Chaptering some out for missing your run by seconds and 1% off on body fat is retarded! You don't do that to a solder who's TRYING.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 24 February 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
AR 350-1

(2) Commanders may administer the APFT as often as they wish; however, they must specify beforehand when the
results are for record. The AA and Active Guard/Reserve (AGR) Soldiers will take the APFT at least twice each
calendar year. A minimum of 4 months will separate record tests if only two record tests are given. The intent is for
the Active Army and the AGR Soldiers to take a record APFT every 6 months. Mission requirements often prevent the
even spacing of record tests. Therefore, commanders are encouraged to test Soldiers for record as close to the record
test window as possible.

He could bring this to the attention of the commander. Especially the last line. The commander can do what he did with your husband, but if he is willing to escalate it, he may have a hard time justifying it. Especially if they find different standards for soldiers in similar situations. Tell him keep working on it!

Posts: 245 | Registered: 23 December 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Listen Pt is something you have to work at, and quite frankly the females ganging up on the males scenario in here is ridiculous, I agree with both sides though. If your husband really wanted to stay in he would work his ass off, and also you said he worked out on leave doubtful if he failed the pt test again, call me whatever, and also josie the Army doesnt care if your trying or not, you have to do. I have known people get kicked out the Army for 1%body fat easilly. My thing is yeah he might be trying, but if he really wanted to stay in his butt would be working out during lunch, after work, doing everything he could to shed that chunk.

Posts: 28 | Location: Ft. Huachuca, AZ | Registered: 16 February 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of AutobahnSHO
posted Hide Post
Soldier in question was going to be chaptered in November. I wonder if he was?

Comments are helpful, look at the dates of the posts you're responding to, the person asking questions might not need the answer anymore.

Be Proud of what you do- and do it Well! ~me

Posts: 5328 | Location: Ft Gordon (Again!!!) :-| | Registered: 22 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
OK so my husband is a combat veteran. He never got in any trouble at Ft Campbell but as soon as we get to Ft Irwin it seems like he can't do anything right. He constantly gets called a shitbag to his face by his superiors. His 1st sgt even said he was a shitty husband and that he could never provide for a family. He flat out told my husband that I have no business with him. He told my husband I should leave him in front of the rest of the trp. He has done everything they have asked of him except suck their dicks. His capt even commended him cuz he could shoot better than anyone in his entire trp. (62 out of 66) His only problem is his pt now. His weight is great. He's just a shitty runner and always has been, but he's always worked at it too. He has greatly improved the past few months with absolutely no help from his trp. He is now only a few seconds off and my husband had to start the pre-seperation classes a few days ago. He is supposed to get one more chance to take the pt test but from what has happened here so far his 1st sgt wont care if he passes or not. Having a pt test right after a rotation will be hard too because he can't do anything to improve for 2 weeks because out in "the box" they don't do anything but dress up as Iraqis lay around all day in holes hoping someone will drive by so they can set off a fake ied. Sure its helpful for the soldiers who come here to train before being deployed, but not for the soldiers who are stationed here. anywho we are going to work our asses off until the next pt test. he can shoot better than anyone in his trp and hes determined to run better than anyone in his trp so they will have absolutely no reason to beat him down and call him a shitbag

Posts: 1 | Registered: 18 March 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BrandiChan:
OK so my husband is a combat veteran. He never got in any trouble at Ft Campbell but as soon as we get to Ft Irwin it seems like he can't do anything right. He constantly gets called a shitbag to his face by his superiors. His 1st sgt even said he was a shitty husband and that he could never provide for a family. He flat out told my husband that I have no business with him. He told my husband I should leave him in front of the rest of the trp. He has done everything they have asked of him except suck their dicks. His capt even commended him cuz he could shoot better than anyone in his entire trp. (62 out of 66) His only problem is his pt now. His weight is great. He's just a shitty runner and always has been, but he's always worked at it too. He has greatly improved the past few months with absolutely no help from his trp. He is now only a few seconds off and my husband had to start the pre-seperation classes a few days ago. He is supposed to get one more chance to take the pt test but from what has happened here so far his 1st sgt wont care if he passes or not. Having a pt test right after a rotation will be hard too because he can't do anything to improve for 2 weeks because out in "the box" they don't do anything but dress up as Iraqis lay around all day in holes hoping someone will drive by so they can set off a fake ied. Sure its helpful for the soldiers who come here to train before being deployed, but not for the soldiers who are stationed here. anywho we are going to work our asses off until the next pt test. he can shoot better than anyone in his trp and hes determined to run better than anyone in his trp so they will have absolutely no reason to beat him down and call him a shitbag

Brandi, if the CDR no shit told your spouse that he has no business with you then he has some valid complaints. I don't think that the CDR ever has the right to say that right out loud about anyone in front of the company. If he thinks it that is one thing, but to say it for all to hear is another. In reality, my spouse and I are both combat vets and we both had struggles, I broke my back and my hubs has bones rubbing on his knee, we worked and rehabed together and we are running in the 14 min 2 mile range together, smoking a pack of marlboros a day so I know it can be done.

@ the OP, I am sorry that you feel like the Army is picking on your husband. I am glad he likes his job, so go get a bike and make him run because PT is part of that job and good, bad, right, or wrong he has to do it, and if he can't he needs to be GONE! I worked 16 hour days and still found that extra hour for PT so I can imagine you already know where my sympathy is. Yes they can and will give you a PT test after leave, life is hard and if you fail a record APFT, you need to take one to be good the reality is that they could have denied his leave and prevented your wedding and honeymoon, leave is accured and allocated at the commanders discretion. What you can do now is try to help him come into compliance with the regulation.

I don't care much what people think of me, I am an asshole I don't really even have to work at it because it is what it is, @ joshfree never apologize for being who you are or saying what is on your mind, I thought your post was AWESOME and more NCOs should just state the dang facts, never say I'm sorry it is just a sign of weakness and I bet you are not weak.

YOU LEAD FROM THE FRONT!!!

Posts: 77 | Registered: 30 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post