ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  General Community Discussion  Hop To Forums  General Discussion    Do you think this rates an award?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you think this rates an award?
 Login/Join

Picture of TheWiseChief
posted
Or the actions of the 1SG appropriate in today's social networking environment?

http://www.military.com/daily-...7000023467983&rank=2

http://thisainthell.us/blog/?p=57351

Posts: 1902 | Registered: 04 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Just my opinion here, but it just shows how petrified everyone is of falling on the wrong side of SHARP.

I personally don't feel that she wanted to "live the Army values" with her actions, but just wanted to take it as far as she possibly could with someone who pissed her off on the internet.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Corvette1140,

Posts: 2619 | Registered: 08 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TheWiseChief
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Corvette1140:
Just my opinion here, but it just shows how petrified everyone is of falling on the wrong side of SHARP.

I personally don't feel that she wanted to "live the Army values" with her actions, but just wanted to take it as far as she possibly could with someone who pissed her off on the internet.

My feelings is that we know how 1SGs operate and if she feels that this is within her lane; and other Soldier who agrees with her views to police; then so be it. But to receive an award for this type of engagement; was totally unnecessary in my view.

Posts: 1902 | Registered: 04 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Meanwhile, Joe whoe spends 9 months in theater patrolling gets an AAM, SMDH.

posted Hide Post
I kinda foreseen this ish coming, and is why I maintain relatively anonymous.

Picture of SFC Jive Turkey
posted Hide Post
I read the article and while it doesn't give too much information, I can say this does not warrant an ARCOM. We've all made jokes about how awards are routinely given out because of someone's rank and position rather than the job done. I don't think it takes much spine to stand up to someone on the internet. Good for her for saying something though, but many people live on social media websites and love a good argument.

I have no doubt she was simply addressing some bad behavior. What surprises me is the amount of resources that were involved. I do think Soldiers and in particular younger ones need more education about the consequences of saying things on public websites, but this is the case with many digital natives. At the end of the day, I think an ARCOM might have been much. Maybe someone thought a CoA was beneath a 1SG. This is speculation though. I don't know, but I truly believe the award should be based off the actions rather the rank.

Posts: 250 | Location: Fort Rucker | Registered: 21 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post