New
Find
Notify
Tools

ERB Question
 Login/Join

Picture of sysalis
posted
What does the code "9Z" mean on the ERB in Section III. The block says "Reenl Elig/Prohib 9Z". Does this mean I am barred from reenlisting, or what?

"The most dangerous thing in the world is a second lieutenant with a map and a compass."
-Murphy's Law of Combat

Posts: 700 | Location: USAG-Daegu, South Korea | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of acftgrunt
posted Hide Post
The 9Z code is for "Weight Disqualification".

Here is a list of codes that apply to the Reenl Elig/Prohib.
Immediate Reenlistment Prohibition Codes (ERUP)
ERUP CODE DESCRIPTION
Priority Precedence
10 No Disqualification
11 Life Cycle Manning Requirement Not Met
9A Lost Time Disqualification. Time lost because of AWOL
9D Pending Security Clearance Determination
9E Physical Readiness Disqualification
9G Grade. Exceeds total years AFS for pay grade
9H Pending MMRB/MEB/PEB
9I Non Promotable Status
9J Field Bar to Reenlistment - Approved Retirement
9K Field Bar to Reenlistment
9L Department of the Army Bar to Reenlistment
9N Courts-Martial Conviction
9O Does or Will Exceed Maximum Age
9P Loss of Qualification in PMOS
9Q Refusal to Meet Length of Service Requirement - DCSS
9S Conscientious Objector (except CMF 91)
9U Unacceptable Weapons Qualification
9V Pending Separation
9X Other Disqualification - Not Otherwise Identified
9Y Retirement. Application for retirement has been approved
9Z Weight Disqualification

Posts: 92 | Location: WAAF, HI | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Career Counselor
Picture of ArmyReenlistment
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sysalis:
What does the code "9Z" mean on the ERB in Section III. The block says "Reenl Elig/Prohib 9Z". Does this mean I am barred from reenlisting, or what?

You are or were flagged for overweight. You cannot reenlist until you meet the Army height/weight standards.

If you are no longer flagged for being overweight, you can bring the flag removal (DA Form 628) to your Career Counselor so that he/she can update your ERUP code to reflect a 10.

It's YOUR career! Take control of it before someone else does.
http://www.ArmyReenlistment.com
http://www.facebook.com/ArmyReenlistment

Posts: 6763 | Location: Joint Base Myer-Henderson Hall | Registered: 31 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of SatcomSoldier
posted Hide Post
Were you administered a tape test and counseled for being overweight?

Posts: 126 | Location: Fort Gordon, Georgia | Registered: 07 December 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of sysalis
posted Hide Post
Tape test: yes.
Counsel of any kind: no.

I am trying to bring this up to my commander and 1SG. My PLT SGT and squad leader told that when I bring it up to them that I have the reg that states I need to be counseled before flagged, which I did find. I'm just waiting for them to actually come in the office for more than 5 minutes.

Yes, I know they are busy, and I can wait. I just don't want to go to Fort Bragg with a flag that wasn't put on properly.

"The most dangerous thing in the world is a second lieutenant with a map and a compass."
-Murphy's Law of Combat

Posts: 700 | Location: USAG-Daegu, South Korea | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of SSG Hammy
posted Hide Post
Your commander should have counseled you when you busted tape. However, do you honestly feel that you should not be flagged. You apparently don't meet the army standards for body fat percentage. An easy way to remedy this whole situation is to get in, and remain in compliance with the army body fat percentage standards. You said you don't want to report to Bragg being flagged; it's in your hands, make it happen.

Posts: 215 | Location: Ft. Lewis | Registered: 24 October 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of SatcomSoldier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tape test: yes.
Counsel of any kind: no.

I am trying to bring this up to my commander and 1SG. My PLT SGT and squad leader told that when I bring it up to them that I have the reg that states I need to be counseled before flagged, which I did find. I'm just waiting for them to actually come in the office for more than 5 minutes.

Yes, I know they are busy, and I can wait. I just don't want to go to Fort Bragg with a flag that wasn't put on properly.

