ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  General Community Discussion  Hop To Forums  General Discussion    Army 12 mile road march standards
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Army 12 mile road march standards
 Login/Join

posted
When I went to Air Assault and all the other "fun" courses I know the standard was 12 miles in 3 hours (15 minute miles).

I believe the standard changed some time back to 12 miles in 4 hours (20 minute miles) depending on the type of unit you were assigned to.

Anyone know what I have to reference or am I just out of my mind? Prefer official source links if possible. Maybe just something that was talked about a few years back?

I ask because I am now in one of those units that this may apply to. I know, get them in the best shape possible to pass the most stringent standards, but as a road march is a go/no go event I need to know the correct standards.

Everyone that I work with is familiar with the Air Assault standard of 12 miles in 3 hours but not any additional standards for the road march.

I did Google for reference with no luck.

Thanks

Posts: 15 | Registered: 10 August 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I do not believe there is an Army standard. Units usually have their own standards. I know the 18th Airborne Corps required you to complete a 12-mile road march twice a year or maybe it was every quarter in 4 hours.

So I believe where you need to look is in Unit SOPs or maybe Division SOPs.

I know of some Soldiers that have not lifted a rucksack since Basic Training.

Posts: 209 | Registered: 25 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Unfortunately that is my problem. No unit SOP addressing time requirements for the road march.

We are currently going off of the 12 mile / 3 hour standard that was used for Air Assault and the 18th Airborne Corps.

Soldiers PCSing from other places talk about the 4 hour standard. Was hoping there was an Army standard similar to that for PT (PU/SU/Run/Walk/Bike/Swim).

posted Hide Post
Is it a moot point? I mean obviously to ask this question somebody who is in a position of authority has established a standard. It does not necessarily have to be written down to be an SOP. You mention it is a Go/No Go event? What happens in you are No Go it?

If you don't meet the standard for the road march you can be forced to do remedial PT until you meet the standard. They cannot use it against you for promotion or NCOES. Unit standards cannot be used against a Soldier who fails to meet them because all Units are different.

I have seen Units treat Soldiers differently. For some reason the Infantry believes that if you can score a 300 on your PT test you are automatically one of the best Soldier's in the Unit. SO I can see that if a Soldier did not meet the Unit standard for Road March that they could get treated differently. I don't think that is right, but it does happen.

Posts: 209 | Registered: 25 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by InfantrytoSignal:
SO I can see that if a Soldier did not meet the Unit standard for Road March that they could get treated differently. I don't think that is right, but it does happen.

Exactly. That is why I am trying to find out anything I can in writing.
Our Commander is using the Air Assault / EIB / EFMB standard because he knows of no other.

He would be open to change if he can see it in black and white.
What do other units use as a standard?

The time issue really only affects the SPC and below as far as the order of merit roster goes.
Those who did not make the standard do not get the schools that those who made the 3 hours do.
He kind of treats it like failing a PT test.

Like you said, it may not be right but it does happen.

USAR Career Counselor
Picture of Daddy Warcrimes
posted Hide Post
I am aware of no Army wide standard. My experience has been 6 years of infantry and 6 of retention.

The only road march standard I've experienced was EIB. That standard only applied to EIB qualification.

In my grunt days we did a 12 mile every year for EIB. Only EIB candidates participated. One of the major reasons to earn the EIB was to not have to do that testing again (to include the march).

I haven't walked 12 miles in a single stretch now for over 6 years.

Your commander can set PT standards that exceed the regulatory standards. These should be based upon METL. While you can't be flagged or barred under local standards, remedial PT is one possible outcome.

If your CO wants to base optional school assignment (apart from NCOES and such), I believe that is his right.

FM 21-18 is your reference, let us know what you find.

Posts: 2867 | Location: 13th BN ARCD, AZ | Registered: 15 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
The 18th Airborne Corps standard is 20k in 4 hours.
We do ours next week, and as far as I know, its an annual event.

Posts: 71 | Location: MacDill AFB, Florida | Registered: 07 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Daddy Warcrimes:

FM 21-18 is your reference, let us know what you find.

I have already looked through the manual a few times looking for something. The following is the only thing that I could find that may be close to suggesting a standard. It was found on page 80 of the .pdf file.

b. After a 30-day preparatory training period, soldiers can
march 12 miles in less than 3 hours loaded to about 60 pounds,
when energy expenditure at that rate would cause exhaustion in
2.5 hours for soldiers who have not received special training. A
number of considerations should be examined when developing
a program for march conditioning.

That manual (FM 21-18) (the most current available for download using my AKO account) is dated 1990. I remember doing the 12 mile road march with the 3 hour standard at least 2x a year while at my various assignments in the early 1990s and while at Air Assault school. My last assignment I did the road marches 1 time per year and I was told that the standard had been changed from 3 hours to 4 hours for certain types of non combat units. I am now again in one of those units and we are just starting to implement road marches into our PT. The only problem is that I really do not have a higher up to go to as we are a satellite unit with our BN and BDE located outside of our geographical area.

Without policy or other type of guidance the standard will be 20K (12 miles) in 3 hours. I was hoping to find a reference for the policy stating 4 hours if it exists. Making the 20K in 3 hours would be a great incentive for soldiers trying to get the special schools and a higher ranking on the unit order or merit list but for those who do not need it or cannot make the 3 hour standard I was hoping to find a reference for the 4 hour time standard.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paquizzle:
The 18th Airborne Corps standard is 20k in 4 hours.
We do ours next week, and as far as I know, its an annual event.

