ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  General Community Discussion  Hop To Forums  General Discussion    Better clairity on Overseas Service Ribbon
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Better clairity on Overseas Service Ribbon
 Login/Join

posted
What is the criteria for award of the Overseas Service Ribbon if a soldier is all ready awarded a Iraq or Afghanistan Campaign Medal?

I noticed in AR 600-8-22 it says normal tour length, would this mean a 6 month or a 1 year period as well?

Any help would be good but regs would be even better.

Posts: 2612 | Registered: 08 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
you should be able to wear the both. I,ve been to AFG and IRQ and i have 2 OSRs as well

Posts: 73 | Registered: 03 November 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of squirrely
posted Hide Post
I was always informed that you receive 1 OSR per tour in either Afghanistan or Iraq so if you have done one tour in each place you put a numeral 2 on your ribbon.

If you have done a tour in say, Germany, Hawaii, Alaska, Korea, or Italy, you would receive another numeral, however i belive that a "tour" is 3 years

Posts: 59 | Location: Schofield Barracks, HI | Registered: 07 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Some Soldiers in my class are uncertain the length of service they would need to be consistently overseas.

So if I am understanding correctly Since I have a ACM for 6 month rotation, An ICM for 1 year in Iraq, and one month in Quatar. Should I be eligible to wear an OSR with apurtanences
?

Picture of machsoldier
posted Hide Post
Check out AR 614-30.

Posts: 278 | Location: Center of the Universe----Ft. Bragg, NC | Registered: 29 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of CrisTama
posted Hide Post
quote:

If you have done a tour in say, Germany, Hawaii, Alaska, Korea, or Italy, you would receive another numeral, however i belive that a "tour" is 3 years

If is an unaccompanied tour in Korea, shouldn't that be 1 year?

Posts: 652 | Location: All over the world | Registered: 03 August 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of erikwithak86
posted Hide Post
For a combat zone it's 9 months consecutive or 11 cumulative.

*edit - On the HRC website hit the Awards/Decorations drop down menu near the top left and the select Awards.

On the left hand side there is a link to Frequently Asked Questions. Click that link and there is an FAQ for the OSR. It will answer all your questions.

Posts: 707 | Registered: 18 June 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Ahh yes erik with a K what would this forum do without you. Thanks. I wish I had about 5 NCOs like ya coming up.

Picture of sysalis
posted Hide Post
I have 2 OSRs, one for Korea and one for my 6 months in Afghanistan.

I was still given the OSR for Afghanistan because my tour was cut short due to the troop reduction, which therefore was out of my hands. So that's another instance you could get the OSR for.

"The most dangerous thing in the world is a second lieutenant with a map and a compass."
-Murphy's Law of Combat

Posts: 700 | Location: USAG-Daegu, South Korea | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of erikwithak86
posted Hide Post
Yes that's a caveat to the 9 consecutive/11 cumulative rule. If your tour is cut short for reasons out of your control then you still qualify for the OSR i.e. troop reductions, medevaced out of theater etc.

Picture of erikwithak86
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Corvette1140:
Ahh yes erik with a K what would this forum do without you. Thanks. I wish I had about 5 NCOs like ya coming up.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erikwithak86:
For a combat zone it's 9 months consecutive or 11 cumulative.

*edit - On the HRC website hit the Awards/Decorations drop down menu near the top left and the select Awards.

On the left hand side there is a link to Frequently Asked Questions. Click that link and there is an FAQ for the OSR. It will answer all your questions.

The 9 month 11 month thing does not count for Iraq and Afghanistan (read the FAQ and reg a little closer, but you were on the right track). There is no service time requirements for there. If you complete your tour (regardless of length), you get the OSR. That is based on everything I read. I can quote the applicable sections, but it would take a bit to pull it out. If someone disagrees, please feel free to tell me where in the reg it says different. Hope this helps out. There is a lot of confusion on this and frankly the reg is pretty ambiguous about this. It should be spelled out more clearly. Oh, as an example I have several Soldiers (including myself) who got an OSR for 5-7 month deployments to Afghanistan.

Posts: 18 | Location: Unknown | Registered: 30 March 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of erikwithak86
posted Hide Post
Question 4: How long do I have to serve in Iraq or Afghanistan to be awarded the OSR?
Answer 4: Overseas tour credit is outlined in AR 614-30. Provided below is a clarification statement the proponent to AR 614-30 has provided our office:

"Soldiers who serve a minimum of 11 cumulative months or 9 continuous months in a TCS/TDY status get credit for a completed short tour. Your reference is AR 614-30 (23 Sep 04), Table 3-2, rules 5 and 7. Iraq and Afghanistan are considered isolated areas where tour lengths have not been established by DOD; therefore, the Army gives equivalent credit for periods of TCS/TDY. Also, since there is no official established DOD tour length, Soldiers cannot serve in Iraq in PCS status. To determine the overseas tour lengths refer to Table 1, Appendix Q, Joint Federal Travel Regulations (JFTR), Volume 1. You will not find a tour length for Afghanistan or Iraq."

Seems pretty clear cut to me. So if you have an OSR for 7 months in Afghanistan and unless the tour was ended prematurely for reason out of your control you shouldn't have one. Please show me where it says "regardless of length" when not referring to tours that were cut short.

posted Hide Post
No, I was serious, I wish I had about 5 NCO's that shot answers from regs like yourself, rather than from the hip, or because I said so. Whats worse is when maximum confidence is added and you have an NCO that spits continuously wrong info to subordinates.

Picture of erikwithak86
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Corvette1140:
No, I was serious, I wish I had about 5 NCO's that shot answers from regs like yourself, rather than from the hip, or because I said so. Whats worse is when maximum confidence is added and you have an NCO that spits continuously wrong info to subordinates.

Ha thanks man, I get it wrong sometimes, but it's just because I remember it wrong or something. I try to keep up on regs, especially stuff like uniforms/awards because it's easy and it's stuff that applies to all soldiers.