ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  General Community Discussion  Hop To Forums  General Discussion    NCO's disrespecting junior soldiers
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NCO's disrespecting junior soldiers
 Login/Join

posted
I have been in the army for three years now and every unit i have been to overlooks or condons this type of "abuse of power". I wonder why when a NCO gets disrespected heads start rolling and sh*t starts rolling down hill when a NCO can just say anything that comes to mind (except E.O., sexual harrassment) to a E-4 below. I wonder whats that all about!

Most NCO's say whatever they want and nothing happens. What happend to respect going both ways and the 7 army values!!!

Posts: 290 | Location: MOPP 4 | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
[b:bd4f412641]I think that you are going to have to be a little more specific on "an NCO saying whatever he wants to". Don't get me wrong...I have seen some NCO's do and say some wrong things in the past and I see things tosday that borders on "Crossing the Line". Some older NCO's have what we call a "Tough Love" approach when dealing with soldiers. I have not had a soldier yet that I haven't had to get knee deep in their butt at one time or another.[/b:bd4f412641]

Posts: 5 | Location: Germany | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Well what I mean is that you know that an NCO can misunderstand what you said and think its disrespect. As to a NCO cursing at you and just compleatly disreaspectfull.

Posts: 290 | Location: MOPP 4 | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
most NCOs that I know are that way because when they were E4s, that's the way they were treated. As soon as the NCO walks away, they think

"I can't wait till I'm an NCO so I can treat Soldiers that way."

instead of thinking:

"I can't wait till I'm an NCO, I won't treat my Soldiers that way."

Posts: 941 | Location: Joint Base Lewis-McChord, WA | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
When did the Army start allowing these soft a** Soldiers in.. Damn, there just curse words. They can't hurt you.. Stop being so damn sensitive...
I'm sick and tired of all these sensitive a** Soldiers that the Army has. Always whining about being cursed at. If you can't handle someone cursing at you, how the hell can you expect to handle an enemy shooting at you. Are you going to walk over to him and ask him to be more sensitive to your needs. BLAH!!!!!!!!

[b:03482bfc36]Grow some thicker skin and accomplish the damn mission.[/b:03482bfc36]

Posts: 42 | Registered: 29 September 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Its got nothing to do with being soft or sensitive. Its about professionalism. Thats a lesson I learned the hard way. As a junior NCO I used the same approach, and it got my section no where. Now that I'm a junior enlisted again, I'm looking from the bottom up and can see what a difference a professional speaking and acting NCO can make over one that uses profanity. Now I can't wait to earn my stripes again and do a much better job this time.

Posts: 153 | Location: Fort Livingroom, IA | Registered: 03 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I always believed that physical violence (physical or verbal) is the very last resort, when all other means have been used. So, when I recieve a phone call from one of my 1SGs, who starts the conversation with: "what the f....", I inform him, that I find this language inappropriate and suggest that he adjusts, if not - down goes the phone. He'll call back later, but it will be my CPT on the phone this time.
It is not a matter of being sensitive, it is a matter of treating others the way you wish to be treated. Remember that one particular Army Value? It's called RESPECT. And, sure as hell, you will not get one from cussing out everything that moves in your vincinity.

Posts: 112 | Location: Korea | Registered: 20 May 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Well Personally, I feel if I've managed to screw up bad enough to where my 1SG needs to start cursing at me, then I probably deserve it anyway.. I don't know, maybe it's just that I have a thicker skin and don't think about it. I just think that todays Soldiers are to concerned with the words used and not getting their feeling hurt, than with the message being sent.

posted Hide Post
profanity is a sign of a weak vocabulary.

I can handle people cursing at me with no problem. Does that mean I have to put up with it? No. Profanity is also not the only way to disrespect a Soldier.

How do you feel when the CSM disrespects you?

Posts: 941 | Location: Joint Base Lewis-McChord, WA | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Life_sentence, it is not the case. I am paralegal and work currently with Artillery units. All male, all tough, all whoa.. That's just the way they talk, they don't even think about it. Do I have to put up with that? I don't think so.

Never been screwed up soldier, they practically praise me here, but things like that make me..uncomfortable.

Posts: 112 | Location: Korea | Registered: 20 May 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
[quote:18ffff83e4="Bradmeister"]

How do you feel when the CSM disrespects you?[/quote:18ffff83e4]

I've never done anything to make a CSM disrespect me.

