Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NCOER question
 Login/Join

posted
Has anybody else here had an NCOER that they didn't like and refused to sign it because the NCOER wasn't really good? Thats what I am going through right now I received an NCOER and was asked to sign it and I told them I will not sign it because the dates of counseling are incorrect. I wasn't counseled at all and I am supposed to PCS 07MAY07. So what is going to happen? It is just something a few instructors in WLC told me about NCOER that if you don't like it and you weren't counseled on the dates listed on the NCOER then don't sign it. Anybody that can give advice I'd appreciate it. Thank You

Posts: 264 | Registered: 10 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of PA_in_2ID
posted Hide Post
Did you ask to be counseled or bring it up...when your couselings were due?

Posts: 563 | Location: Camp Hovey, Korea | Registered: 23 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Career Counselor
Picture of ArmyReenlistment
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frank82:
Has anybody else here had an NCOER that they didn't like and refused to sign it because the NCOER wasn't really good?

DA Form 2166-8, Mar 2006 (NCOER) states:
e. RATED NCO: I understand my signature does not constitute agreement or disagreement with the evaluations of the rater and senior rater. I further understand my signature verifies that the administrative data in Part I, the rating officials in Part II, the duty description to include the counseling dates in Part III, and the APFT and height/weight entries in Part IVc are correct. I have seen the completed report. I am aware of the appeals process of AR 623-3.

Are you upset about the counseling dates or the actual evaluation you received? Confused

It's YOUR career! Take control of it before someone else does.
http://www.ArmyReenlistment.com
http://www.facebook.com/ArmyReenlistment

Posts: 7447 | Location: Joint Base Myer-Henderson Hall | Registered: 31 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I HAVE THE ANSWER FOR YOU BELOW AS A NCO YOU NEED TO ENSURE THAT YOU GET COUNSELED IT IS PART YOUR JOB AS WELL TO REMIND YOU RATER OF HIS DUTY IF HE FAILS TELL YOUR CHAIN OF COMMAND. ALSO RESEARCH THE REGS USING THE ARMY PUBS WEBSITE.

1–11. Commander’s/Commandant’s Inquiry
When it is brought to the attention of a commander or commandant that a report rendered by a subordinate or by a
member of a subordinate command may be illegal, unjust, or otherwise in violation of this regulation, that commander
will conduct an inquiry into the matter. The commander’s inquiry will be confined to matters related to the clarity of
the evaluation report, the facts contained in the report, the compliance of the evaluation with polices and procedures
established by HQDA, and the conduct of the rated Soldier and members of the rating chain. The official does not have
the authority to direct that an evaluation be changed; command influence may not be used to alter the honest evaluation
of a rated Soldier by a rating official. The results of the Commander’s Inquiry, however, may be provided to the rating
chain and the rated Soldier at the appointing official’s discretion. The procedures used by the commander or
commandant to process such an inquiry are described in chapter 6.

THIS IS ON PAGE 45 OF 119 IN AR 623-3 EVALUATION REPORTING SYSTEM DATED 15 MAY 2006

1) The rated Soldier and members of the rating chain are the only authorized persons to sign an evaluation report.
Rated Soldiers and rating officials will not sign blank evaluation reports or have someone sign for them.
(2) Rated Soldiers will always be the last individual to sign the evaluation. The rated Soldier’s signature will verify
the accuracy of the administrative data in Part I, to include nonrated time (see fig 3–1); the rating officials in Part II;
the APFT and height and weight data; and that the rated Soldier has seen the completed report. This action increases
administrative accuracy of the report and will normally preclude an appeal by the rated Soldier based on inaccurate
administrative data. In the event the rated Soldier is not available or refuses to sign, senior raters will provide an
explanation in their narrative or bullet comments. If significant changes are made to a final evaluation after the rated
soldier has signed it, the senior rater will ensure the rated soldier has an opportunity to see the evaluation.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 26 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArmyReenlistment:
quote:
Has anybody else here had an NCOER that they didn't like and refused to sign it because the NCOER wasn't really good?

DA Form 2166-8, Mar 2006 (NCOER) states:
e. RATED NCO: I understand my signature does not constitute agreement or disagreement with the evaluations of the rater and senior rater. I further understand my signature verifies that the administrative data in Part I, the rating officials in Part II, the duty description to include the counseling dates in Part III, and the APFT and height/weight entries in Part IVc are correct. I have seen the completed report. I am aware of the appeals process of AR 623-3.

