Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Statement of charges
 Login/Join

posted
I know if a soldier is found at fault for a car accident he/she can be charged and have to pay it back. Is there a limit that the gov can deduct. FOr instances if the damages where 10 thousand dollars, the soldier has to pay all that back.

Posts: 480 | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
The soldier can be held liable for all cost of samages without deprecation, however, I have never seen this and unless the soldier did something like steal from the army.

Posts: 416 | Location: FT Monroe, VA | Registered: 17 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armymedic83:
The soldier can be held liable for all cost of samages without deprecation, however, I have never seen this and unless the soldier did something like steal from the army.

well the soldier wrecked the gov vehicle

posted Hide Post
Then soldier could be found liable for the total cost of repairs/replacement of the vehicle. But IMHO unless he was drunk and doesn't have car insurance then he shouldn't have ot pay for it all. But if he does, I think the max that they well take out a month is like 200 dollars. I know I had to pay back 2K from deployment money I was over paid and big army only took out 200 at a time till they had the sum.

Posts: 416 | Location: FT Monroe, VA | Registered: 17 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Then soldier could be found liable for the total cost of repairs/replacement of the vehicle. But IMHO unless he was drunk and doesn't have car insurance then he shouldn't have ot pay for it all. But if he does, I think the max that they well take out a month is like 200 dollars. I know I had to pay back 2K from deployment money I was over paid and big army only took out 200 at a time till they had the sum.

No he wasnt drunk , he was out looking for people to put in the army. He has the ride along insurance with USAA. But not sure how that works.

posted Hide Post
First off was the accident his fault? If it was, I would have the soldier call USAA and see how they want to handle this. Did he fill out the accident report form? That is probably another thing that they are going to want as well.

posted Hide Post
quote:
First off was the accident his fault? If it was, I would have the soldier call USAA and see how they want to handle this. Did he fill out the accident report form? That is probably another thing that they are going to want as well.

Yea it was his fault thats why Im asking about the payment procedure. I know its his fault he has to apy for it im sure. Yes USAA has been notified. I just was seeing if anyone had experince on this.

posted Hide Post
I had an XO in my old unit that had to deal with this as he backed into a pole in a GOV and all he did was called USAA and they took care of it from there.

posted Hide Post
delete account

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Maxiped,

Posts: 8 | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Well, I'm going to do my best to help you out. Since, I'm a 92Y and I deal with statement of charges and FLIPL's all the time. I must say though, I've never come across this type before (cross my fingers). But, if he is found at fault and depending on the amount. Army reg states that if it's over his base pay it has to go on a FLIPL for an investigation. After they conclude their investigation. The Soldier will recieve a memo that outlines that he was found at fault and that allows him 30 days to respond/appeal. He can also make payment agreements. I know about one soldier who made over 100k in damage to the barracks she was staying in at the time. She had to stay in the Army and had payments deducted each month.

Posts: 29 | Registered: 27 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
We had a recruiter that TOTALED over 3 GOV's all at different times. Only one was not his fault. The other times they have blamed weather and no tickets were issued to him. He never had to pay for any of the vehicles.

Posts: 2599 | Registered: 08 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gi71:
Well, I'm going to do my best to help you out. Since, I'm a 92Y and I deal with statement of charges and FLIPL's all the time. I must say though, I've never come across this type before (cross my fingers). But, if he is found at fault and depending on the amount. Army reg states that if it's over his base pay it has to go on a FLIPL for an investigation. After they conclude their investigation. The Soldier will recieve a memo that outlines that he was found at fault and that allows him 30 days to respond/appeal. He can also make payment agreements. I know about one soldier who made over 100k in damage to the barracks she was staying in at the time. She had to stay in the Army and had payments deducted each month.

Whats the reg. I know I refrenced it and it said a soldier couldnt be charged for more than over his base pay except for certain circumnstances and this wasnt one of them.

posted Hide Post
You can find it at AR 735-5 ch. 12

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gi71:
You can find it at AR 735-5 ch. 12

Yea I know that reg, thats the one I looked at and per regulation soldier cant be charged over one months base pay unless certain restrictions apply. The one you explained is one that can require that a soldier be charged over base pay but the wreck of a gov does not apply. Unless you can show me directly where it states it.

posted Hide Post
I wanted you to look at 12-1 table of contents. To help give you a better idea of a DA 362 and DD 200. It lays out a chart you can look over. But, I think more of what you're looking for can be found at ch 14-26.

"14–26. During military operations other than war

The actions prescribed by this para apply only to units and activities participating in military operations other than war
at the direction of HQDA. When Government property is lost, or destroyed in military operations other than war, the
commander of the operation will cause a DD Form 200 to be initiated. If the loss involves damage to Government
property, a damage statement prepared by the commander in accordance with para 14–18 will be used when the
preliminary investigation by the commander reveals no negligence or willful misconduct on the part of U.S. soldiers or
DA civilian employees. If negligence or willful misconduct on the part a U.S. soldier(s) or DA civilian employee(s) is
known or suspected, a DD Form 200 will be prepared. When it is deemed necessary to abandoned Government
property, the procedures in para 14–7 will apply. When small quantities of small arms ammunition become lost or are
expended, follow the procedures in subparagraph h, below.
a. The DD Form 200 should be initiated as soon as possible, but no later than 5 days after the discovery of the loss.
The individual having the most knowledge of the circumstances and facts concerning the loss should be the person
tasked to prepare the statement for block 9 and complete blocks 11a through e. The DD Form 200 should be prepared
in 3 copies using the example in figure 14–1 as a guide. The date and circumstances must state-—"

With that said. If the soldier is found at fault, YES you can pay the total cost.