I don't think anyone should be disrespected.. I just think what goes for disrespect today, and what was considered disrespect before has changed drastically. I don't condone anyone calling a Soldier out of his/her name, or getting in a Soldiers face and screaming at the top of their lungs.. That's uncalled for. But I think what some of these Soldiers call disrespect today is ridiculous.

Example.. I asked a neighbor who lives in my barracks (who I out rank) to turn down his stereo. He refused.. I then told that Soldier to turn it down. The next day, this Soldier goes to the 1SG telling him I disrespected him by using my rank to make him turn down his stereo because I didn't like his choice of music. He said I was trying to make him look bad in front of his friends.. He failed to mention that everyone in the hallway could hear the stereo, nor did he mention that I asked him 1st. He truly felt like I disrespected him, by using my rank to tell him to turn down the stereo, even though I asked him man to man before that.

posted Hide Post
Life Sentence I understand some of what you saying but, NCO's have to realize that their are other ways to get their point across. You might not be bothered by the fact you got cussed out but you have to realize that I am still a person that should get respect just like a NCO expects and demands it. I am in way shape or form a soft @ss, I got my start in Infantry and Artillery units but I was still shown respect from my unit's NCO's not because they where "cool guys" but they where PVT's once and it was the right thing to do!

Some NCO's today think they can walk on water and its just not true.

posted Hide Post
Ok, first off, I'm not an NCO. But I have been put in an NCO slot, in which, I have 4 other soldiers under me.

To the soldiers:

Remember, that your NCO/leadership has your life in there hands at all times NO matter what your MOS is. You were trained infantry first, and that is what you will always be. With that said, your NCO's are NOT your friend. Personally, I hate to hear that, and REALLY hate to say it, but its true (remember basic?). On the other hand, me and several other NCO's are good friends, but when we get to work, its all business. Whatever happens at work or at the bar or at the house, stays at work or at the bar or at the house. With that said also, and slightly off subject, keep personal stuff at home, and don't let it affect work duties. I know, as an E4 telling other E4's what to do, I sometimes have to be an a$$hole to get my point across. Sometimes this involves strong words, or many strong words strung together to make a strong sentence Smiler . In most cases, I really don't want to be that way. I always hated NCO's being an a$$ to me, so I always told myself "I'm never going to turn into anything like that NCO". But now, sometimes it is nesessary. People who come into the military these days, aren't cut out for it. Many people are just here for the college money, or cuz they didn't have anything better to do, or cuz they couldn't hold a job, or whatever. Almost no one comes in the military cuz they WANTED too. I didn't. I came in cuz I thought JROTC was fun and if I could do that and get paid for it, why not. I learned quick. Real quick. 3 years later, I'm here. On my second tour to Iraq. With my third team of soldiers. Well, I'm sure I could keep this up for a long time, but I think I'll shut up now.

Next:
To the NCO's:

There is no need for unesessary bull$hit. If a job only takes 2 people, why keep the whole platoon of 30 some people around? To me, that looks bad on you. If I were, say an LT and came up and saw 28 people standing around, and 2 people working, I would find something for you to make them do. Sounds like something I would do. Take care of your soldiers, and they will take care of you. Yes, there's some that will screw you. I'm sorry, but yelling at them more will only piss them off more, and they will screw you more. I do it, so they will too. Again, I'm sure I could go on this forever, but I'll leave it be.

Good night all. Long convoy ahead tomarrow. Later

Posts: 22 | Location: Kuwait | Registered: 28 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
This whole thread could have been avoided if those enlisted soldiers simply remembered their 4th general order...

I will walk my post from flank to flank and take no #%$^ from any rank!

Posts: 4 | Registered: 04 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Look I'm an NCO in the Infantry, as far as all soldiers are infantry that is BS. My job cannot be learned by reading a book it takes years of experience to become proficient. You can tell the difference by looking at the casualties in Iraq. Infantry convoys rarely get ambushed by the enemy. Why???? Because we pull security and our soldiers follow orders without question. As for the subject at hand, being yelled at is part of any job. Being a NONCOM is about training soldiers. If you yell and cuss and stress soldiers out during training the stress they face in combat will pale in comparision. Respect does go both ways, however all soldiers are different and some hard headed soldiers need to be cussed at to get a point across. I know because I was a soldier Like that. If my SGT didn't scare the hell out of me then I would not be where I am today. Besides we are in the business of fighting war not exactly the most politically correct occupation no matter how much the polliticians try to make it that way. " An Army without Profanity couldn't fight it's way out of a piss soaked paper bag." Oh that was one of the greatest generals ever to serve in the United States Army..... General George S. Patton. You might have heard of him.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 12 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post