Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DITY MOVE DISASTER
 Login/Join

posted
Hey, new here, i recently ETS'ed from the army. was stationed at Ft. benning GA. did a Dity move back home to Buffalo, NY got an advance on my move to pay for all the expenses that were needed for a long trip over 1,000 miles a moveing truck and trailer for my car. in all totaled about 700 USD and i also spent 500 USD on gas the trip up.

now they paid me $7,400 for the advance. when i got the paper work i was kind of put off because of the ammount that they gave me. i asked 5 people that worked in the travel office and at finance if this was correct.. they told me it was and signed off on it. so to me this was huge spent half of it on the move and pocketed the rest a good save up for me and my wife's new start in civilian life. about 2 weeks after i mailed my receipts and weight tickets in i called the travel office and asked if my documents got there in time and everything was ok. she told me that they had gotten there but this lady said there was a problem, she told me that i was not suppose to get that much money. i was like ok how much was i suppose to get? she said $6,600 for 8,000 LBS which i maxed out. im like ok? i told her i asked 5 different people and they told me it was ok? she said well the computer must have been messed up that day. im like WTF ok. so i figure i owe about $800 for there stupidity. which i chalked up to being ok. and they would probably take it out of my last paycheck.

so. i get a letter in the mail about a week ago from DFAS giveing a low down on the advance and what i got and suppose to get and it said 6600 and i got 7400 but said nothing else.

today i get a letter from dfas stating i owe $2,777 from the dity move? im like WTF? i feel like im being pulled in a big scam and honestly i am willing to fight this in court

anyway anybody have any insight? of similar DFAS BULL they know about?

oh and also i never got a final paycheck which should of been over $2800 and now theses leeches want me to pay 2777 buck by november 28th all at once and not give me my last paycheck? because i ETS'ed.

guess this is what i deserve for giving 5 years of my life to my country.

Posts: 3 | Registered: 01 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TransAm95NCO
posted Hide Post
they did the same thing to me, gave me DLA, I specifically asked "are you sure I am authorized this?" they kept saying yes, I put in for it, I got it, a year later they are taking it out saying I was not authorized.

So b/c of someones mistake's I am paying for it...

Lead by Example!!!

Posts: 3915 | Location: Somewhere in the US | Registered: 13 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of AutobahnSHO
posted Hide Post
If you're given an ADVANCE it means DON'T SPEND IT ALL-

You can look up the regs as far as what you're allowed (by rank) and how much it costs etc.. for a move from pointA to pointB...

They might have screwed up the final paperwork: maybe a receipt got lost, etc... so you could definitely pursue it with Another transportation office...

Be Proud of what you do- and do it Well! ~me

Posts: 5282 | Location: Ft Gordon (Again!!!) :-| | Registered: 22 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of GoSignal
posted Hide Post
We've had issues in the past where Soldiers were given DLA at the outgoing station and then it was taken away at the incoming station when they reviewed the paperwork. Was this your first housing move with the Army? -or did you deal with similar situations in previous moves? it sucks, that is for sure - but the point is the advance will just about never be the same amount as your actual move, at least in my experience.

I am headed over to transportation in a few days for my next move, oh no.

"It is not titles that honor men, but men that honor titles." -Niccolo Machiavelli, 1515

Posts: 123 | Registered: 25 February 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Yea same thing happened to me Ft Gordons Finance office is HORRIBLE. I DITY moved from Ft Hood, TX to Ft Gordon, GA basically it works out to $1 per lb for 1000 miles. I had 7500 pounds, got a $2800 advance and then they told me I owed them $845, So I went and tracked down my DITY packet that Finance said they didnt have (which they did) and they only credited me for 1500 pounds. The weight tickets were clearly marked in the packet but because of a Lazy civilian whos doesnt give 2 s*&^% I have to wait an additional month to receieve the money owed to me. I would call abck that finance and ask for a copy of your DD Form 2278 and in block 11 will be the calculations your fianace sent to DFAS. And hopefully since I made such a stink about gettin hosed we will see if they dont "lose" my paperwork again!

Good luck

"Sometimes the roots of democracy have to be watered with the blood of patriots"

Posts: 248 | Location: Ft Hood! | Registered: 04 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AutobahnSHO:
If you're given an ADVANCE it means DON'T SPEND IT ALL-

You can look up the regs as far as what you're allowed (by rank) and how much it costs etc.. for a move from pointA to pointB...

They might have screwed up the final paperwork: maybe a receipt got lost, etc... so you could definitely pursue it with Another transportation office...

no the point is i shouldent have to worry about "SPENDING IT ALL" when 5 or 6 supposedly "qualified people" looked over the paper work and told me that was the correct amount. this process goes through a chain am i correct? so PEOPLE look at this paperwork for mistakes error and so on.. there is NO REASON why this should happen. and i am not paying for stupidity on others part. no way no thanks.

this is a prime example of why civilians should not handle things like this. there should be career military personnel who deal with finance issues. all you have now is over paid lazy civilians who obviously do not know how to do their job and its screwing over soldiers.

Posts: 3 | Registered: 01 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Just as an FYI for people that may be reading this later and considering a DITY, it's not a set amount per pound. The farther you go, the more you make. We PCSed from Bragg to McPherson (a little over 350 miles,) had about 4,000 lbs and only made about $2500. However BIL PCSed from Meade to Goodfellow AFB (dead center of Texas) and made about $6000 with the same amount of pounds.

And I agree with you MPKEV, isn't that their job? To actually know what the hell they are talking about?

Google is your friend!

Posts: 162 | Location: Fort McPherson, GA | Registered: 26 August 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of SSG Prophet
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eureeka8:
from Meade to Goodfellow AFB

Instructor? November or Papa?

Posts: 339 | Location: Ft. Meade, MD | Registered: 08 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SSG Prophet:
quote:
Originally posted by Eureeka8:
from Meade to Goodfellow AFB

Instructor? November or Papa?

Crypto instructor

Google is your friend!

Posts: 162 | Location: Fort McPherson, GA | Registered: 26 August 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of AllGaveSomeAndSomeGaveAll
posted Hide Post
At least you got some money for your move. My move was such a disaster. I got like 600 only and they ended up owing me like 1600 that I will never see. The move probably cost me like 1500 at least. Oh well, at least i learned to never make the same mistake again. DITY moves can be very risky if you are not sure on how to do it. At the time I obviously didn't know how to do it well. My advice: weigh your vehicle at the starting point and at the destination point. Every time you move from one post to another.

Posts: 117 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 21 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Hey, to all those that feel bad for what has happened to them just remember it could be alot worse, i did a DITY move hoping to make a little money, i moved from Ft. Benning to Ft. Lewis (ya that's almost 3,000 miles) i got "authorized" 3,200$ for my DITY move. I wound up spending $1600 on my move because it wasn't enough to cover everything right away. Then about a year later, once i had already been at Lewis for 2 years i got hit with a bill stating that i owe the army all that back. because the paperwork wasn't done right, they said that they had no copies of the weight receipts. I had got a divorce in that time, deployed also, so, i didn't have all my paperwork in hand to fight this ( my fault), well i had ended up paying it all back. So, long story short, thanks to good ol' Uncle Sam and all of its derelict bastard workers, I paid for my own move across the entire United States.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 25 February 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post