Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Retirement
 Login/Join

posted
If you hit 20 years and you are a SSG is it retirement or RCP? I'll be 20 years with 20 days by my ETS date.

Posts: 6 | Registered: 13 June 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Did you apply for retirement? You are eligible to retire at 20 years.

Posts: 12 | Registered: 10 January 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
No I havent yet. But my question is, when I reach my ETS date I would be 20 years with 20 days, Can I retire and collect retirement or is it RCP and I dont collect anything just a hand shake and thank you for your service?

Picture of TheWiseChief
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Military Police:
No I havent yet. But my question is, when I reach my ETS date I would be 20 years with 20 days, Can I retire and collect retirement or is it RCP and I dont collect anything just a hand shake and thank you for your service?

If you will have 20 years active federal service, you will retire with a pension. When you are at 18, you hit sanctuary and can start the transition process. You can submit your retirement packet at your 19 year mark.

Posts: 1902 | Registered: 04 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thank you very much guys for your replies.

posted Hide Post
Do they count basic and AIT time? I heard they don't count basic or AIT time for retirement. Is that true?

Picture of TheWiseChief
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Military Police:
Do they count basic and AIT time? I heard they don't count basic or AIT time for retirement. Is that true?

I don't know who told you that information because that is false. When you start basic training as an active duty servicemember, that starts your 20-year clock. Just look at your ERB and look at your BASD date. That date starts counting your first date of active service.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TheWiseChief,

Posts: 1902 | Registered: 04 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thanks Chief. I actually heard it from a SFC. I contacted VA to find more info and they told me same thing you are saying. Thank you very much Chief for your replies.