Does your unit reference an AR, DA Pam or even a local soldiers book or SOP of any type? If so is it available for download?

I know some of the units have SOPs available online for reference. While I was at Fort Drum we were issued a "Blue Book" that had to be carried at all times which listed the basic standards exspected of soldiers while at Fort Drum. It included things like what head gear could be worn where (patrol cap in the motor pool only) and PT routes for running among other things.

Any unit specific reference, even if it is a local SOP would be greatly appreciated if you can share. My current commander is using the Air Assault and 18th Airbone times as a standard. If you are correct and have 4 hours, then I guess that the 3 hour time is wrong. I am just trying to get some facts to dispel he said/she said.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rretorts:

Does your unit reference an AR, DA Pam or even a local soldiers book or SOP of any type? If so is it available for download?

I know some of the units have SOPs available online for reference. While I was at Fort Drum we were issued a "Blue Book" that had to be carried at all times which listed the basic standards exspected of soldiers while at Fort Drum. It included things like what head gear could be worn where (patrol cap in the motor pool only) and PT routes for running among other things.

Any unit specific reference, even if it is a local SOP would be greatly appreciated if you can share. My current commander is using the Air Assault and 18th Airbone times as a standard. If you are correct and have 4 hours, then I guess that the 3 hour time is wrong. I am just trying to get some facts to dispel he said/she said.

I will ask when I get in today.We have been training to the 4 hour standard, so lets hope I am correct Smiler

Posts: 71 | Location: MacDill AFB, Florida | Registered: 07 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

USAR Career Counselor
Picture of Daddy Warcrimes
posted Hide Post
quote:

That manual (FM 21-18) (the most current available for download using my AKO account) is dated 1990.

Walking hasn't changed much in the past 19 years.

You also might check 21-20 but I doubt you'll find anything there either.

My belief is that there is no Army wide standard. Any published standard would be up to the unit to publish.

The Army recognizes that many things are best left to the discretion of the local commander. This is one of those things.

My organization for example has no policy regarding foot marches since they are quite unrelated to our METL. Such a march can be a challenge for even those who are well conditioned. I can see absolutely no reason why a bunch of career counselors (many of which in the latter years of their careers) would need to march 12 miles with a load, much less in in 3 hours (there would be hospitalizations).

If your commander wants to have a foot march standard, it should be published in a policy letter. If it not, use your general military authority and make that recommendation.

Posts: 2867 | Location: 13th BN ARCD, AZ | Registered: 15 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paquizzle:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by rretorts:

I will ask when I get in today.We have been training to the 4 hour standard, so lets hope I am correct Smiler

Thank you for your efforts. Now I guess I am just trying to see if I can find any command level SOP or regulation.

posted Hide Post
FM 21-18 pg. 3-11 states:

(2) The commander considers all of the factors that affect
marches and selects a rate that will place his unit at its destination
in the shortest time and combat-ready condition. The unit SOP
usually states the rate for marches on roads and cross-country,
over normal terrain, and day or night. (See Appendix A.) The
column commander modifies this rate to suit his needs, which
varies greatly in mountain, jungle, desert, or arctic areas. Rates
of march usually prescribed for normal terrain are as follows:
Roads (kph) Cross-country (kph)
Day 4.0 2.4

Limited 3.2 1.6
Visibility

That's the closest I can find to an Army standard

Posts: 1 | Registered: 25 August 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Daddy Warcrimes:
quote:

That manual (FM 21-18) (the most current available for download using my AKO account) is dated 1990.

Walking hasn't changed much in the past 19 years.

You also might check 21-20 but I doubt you'll find anything there either.

My belief is that there is no Army wide standard. Any published standard would be up to the unit to publish.

The Army recognizes that many things are best left to the discretion of the local commander. This is one of those things.

My organization for example has no policy regarding foot marches since they are quite unrelated to our METL. Such a march can be a challenge for even those who are well conditioned. I can see absolutely no reason why a bunch of career counselors (many of which in the latter years of their careers) would need to march 12 miles with a load, much less in in 3 hours (there would be hospitalizations).

If your commander wants to have a foot march standard, it should be published in a policy letter. If it not, use your general military authority and make that recommendation.

a good reason would be your still a soldier and with that being said "soldiering" should still be in your basic skill set

Posts: 244 | Location: ft hood | Registered: 25 February 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of SSG. T
posted Hide Post
Kind of off topic, but I could never understand why we road march in the Army? I mean first off, it's more like a ruck run if you're short like me, and when it's all said and done, you're worse for the wear. Your feet turn to hamburger, especially if you have flat duck-like feet as I do, and your legs are like over cooked pasta for the nest 3 days. To me it serves no purpose other than to destroy your knees and ankles and mangle your feet. I remember being down range and walking on what seemed like endless foot patrols, but none were even close to the pace of the ruck marches back at Bragg. Why the hell do you have to walk so damned fast anyhow? Really when have any of you been down range walking at that pace with a full combat load for 12 miles? Now watch a bunch of you come out the wood work with your "when I was down range we ran 12 miles with a full combat load all the way back to the FOB" stories, save your key strokes. Moreoever why the hell do you have to walk 12 miles?!? I'm hard pressed to drive 12 miles let alone walk/run with 60lbs on my back. Ruck marching is something the army should have done away with right along with the OD green uniforms.

Posts: 571 | Registered: 29 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post