Well just because you weren't counseled doesn't mean the flag will be lifted. Technically, the command has the right to flag a soldier at anytime without them even knowing about it. It's only required for failing a tape test because you are referred to a medical professional to be screened for a possible genetic disorder and to see a nutritionist. That is a transferable flag meaning that it will follow you around from unit to unit until you can meet the weight control standards and have it removed.

Posts: 126 | Location: Fort Gordon, Georgia | Registered: 07 December 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of sysalis
posted Hide Post
That's the thing. They never even referred me to a doctor or nutritionist before flagging me. They basically said f*** it and flagged me.

My family has a history of weight problems and my unit just doesn't care enough to get me an appointment. I've tried myself but the person on the desk keeps telling me I need my CoC to schedule it.

-Murphy's Law of Combat

Picture of SatcomSoldier
posted Hide Post
That's correct, you'll need a memo signed by your commander. Use your NCO support channel and open door policy to correct the situation. Someone is bound to listen to you and address your problem if you go about it the right way. Just climb the ladder until you find the individual willing to help you out.

Career Counselor
posted Hide Post
quote:
My family has a history of weight problems

My family had a history of racism ... does this mean I'm gonna be a racist? Maybe I broke that "family history"? Roll Eyes

Posts: 6763 | Location: Joint Base Myer-Henderson Hall | Registered: 31 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of sysalis
posted Hide Post
You have a point... but I have shown some of the signs my family has.

-Murphy's Law of Combat

Career Counselor
posted Hide Post
I'm not a doctor and I am pretty confident that family history plays a part in heart disease, cancer, and many other health problems, but I cannot understand how being overweight is caused by "family history".

We need to grow up and quit blaming our parents for everything. Put the fast and processed foods down and eat smarter; you'll drop 10 pounds in about 2 weeks.

Picture of k9nermp
posted Hide Post
Yup cut out the fast foods, soda and all that jazz. oddly enough eat healthy snacks throughout the day it keeps your system active rather then when you eat your 3 meals a day. I'm not saying veg out I'm saying a health bar, fruit.

Thankfully I have never had an issue with my weight. But I have cut out soda every now and then and drop like 2+ pounds just like that, give it a few days of course but it will help a little.

As for family history, actually all the females in my family are generally a little on the larger size. then there is me, almost forced to eat at the chow hall a few years ago because of my weight. Trust me I eat anything I want, so like AR says family history can be blamed for somethings but weight maybe not soo much but I'm no a Doc.

The average Shepard can run 35mph, can you??

Posts: 231 | Location: Ft Jackson | Registered: 25 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
My husband was overweight at one point. He used the excuse since I was pregnant and I ate so did he. I would always lose my weight and he wouldn't. He had a short period of time to lose it. This is what I did and it might help.

1, Eat tons of chicken and fish
2. Salad Salad Salad oil and vinegar
3. Eat Breakfast always and I don't mean Mcdonald's breakfast
4. Drink water. If you hate water buy the crystal light packs and add them to a bottle of water. If you must drink a Soda diet caffiene free.
5. Excercise at least three-four times a week. Even if it's just walking it helps.

These are just the basics. I assure you drink the water, excercise, and eat the protein you will lose it fast. Any little thing you do to try can help. If you like pasta switch to wheat pasta. If you like Mayo try Mustard. get my drift. Lil things make the difference. Good Luck and let us know how things go for you.

Posts: 65 | Registered: 17 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArmyReenlistment:
quote:
My family has a history of weight problems

My family had a history of racism ... does this mean I'm gonna be a racist? Maybe I broke that "family history"? Roll Eyes

To ArmyReenlistment,

You do a great job with cousleing soldiers with Army Regs on reenlistment and I hope you contiune with that. I hope in the future that you leave the heavy hand to others.

TO sysalis,

Consult FM21-20 and your NCO CoC. I will not accuse you of falling into what you family has done in the past. You are in the military now and it is now time for you to meet that standard. I assume you already have since you have passed Basic Training. (?) If so, then you know what do to. If not, consult your NCO CoC. Good luck!

Posts: 27 | Registered: 25 February 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post