Are you upset about the counseling dates or the actual evaluation you received? Confused

Both. I'm not gonna sign it because the counseling dates are just something that is made up.

Career Counselor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Both. I'm not gonna sign it because the counseling dates are just something that is made up.

So, are you saying if you received a SPECTACULAR NCOER and earned all Excellences, you wouldn't sign it because of inaccurate counseling dates? Eeker Confused

Posts: 7447 | Location: Joint Base Myer-Henderson Hall | Registered: 31 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Yeah I would sign it. They should do a better job and give me the NCOER I deserve instead of throwing some last second slop together. I guess you would have to see the NCOER to understand.

Picture of ssg_rivera
posted Hide Post
Dude, you sure you deserve better than what you received? PPL usually are very lineant on NCOERs. In any case, they will submitted with or w/o your sig. You can appeal it later though...

82ND ABN DIV LRSD

Posts: 528 | Location: Ft. Bragg, NC | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Career Counselor
posted Hide Post
If you really believe the NCOER needs to have stronger bullets, bring this up to your rater ... with hard evidence as to what you did.

I had a rater a few years back that wasn't very good with bullets on NCOERs. She did up the evaluation and asked if this represented what I had done over the past six months. I printed off my personal working NCOER and we compared it to what she had. Even though she was my supervisor, it had slipped her mind (or she wasn't using a working NCOER) that I had ran the Army 10-Miler or that I had written four articles for the post newspaper or that I had personally assisted six sergeants making staff sergeant. Many bullets were added to the NCOER.

There are a total of 15 bullets that will capture your accomplishments over your rated period. If you wait until your NCOER is due to look for bullets, you're doing an injustice to yourself. Keep a working NCOER with you and go about your daily duties and do more than your job; go above and beyond ... then write it down.

Picture of sentinelseventeen
posted Hide Post
How crucial is the first NCOER?

Also, how often do you get NCOERs?

Posts: 21 | Location: United States | Registered: 29 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Career Counselor
posted Hide Post
First and subsequent NCOERs are very important.

You receive an NCOER at least every 12-months ... but can be 90 days with a change of rater (there is an 60-day option which is rare).

Picture of Wolve
posted Hide Post
I guess all NCOERs are important, but you shouldn't base your career on NCOER bullets. I joke around when I get tasked with a duty that it'll be a nice little Addutional Duty Appointment for my NCOER, but seriously being an NCO isn't about your NCOER.
As for your questions, it seems like they were answered appropriately.

SGT Maliepaard
=======================
37F - PSYOP SGT

Posts: 1569 | Location: Fort Bragg, NC | Registered: 13 September 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of PA_in_2ID
posted Hide Post
AR

But with that question....when a junior NCO ask's "how important is my first NCOER"

Yes they are all important.

However as a SENIOR NCO...when the boards meet for SFC/MSG/SGM.....I would assume (correct me if i am wrong)..that the MORE recent NCOER's have the MOST weight, whereas your early SGT/E5 NCOERS will have less weight. I have "heard"...yes operative word being "heard" that they look at mainly your last 3-5 NCOERS...so if someone has 7-8 NCOERS when they go to the SFC board.....and the first 2 were so so, but last 5 were OUTSTANDING....then anyway...i dont know from experience. Going from waht input I have heard from senior NCO's and from my prior MOS. Educate me with what ya have please...

Posts: 563 | Location: Camp Hovey, Korea | Registered: 23 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Career Counselor
posted Hide Post
Got it and I understand your point ....

Centralized Board instructions don't stipulate that you must see only the last 5 NCOERs. I work for a SGM that sat on the last MSG board; she said that she went back all seven NCOERS on a few Soldiers because she didn't think the latest ones provided a lot of justification.

The 3-5 NCOER is a guideline, depending on how many records one looks at. Depending on the CMF, you may be able to look through ALL NCOERS ... and some CMFs you can only see two or three.

Bottom line is, ALL NCOERs are important; it's the most important document when considering promotion. It's a "picture" of you to a person that has never met you before.

Now, if you receive a less than stellar first NCOER, don't fret on it. If you receive all Excellences and "1" / "1"s on your first one ... what's it gonna look like the next NCOER you get three or four Excellences and maybe a "2" block? We all need to look to improve, and that's what a board member sees.

Picture of PA_in_2ID
posted Hide Post
thanks